Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London to Houston TX, shipper costs??

London to Houston TX, shipper costs??

Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Arie2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London to Houston TX, shipper costs??

Hi,

Anyone out there moved from London to Houston, Texas? I'm trying to find out the cost of shipping about 10 boxes...

I've also been looking into registering with a Doctors/ Surgery or whatever is equivalent to Houston. Due to have baby number 3 2ndw Week in May. Has anyone had any experience in this department and can provide some guidance? Would really appreciate any and all help.

Our home is on the cusp between Cypress, Katy, Jersey village. I'm familiar with memorial area as well as Cypress if that helps....

Last edited by Arie2016; Jan 12th 2016 at 8:11 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:56 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to Houston TX, shipper costs??

You don't register with a doctors. You go to them when you need them. You'll need an OBGYN. A good starting point is to see who is covered on your insurance and then do some googling for the reviews of those doctors. You may be limited in your choices as you are so far on. Many like to see you from beginning to end.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Arie2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant, that helps a lot actually. We're covered by CIGNA so I've been able to pinpoint potential OBGYN's. will give them a call tomorrow. Thanking you!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:48 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

For mine it was an upfront payment that covered the whole pregnancy and birth. You'll need to ask which hospital the doctor is linked too as well. For instance my doctor was based in Katy, but their hospital was in sugarland.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

On the shipping, I can't really help, as my company paid relocation.

On the Doctors, I may be able to help, but it depends where you're actually located. Once you've been here longer, you'll realise that "On the cusp between Cypress, Katy, Jersey village" doesn't actually make much sense, since "The City of Jersey Village" (yes, really) is only a fairly small area. You're often better off defining locations by the road intersections or, to people who live nearby, by the local subdivision name. Are you somewhere near Copperfield?

Our family doctor's is HSE on Barker Cypress not far south of 290, but I suspect that's probably a distance from you. Our kids go to Texas Children's Pediatrics. The branch we use has just moved to Towne Lake, at Barker Cypress and Tuckerton, but they have them all over Houston.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 10:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze View Post
You don't register with a doctors. You go to them when you need them....
Depends on the insurance though.

If it's a HMO, you'll need to see a PCP before doing anything, but you'll need to be registered with one first.

Better to find one before you're ill just so you can check them out and not just settle for any old doctor because they're the only ones taking on new patients at the time you need one.

Either way, insurance company would have a list of doctors in the area you're interested in and ring away.