Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London - Susan Handbags

London - Susan Handbags

Old May 18th 2014, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default London - Susan Handbags

Okay, this might appear to come out nowhere... but is anyone familiar with this shop? Specifically, I'm trying to track down it's history, owners, etc - especially as it pertains to the mid-1960s. All leads welcome!

Oh... it's a great story if anyone is curious - and involves the rich and famous!

Ian
Old May 20th 2014, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London - Susan Handbags

Okay, it appears that Susan Handbags closed years ago. More's the pity... it was a very popular store on Bond St. back in the day, and counted amongst its clients some very high profile people. Thanks anyway!

Ian
Old May 20th 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

I think I found out as much as you did, in that the store was in Bond Street. I did find a website that had a photograph from Vogue in 1957 (I think) and the model had a "Susan" handbag.

I've contacted a friend that deals in Vintage clothing (mainly bags and scarves) to see if she's heard of them. I'm also going to ask my mother as my parents (especially father) were into the whole Soho jazz scene of the 50's and early 60's. My claim to fame is that dad was briefly moved in the same circles as Francis Bacon and he and mum were invited to his studio. When they came away, dad asked mum what she thought (meaning the artwork) and mums reply was "Well did you notice the state of his curtains!).
Old May 20th 2014, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
I think I found out as much as you did, in that the store was in Bond Street. I did find a website that had a photograph from Vogue in 1957 (I think) and the model had a "Susan" handbag.

I've contacted a friend that deals in Vintage clothing (mainly bags and scarves) to see if she's heard of them. I'm also going to ask my mother as my parents (especially father) were into the whole Soho jazz scene of the 50's and early 60's. My claim to fame is that dad was briefly moved in the same circles as Francis Bacon and he and mum were invited to his studio. When they came away, dad asked mum what she thought (meaning the artwork) and mums reply was "Well did you notice the state of his curtains!).
How cool.
Old May 20th 2014, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How cool.
We have a poster at home that Francis gave to dad. It was just a run of the mill poster advertising an exhibition he was having, but it's our "heirloom"! He also came and visited mum in hospital when she had my sister. In fact, he actually held my sister. Mum had some interesting stories about parties that they attended during that era.

Two other claims to fame: Dad built the desk that the Two Ronnies sat at when saying "And it's goodnight from me/him" at the end of the show.

Dad also worked on the sets for "Oliver" and was mainly responsible for "Fagin's Kitchen". You can only imagine how many times we had to watch the blooming film whilst growing up
Old May 20th 2014, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We have a poster at home that Francis gave to dad. It was just a run of the mill poster advertising an exhibition he was having, but it's our "heirloom"! He also came and visited mum in hospital when she had my sister. In fact, he actually held my sister. Mum had some interesting stories about parties that they attended during that era.

Two other claims to fame: Dad built the desk that the Two Ronnies sat at when saying "And it's goodnight from me/him" at the end of the show.

Dad also worked on the sets for "Oliver" and was mainly responsible for "Fagin's Kitchen". You can only imagine how many times we had to watch the blooming film whilst growing up
Ha ha what excellent claims to fame!
Old May 20th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's the link to the Vogue photo: http://barefootvintage.wordpress.com...usan-handbags/

It's the fifth photo down.
Old May 20th 2014, 11:35 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

very cool
Old May 20th 2014, 11:46 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Since we are coming out of the closet about handbags, my US ex was nuts about Radley in 2003, and the little dog motiff. I never knew if Radley was a special brand, somehow unique? I just remember being dragged to out of the way stores where she spent what I thought was a fortune on handbags
Old May 20th 2014, 11:55 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Tell us the story Ian!
Old May 21st 2014, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RICH
Since we are coming out of the closet about handbags, my US ex was nuts about Radley in 2003, and the little dog motiff. I never knew if Radley was a special brand, somehow unique? I just remember being dragged to out of the way stores where she spent what I thought was a fortune on handbags
I had no idea they were special either, until we were out in a group of British women and one had a soft leather Radley bag, unfortunately someone's kid spilled a load of chocolate ice cream all over it and the kid's mum then tried to get it off with baby wipes, handing the soggy mess back "good as new!"
Old May 21st 2014, 12:11 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Okay, this might appear to come out nowhere... but is anyone familiar with this shop? Specifically, I'm trying to track down it's history, owners, etc - especially as it pertains to the mid-1960s. All leads welcome!

Oh... it's a great story if anyone is curious - and involves the rich and famous!

Ian

If you want to buy a Susan handbag, there appear to be some on ebay.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Yes. I am very curious.

I have the shop's address as 68 New Bond Street. circa 1965. Phone number was Mayfair 8673.

If the company was registered it may be possible to find out details of this via UK National Archives.

Last edited by BEVS; May 21st 2014 at 1:06 am.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I couldn't care less about labels and don't think I've ever owned anything 'special' with the exception of Radley purses. I'm on my third now - over a 20 year period. Won't carry anything else. Can't get them over here though so thank god for online shopping.
Old May 21st 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I couldn't care less about labels and don't think I've ever owned anything 'special' with the exception of Radley purses. I'm on my third now - over a 20 year period. Won't carry anything else. Can't get them over here though so thank god for online shopping.
I'm on my second Radley purse!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.