Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London Interview Medical Query

London Interview Medical Query

Old May 8th 2002, 11:24 am
Just Joined

tosh32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London Interview Medical Query

What vaccinations are requires for the medical part of the interview? I don't have a vaccination certificate so my GP can give me the relavant jabs for free to save me having to pay for it either at the embassy or at AOS.
Old May 8th 2002, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London Interview Medical Query

You need tetanus-diptheria if it's more than 10 years since your last one. You also need measles-mumps-rubella. Your GP can charge for the MMR.
Old May 8th 2002, 5:40 pm
Rogerpenycate

tosh32 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > What vaccinations are requires for the medical part of the interview? I don't have
    > a vaccination certificate so my GP can give me the relavant jabs for free to save
    > me having to pay for it either at the embassy or at AOS.

I can't remember where I found it but there is a chart somewhere (I think on the
London US Embassy site) it shows every jab that's needed dependant upon your age. I'm
going through the process in London now, I'm 52 and the only one I needed was
Diptheria/Tetanus which I had at my GP's (for free) last week. They couldn't believe
the prices charges at the Embassy doctor. Unfortunately I left the chart with them
but it's certainly on one of the US/Immigration sites. Good Luck

Old May 8th 2002, 5:40 pm
S.M.

The chart is here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/vaccine.htm

S.M.

Old May 8th 2002, 6:10 pm
Krysss

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm

Is the chart given at the London Embassy website. I just got mine done today, and had
no record of anything with my doctor, so I needed DT and the MMR, which according to
the chart and my age (32) is what I needed.

I may have been stupid in telling them that it was not a holiday vaccination I was
asking for, as they made me pay for them. Perhaps anyone who still wants to get them
done prior to the interview should stick with the holiday story

The cost to me was only £10 each, therfore working out to £20 over all. I was given a
small booklet called a "Vaccines Record Chart" signed by the nurse, and also a
receipt showing the cost and date of the vaccinations. Which I am hoping to use as
evidence that I have indeed had the vaccinations required.

One other point I would like to bring up is that my intended in the states showed me
this page on the London Embassy site
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web.../add_males.htm Which is apparently a new
form for all males to fill in between 16 and 45. Is this relevant for me going
through the K1 process? I have downloaded and filled it in anyway, but cannot
remember seeing mention of it in the rather fantastic info contained in this
newsgroup.

Krysss

P.S. I asked the nurse if there were any side effects from the injections, to which
she replied, possible arm ache an maybe flu like symptoms. So me being a chap,
I can spend the next few days acting as if I am the first person on the planet
ever to have been sick!!

ROGERPENYCATE <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > tosh32 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > What vaccinations are requires for the medical part of the interview? I don't
    > > have a vaccination certificate so my GP can give me the relavant jabs for free to
    > > save me having to pay for it either at the embassy or at AOS.
    >
    > I can't remember where I found it but there is a chart somewhere (I think on the
    > London US Embassy site) it shows every jab that's needed dependant upon your age.
    > I'm going through the process in London now, I'm 52 and the only one I needed was
    > Diptheria/Tetanus which I had at my GP's (for free) last week. They couldn't
    > believe the prices charges at the Embassy doctor. Unfortunately I left the chart
    > with them but it's certainly on one of the US/Immigration sites. Good Luck

Old May 8th 2002, 7:20 pm
Nick Hardy

The vaccinations are listed on :

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/medexam.htm

Do you (or does anyone else) know if the vaccinations have to be taken before the
visa is issued or can you scuttle off in your own sweet time, visa in hand, to have
them done on the cheap?

Nick (At the doctors on the 13th, eek, hurray)

tosh32 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > What vaccinations are requires for the medical part of the interview? I don't have
    > a vaccination certificate so my GP can give me the relavant jabs for free to save
    > me having to pay for it either at the embassy or at AOS.

Old May 10th 2002, 4:20 pm
Sams

[email protected] (Nick Hardy) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > The vaccinations are listed on :
    >
    > http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/medexam.htm
    >
    > Do you (or does anyone else) know if the vaccinations have to be taken before the
    > visa is issued or can you scuttle off in your own sweet time, visa in hand, to have
    > them done on the cheap?
    >
    > Nick (At the doctors on the 13th, eek, hurray)
    >
    > tosh32 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > What vaccinations are requires for the medical part of the interview? I don't
    > > have a vaccination certificate so my GP can give me the relavant jabs for free to
    > > save me having to pay for it either at the embassy or at AOS.

What do you do if you received a measles jab and a rubella jab as a child but never
had the mumps jab. I had the mumps- hence, I won't get it again. Will they still make
me take the MMR?

Old May 10th 2002, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sams

What do you do if you received a measles jab and a rubella jab as a child but never
had the mumps jab. I had the mumps- hence, I won't get it again. Will they still make
me take the MMR?
If you have proof that you had mumps, then you won't need to get the vaccination.

I had a photocopy of the page in my medical notes that said "bilateral mumps", and that was enough for Dr P. Along with childhood jab records for measles and a hospital blood test results saying I was immune to rubella, I didn't need the MMR at all.