British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   London interview after RFE's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/london-interview-after-rfes-109291/)

rogerpenycate Jul 18th 2002 9:44 pm

London interview after RFE's

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.
Having been refused last week I returned to London with the
two documents that were required, and was lead to believe it would be a doddle....WRONG.
I caught the train down to London, and due to the Tube strike
had to walk most of the 3/4 miles to the Embassy !!!
I got there just after 9am.
Went to booth 1 and handed in my documents and sat down.
The same as last week there were lots of people there pre-medical and later on those from post-medical.
So I sit there for 2 hours and eventually my name was called to
Booth 6 (one of the 2 Consular officers)
It was the same two officers that were there last week, however
I was called to the "other one"
To my surprise he had my complete "file" in front of him and the whole process started again.
At the first interview last week, the officer went through all of the OK bits and then informed me of the 2 items I needed,
Fair enough.
Today, I went through a more nerve wracking experience than last week.
The guy that interviewed me was obviously the junior one (for those of you that have been interviewd in London you will know who I mean) and started asking me all of the questions I thought I would have been asked last week (but wasn't)
I was grilled.............
He then went through the Affadavit and couldn't get to grips with
the fact that my wife had a maiden name, her earnings, and couldn't understand how the first officer had "approved me" pending the showing of the two missing documents.
I was asked to sit down again.......
I waited another half hour whilst they discussed my situation, and was then called forward again.
It transpired that the 2nd guy hadn't noticed that I had originally been approved on my "property assets"
He then said "I apologise, there has been some confusion" please come back at 1 and your visa will be waiting"

I needed a cigarette, and went outside (for 2)
When I went back inside I sat down for another hour and was called forward and given the visas and (mysterious brown envelope) which are nothing more than the complete set of documents that have been coralated into a brown envelope with the visa stapled to the front)
I was asked to check the information on the visa, and if I was happy then I could go (and was wished good luck in America)

There was a guy there who I had met the previous week, who was refused again, something to do with a cocaine offence, he was devasted, but left knowing what he had to do, and was certain that he would eventually be approved.

If anyone was mistaken (as I was) that on the I-864 where it says "Immigrant spouse's income" means that the Uk spouse can
include his/her income on the affadvit, it is WRONG.

A word of advice, there was one guy there about 25 years old, who sort of breezed into the place as if he owned it (we've all met them)
He was so big-headed and cocky, the sort of "geezer" most people take an instant dislike to.
I'm not sure why, but he was refused, I don't know why, it is unlikely that it was just because of his attitude, however I'm also sure that his "attitude" didn't indear him to the Officer.
I leave that for you to decide, suffice it say that everyone else there who just sat down quietly, waiting, seemed to be approved.

Good luck to all who follow.
Roger (+ Ida)
I get closer to snogging my wife

I don't believe in "I've got mine now you get yours"
If I can help anyone, based on my experience, please ask, and I'll do my best

