Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Old Dec 30th 2016, 6:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I know he came here in 1968, was a well known body builder but at that time it didn't mean very much. He rose to fame in the 1970's with many world titles and got into movies in the early eighties.
Unlike the OP, Arnold was brought to the USA and trained/promoted by Joe Weider. Joe Weider: Bodybuilder who discovered Arnold Schwarzenegger | The Independent

He did not show up with minimal skills hoping that the USA would give him a better life. He had already worked out what he wanted to do and he was on his way to becoming a world class body builder anyway.

I think that one of the irritating things about many of these "desperate to immigrate" people is that they don't want to hear about the hard work over years that may be necessary to do it.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think I read that Arnie's visa status in the US in the early years was more than a bit questionable.
I'm sure I've read that too.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 6:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'm sure I've read that too.
I think I've read that too. But we're not going to get Arnie saying that now are we??
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I think I've read that too. But we're not going to get Arnie saying that now are we??
I suspect the level of scrutiny & leeway in 1968 was rather different to that in 2016.

Also agree with your post about Arnie's situation being different to that of the OP .
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
My name is Arnold from Austria. I am moving to California to pursue a career in body building and later plan to star in a few movies and maybe go into politics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dreams can have great value whether ever realized or not.
I agree having dreams can be a great value. I think everyone responding is trying to be helpful at pointing out the obvious to help realize the dream- except in this case the dream isn't very clear. And listening to others who for example have been or lived in California just common sense.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 12:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are all very mean, what happened to BE being a Safe Space?
Old Dec 31st 2016, 3:24 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think you are all very mean, what happened to BE being a Safe Space?

Pulaski - now I understand!
Old Jan 4th 2017, 3:16 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you said in your original post that you would never e able to afford a home in the UK. California is one of THE most expensive places to live in the US - house prices are sky high - i doubt you will ever be able to affords to buy there either.