Lonely

Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:46 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lonely

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Boost Boost Boost

Sorry but I don't see where Americans are that different at all thats always confused me when folk make that comment

I dont think their different either.... but there again I dont need loads of people in my life all the time.. I have a few american friends here that I go to lunch with or coffee but we can go months without contacting each other they have busy lives and so do I.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I don't see where Americans are that different at all thats always confused me when folk make that comment
I certainly agree with this! If you move to a new place in the UK, how do you make friends? Just apply that to a new place in the US! I think there is too much looking backwards at what has been left behind -- let go and embrace what is ahead of you.

I see posts about not having "a shared history" -- but USCs are just people! They go to school, they fall in and out of love, they hate their boss, they miss loved ones who move away or die. Not everyone you meet is going to be a bosom buddy -- are you really friends with every English person you meet? -- some will just be acquaintances who come and go with the wind. Others will blossom into friends who will stand by you for life. Take your time making friends, and you will know who is right for you -- nothing good and lasting happens overnight.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Nothing I dont have time, I go on vacation every 2 weeks

I will be in your Walmart one day
And I will be there, watching for the crazier lady..... You know, the one that knocks on odd doors....
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:54 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I certainly agree with this! If you move to a new place in the UK, how do you make friends? Just apply that to a new place in the US! I think there is too much looking backwards at what has been left behind -- let go and embrace what is ahead of you.

I see posts about not having "a shared history" -- but USCs are just people! They go to school, they fall in and out of love, they hate their boss, they miss loved ones who move away or die. Not everyone you meet is going to be a bosom buddy -- are you really friends with every English person you meet? -- some will just be acquaintances who come and go with the wind. Others will blossom into friends who will stand by you for life. Take your time making friends, and you will know who is right for you -- nothing good and lasting happens overnight.
Well said
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

What comment? That she's going to be in my local WalMart?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Well said!

Just watch out for the crazy lady at WalMart..... Just saying.....
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Generalization lovey
The boost part was aimed at Candy re:vacations
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:57 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

lmao
no the comment that Americans are different than Brits
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:58 pm

lmao
no the comment that Americans are different than Brits
Thanks god you and I are in tune with each other
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Generalization lovey
The boost part was aimed at Candy re:vacations
[QUOTE=candy wy.;8693883]lmao
no the comment that Americans are different than Brits[/QUOTE

Thought you were commenting on what Candy said.... Alright, I haven't finished my coffee yet....
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:02 pm

[QUOTE=AmerLisa;8693887]
lmao
no the comment that Americans are different than Brits[/QUOTE

Thought you were commenting on what Candy said.... Alright, I haven't finished my coffee yet....
Yep and you f@@ked the quotes up as well, lol late night dear!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:03 pm
staying around

Is that why your doing a Willmore
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Poppy girl;8693890]

Yep and you f@@ked the quotes up as well, lol late night dear!
Is that why your doing a Willmore
Sigh.....

Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ellie-May
Hi I have been here for nearly 3 years and do not know anyone. I do not work and I am stuck at home all the time. I am finding it very difficult living here and I am feeling very isolated and lonely. I really wish I had someone to talk to. I find the Americans very different, everything is becoming a problem. I have been married for 2 years and not sure what I should do. I feel like going home if things don't change. I am unable to work as I have severe neck problems and I am in pain 24/7.
My life saver since being here was to get a dog. I'd take him out twice a day (great motivation for getting me out of my pit) and eventually I got talking to the same people I'd see every day at the dog park. I now have a group of 5/6 really close friends who I see every day and we also go for lunches/drinking/movies/shopping trips and so on. (Some of my friends are fellow expats too, we all had the same idea lol).

If you can manage to walk a little every day then this would be a great way for you to get out. Many shelters offer a foster to adoption programme so you could start off by fostering first to see if you could handle owning a dog.

Of course, if you have allergies or have a no pet policy where you live, this post is useless lol.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to not comment on things like this because it just ends up in frustration or falling on deaf ears, but did it ever occur (and this is NOT directed at any individual post here) that it's you who has the ability to do something about this?
I know every part of the country is different, and that there will be a dozen objections to why this won't work where you live, but where I am, I can hardly keep my neighbors away. We have a block party every summer, that everyone participates in. We have a holiday home tour party in December. We're having a meeting this week aptly titled Know Your Neighborhood, for disaster preparedness and crime prevention planning, we all gab when we're passing and someone is in the yard, we meet up at the Farmer's Market, most of us who work from home go out for coffee whenever someone's bored or wants out for an hour.. I can hardly get any alone time away from them!

I joined the neighborhood association and attend the monthly meetings. There's a buttload of stuff to volunteer and participate in with that.. in other words, as much effort as I put into it, I get back more than enough socializing and friendly neighborliness. I wanted to walk a dog, so I offered to walk the next door's when they're at work; now I have someone I can leave my housekey with if I want to go away. Trade favors, do something for someone, ask for help, advice, information you may even already know.

I just find it discouraging to read over and over about how insular Americans are and how in your lap British are when I can't seem to get rid of the Americans I have! The most recent Brit we've met here only wants to socialize with Brits or talk about things British and he's lived here 20 years.
Dh didn't want anything to do with him, even though they have a passionate shared interest.

It's one of those days when I just don't get it. Had to have my little rant.

Last edited by meauxna; Jul 12th 2010 at 3:04 am. Reason: depersonalize

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.