Kittycat Jul 19th 2002 6:20 am

Re: London interview after RFE's

Congrates Roger on your london interview, I have stopped smoking but might start
again soon ... Was the paper work from your x wife ok ? I still have to ask what it
said sorry... My x has given me his conset but needs to kown what to write.. Do I
take it that you now have a visa and can fly over any time now ? or have you already
gone lol all the best rogerpenycate <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hopefully this will help someone in the future. Having been refused last week I
    > returned to London with the two documents that were required, and was lead to
    > believe it would be a doddle....WRONG. I caught the train down to London, and due
    > to the Tube strike had to walk most of the 3/4 miles to the Embassy !!! I got there
    > just after 9am. Went to booth 1 and handed in my documents and sat down. The same
    > as last week there were lots of people there pre-medical and later on those from
    > post-medical. So I sit there for 2 hours and eventually my name was called to Booth
    > 6 (one of the 2 Consular officers) It was the same two officers that were there
    > last week, however I was called to the "other one" To my surprise he had my
    > complete "file" in front of him and the whole process started again. At the first
    > interview last week, the officer went through all of the OK bits and then informed
    > me of the 2 items I needed, Fair enough. Today, I went through a more nerve
    > wracking experience than last week. The guy that interviewed me was obviously the
    > junior one (for those of you that have been interviewd in London you will know who
    > I mean) and started asking me all of the questions I thought I would have been
    > asked last week (but wasn't) I was grilled............. He then went through the
    > Affadavit and couldn't get to grips with the fact that my wife had a maiden name,
    > her earnings, and couldn't understand how the first officer had "approved me"
    > pending the showing of the two missing documents. I was asked to sit down
    > again....... I waited another half hour whilst they discussed my situation, and was
    > then called forward again. It transpired that the 2nd guy hadn't noticed that I had
    > originally been approved on my "property assets" He then said "I apologise, there
    > has been some confusion" please come back at 1 and your visa will be waiting"
    >
    > I needed a cigarette, and went outside (for 2) When I went back inside I sat down
    > for another hour and was called forward and given the visas and (mysterious brown
    > envelope) which are nothing more than the complete set of documents that have been
    > coralated into a brown envelope with the visa stapled to the front) I was asked to
    > check the information on the visa, and if I was happy then I could go (and was
    > wished good luck in America)
    >
    > There was a guy there who I had met the previous week, who was refused again,
    > something to do with a cocaine offence, he was devasted, but left knowing what he
    > had to do, and was certain that he would eventually be approved.
    >
    > If anyone was mistaken (as I was) that on the I-864 where it says "Immigrant
    > spouse's income" means that the Uk spouse can include his/her income on the
    > affadvit, it is WRONG.
    >
    > A word of advice, there was one guy there about 25 years old, who sort of breezed
    > into the place as if he owned it (we've all met them) He was so big-headed and
    > cocky, the sort of "geezer" most people take an instant dislike to. I'm not sure
    > why, but he was refused, I don't know why, it is unlikely that it was just because
    > of his attitude, however I'm also sure that his "attitude" didn't indear him to the
    > Officer. I leave that for you to decide, suffice it say that everyone else there
    > who just sat down quietly, waiting, seemed to be approved.
    >
    > Good luck to all who follow. Roger (+ Ida) I get closer to snogging my wife
    >
    > I don't believe in "I've got mine now you get yours" If I can help anyone, based on
    > my experience, please ask, and I'll do my best
    >
    >
    >
    > --

rogerpenycate Jul 19th 2002 7:56 am

Hi,
If you look at one of my other postings earlier, I've written it all down regarding the consent letter.
Yep, I got my visa but won't be going for about a month (still
waiting for house sale completion)

good luck
Roger

swoosh Jul 19th 2002 9:05 am

I had a pretty similar experience at Frankfurt consulate this week. I didn't expect to be grilled either but I was and I think that is when they can get to you the most.

My fiance and I have known each other for almost 9 years now. I have physically lived in the US for 5 years and although we did not live together we lived in the same small town. I moved back to Germany February 2001 and we have seen each other about every 3 months since then. We showed them pictures of us throughout the 9 years and pictures of each one of those recent visits. Provided them with airline tickets and passport stamps and bday cards and such. Still the lady interviewing me said we cannot show that what we have is a genuine relationship. I couldn't believe it! I think I looked at her in horror, mouth open and everything =). But yes I can totally relate to what you went through Roger. I am glad it worked out for you in the end though =).

All the best,
Jeannine

Rob S Jul 19th 2002 9:23 am

I am a UK citizen married to an American and in the process of obtaining a spouses visa through the US Embassy in London.
we just received 'package 3' and have couple of questions:
1. In respect of I-864, my wife will be a student in the states from september and therefore have no income - however by that time we will have sold our london home and the proceeds will significantly exceed the amount stipulated (125% of poverty level).
How best do we communicate this to the Embassy and thus avoid problems?
2. My wifes federal tax returns are already back in the states, they can be accessed if necessary but would add little to the issue of 'support' as they relate to work in the UK which she will not have by the time of the interview. Are they still required?

Finally, in the pack there is a check list that says I must return 'form 'OF-230' but the form supplied is form 'DS-230' - do I need to obtain the correct form or will it be alright to return the one supplied?

thanks Rob

mrpilock Jul 19th 2002 9:52 am

hi Rob,
Im going through the same process but already have my appointment date 1st Aug.
I think the best thing re the sale of your house is to get a letter from the estate agents giving the current market value of your house.
Yes you will still need to have your wifes tax returns.
Not sure about the ds-230 but im sure some will fill you in on that one. Hope it helps.

Kind regards

Keith

P.s all the best Roger & Kate keep in touch and give our regards to Ida

Colin R. Nichol Jul 19th 2002 11:20 am

Congratulations and best wishes. Thanks for taking the time to report back and answer
questions.

