Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London to Santa Monica - Cost of Living help

Wikiposts

London to Santa Monica - Cost of Living help

Old Jun 24th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to Santa Monica - Cost of Living help

Originally Posted by JinxyCat
we were hoping to pay no more than $6k per month in rent -
@lilly77 I've also been reading good things about the Canyon Elementary, but not sure where their catchment areas is. Good luck with your visa - is it an H1?
Gorgeous, posh very $$$$$y neighborhood...the best
Doubt you'd find what you need for that price.
I'd imagine it would be more like at least $20,000mo - with little for rent
Many rentals have been on the market because people were unable to sell (That's been the case with a place next door to me)
Now that market's supposedly turned round - buyers are many and houses are few. Consequently - there's a scarcity of available rentals
Old Jun 24th 2014, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

$6,000 wouldn't get you a huge amount even in Calabasas I'm afraid.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Cruising around that area last year on holiday in a rental car - SM was nice but I liked the vibe of Manhattan Beach the best. Venice Beach was OK, though not my style.
I'd love to hear what Sally has to say about Manhattan Beach. After all, all I did was go out to restaurants there and cruise around 2 evenings.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Cruising around that area last year on holiday in a rental car - SM was nice but I liked the vibe of Manhattan Beach the best. Venice Beach was OK, though not my style.
I'd love to hear what Sally has to say about Manhattan Beach. After all, all I did was go out to restaurants there and cruise around 2 evenings.
Me? I don't know much about it. Seems pretty nice, maybe a bit 'precious' for want of a better word. It's a bit of a drive for us. We always used to got to Santa Monica for the beach/shopping/eating and Venice for a change of vibe. Now we've moved closer to Malibu Canyon, we tend to go to Malibu or Zuma.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Me? I don't know much about it. Seems pretty nice, maybe a bit 'precious' for want of a better word. It's a bit of a drive for us. We always used to got to Santa Monica for the beach/shopping/eating and Venice for a change of vibe. Now we've moved closer to Malibu Canyon, we tend to go to Malibu or Zuma.
Never been as far up as Malibu or Zuma. Must do next time.
Not sure what you mean by it being precious.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JinxyCat
So, my husband has an offer from his company to transfer him to Santa Monica (SM)

Can someone on here give me an indication of where might be good to live, and what the likely cost of renting 4 bedroom house might be?

We want to live within 30-45min commute of downtown SM as his office will be near 3rd & Santa Monica Boulevard.
well..this is 1k more than your other posts indicates you'd be looking to pay...but it's in Pacific Palisades - a great, family oriented neighborhood, adjacent to Santa Monica (a 15 min. drive to where you say your husband's office will be located). No pool but quite nicely furnished with garden etc.

664 Haverford Ave Pacific Palisades, CA 90272 | MLS# 14-764399 | Coldwell Banker

another:
http://www.trulia.com/rental/3085325...onica-CA-90403

Last edited by MMcD; Jun 28th 2014 at 7:28 am.