Best wishes,

Colin

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hopefully this will help someone in the future. Having been refused last week I
    > returned to London with the two documents that were required, and was lead to
    > believe it would be a doddle....WRONG. I caught the train down to London, and due
    > to the Tube strike had to walk most of the 3/4 miles to the Embassy !!! I got there
    > just after 9am. Went to booth 1 and handed in my documents and sat down. The same
    > as last week there were lots of people there pre-medical and later on those from
    > post-medical. So I sit there for 2 hours and eventually my name was called to Booth
    > 6 (one of the 2 Consular officers) It was the same two officers that were there
    > last week, however I was called to the "other one" To my surprise he had my
    > complete "file" in front of him and the whole process started again. At the first
    > interview last week, the officer went through all of the OK bits and then informed
    > me of the 2 items I needed, Fair enough. Today, I went through a more nerve
    > wracking experience than last week. The guy that interviewed me was obviously the
    > junior one (for those of you that have been interviewd in London you will know who
    > I mean) and started asking me all of the questions I thought I would have been
    > asked last week (but wasn't) I was grilled............. He then went through the
    > Affadavit and couldn't get to grips with the fact that my wife had a maiden name,
    > her earnings, and couldn't understand how the first officer had "approved me"
    > pending the showing of the two missing documents. I was asked to sit down
    > again....... I waited another half hour whilst they discussed my situation, and was
    > then called forward again. It transpired that the 2nd guy hadn't noticed that I had
    > originally been approved on my "property assets" He then said "I apologise, there
    > has been some confusion" please come back at 1 and your visa will be waiting"
    >
    > I needed a cigarette, and went outside (for 2) When I went back inside I sat down
    > for another hour and was called forward and given the visas and (mysterious brown
    > envelope) which are nothing more than the complete set of documents that have been
    > coralated into a brown envelope with the visa stapled to the front) I was asked to
    > check the information on the visa, and if I was happy then I could go (and was
    > wished good luck in America)
    >
    > There was a guy there who I had met the previous week, who was refused again,
    > something to do with a cocaine offence, he was devasted, but left knowing what he
    > had to do, and was certain that he would eventually be approved.
    >
    > If anyone was mistaken (as I was) that on the I-864 where it says "Immigrant
    > spouse's income" means that the Uk spouse can include his/her income on the
    > affadvit, it is WRONG.
    >
    > A word of advice, there was one guy there about 25 years old, who sort of breezed
    > into the place as if he owned it (we've all met them) He was so big-headed and
    > cocky, the sort of "geezer" most people take an instant dislike to. I'm not sure
    > why, but he was refused, I don't know why, it is unlikely that it was just because
    > of his attitude, however I'm also sure that his "attitude" didn't indear him to the
    > Officer. I leave that for you to decide, suffice it say that everyone else there
    > who just sat down quietly, waiting, seemed to be approved.
    >
    > Good luck to all who follow. Roger (+ Ida) I get closer to snogging my wife
    >
    > I don't believe in "I've got mine now you get yours" If I can help anyone, based on
    > my experience, please ask, and I'll do my best
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Rick Jul 19th 2002 9:20 pm

Rob S <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am a UK citizen married to an American and in the process of obtaining a spouses
    > visa through the US Embassy in London. we just received 'package 3' and have couple
    > of questions:
    > 1. In respect of I-864, my wife will be a student in the states from september and
    > therefore have no income - however by that time we will have sold our london
    > home and the proceeds will significantly exceed the amount stipulated (125% of
    > poverty level). How best do we communicate this to the Embassy and thus avoid
    > problems?
    > 2. My wifes federal tax returns are already back in the states, they can be
    > accessed if necessary but would add little to the issue of 'support' as they
    > relate to work in the UK which she will not have by the time of the interview.
    > Are they still required?
    >
    > Finally, in the pack there is a check list that says I must return 'form 'OF-230'
    > but the form supplied is form 'DS-230' - do I need to obtain the correct form or
    > will it be alright to return the one supplied?
    >
    > thanks Rob

Hi there

Don't know about the financial questions, but someone will. As for DS230, it stands
for 'Dept of State' and replaces the old 'Optional Form' OF230. Basically, they're
the same form but the DS230 is the current form and is the one that should be
completed and returned.

Rick
    >
    >
    >
    > --