Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London Embassy backlog...

London Embassy backlog...

Old Feb 22nd 2002, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Barry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London Embassy backlog...

Called the US Embassy in London this afternoon to try to discover whether an interview has been scheduled (we received approval on 6th Feb). I was told that I wasn't even entered on the computer yet and that there's a backlog of approxiamately three weeks.

I tried to explain that I'd already sent in all the required forms, including the document checklist, and asked whether they still set up provisional files. They didn't seem to like this question. All I could get out of them was 'I don't know anything until you're on the computer', over and over...

Maybe some of you guys will have better luck...
Old Feb 22nd 2002, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: London Embassy backlog...

Thanks for that info, Barry! I am in a very similar situation...I recieved my approval from TSC on Feb 7, and I've also sent in all the forms and checklist to the embassy in London. I will make sure I post when I hear something. Good luck! We may well end up with the same interview day.
-Harry
Old Feb 22nd 2002, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Harry!

I couldn’t believe my ears this afternoon. So many people seem to have had good experiences calling the unlisted number (0207 355 3335) rather than the £(exorbitant) charges on the operator assisted number, so I thought I’d give it a try. Took me over an hour and a half to get into the queue though, and then I was made to feel a bit like I’d disturbed someone’s afternoon nap...

It’s a bit depressing to get a great approval time (21 days through VSC) only to find out that there’s an extra three week wait for the Embassy. The trouble is, how can we be certain it’s just three weeks? Still, there’s not a lot we can do. Please do post if you have better luck than me.

Maybe I’ll see you outside the Doc’s waiting for the medical...

B
Old Feb 22nd 2002, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Fran is an unknown quantity at this point

I also called London Embassy this afternoon, we were approved Nov 14 through Texas (hi Harry!!) I mailed my forms to them on Monday recorded delivery, which they received at 9.27am on Tuesday however, today I received the packet 3 forms again with a case number on the covering letter which was dated Feb 19 - this obviously means that they have all the paperwork through from Texas, pretty good going I thought they must of received the info from Texas in a week. Anyway the lady I spoke to said that I should get an interview date in the next 2-3 weeks. After receiving packet 3 forms quickly I wouldn't be surprised to receive the interview date in 2 weeks or less.

What travel dates and wedding dates did you guys put on the checklist form? I think the London Embassy do try to accomodate people by the dates that they put on the form.

Good luck guys and see you at the Embassy!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2002, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fran!

I'm sorry if I appear a bit dim, but do you mean that getting the forms from Texas took three months (assuming the Embassy sent you Packet 3 straight away) and that's good going?

Do I take it that you've already returned the packet 3 forms? Or are you expected to fill in the ones they've just sent you? Have you returned your checklist?

As for travel and wedding dates, I put March 2002 for both. I sent the Packet 3 forms to them on Jan 28th (with 1st NOA) with a request to open a provisional file and the checklist about a week ago with a photocopy of the Approval Notice. I realise that calling them today was a bit optimistic, but I was encouraged by other people's experiences, such as yours. I had hoped to find something out, or at least discover whether they'd received my forms. No such luck. As it is, I don't know what's happening except they expect delays, and I just have to sit tight and sweat it out...

Good luck!! Hope you get your interview soon!

B
Old Feb 22nd 2002, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Barry

Sorry, no you're not dim it's me - it's been a mad couple of weeks since approval - my post above should've read that we were approved Feb 11, our 1st NOA was Nov 14. Hope I didn't freak you out too much there
Old Feb 23rd 2002, 2:26 am
Synchro1212

Just FYI for all of you, our first NOA was Nov 7, approval Feb &...We sent our K-1
packet back as soon as we got our first NOA, then when I got an approval on Feb 7, I
sent a letter stating that I was going to be visiting my fiance in England in March
and if there was any possible way to interview while I was there. We will see what
they do. Oh, by the way. I tried to call embassy from Texas, but there are some other
numbers I must dial before I dial the phone number. Do you know what they are?. I
usuall dial 01144118 and then my fiances number. I tried that, but it did not work.
ANy help would be appreciated....

Holly

Old Feb 23rd 2002, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Holly try this number 011 44 207 355 3335

Good luck!!
Old Feb 23rd 2002, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Holly,
One extra thing...that number Fran gave you can only be used between 2-4 pm UK time (8-10pm in Texas). It's kind of hard to get through, but not too bad. It took me about 10 minutes of re-dialling. Good luck! Btw...I also got my packet #3 from the embassy, so they must have recieved our approval from TSC. Yay!

-Harry
Old Feb 23rd 2002, 11:45 am
Stimpy

Synchro1212 wrote...

<snip>

> Oh, by the way. I tried to call embassy from Texas, but there are some other
    > numbers I must dial before I dial
the
    > phone number. Do you know what they are?. I usuall dial 01144118 and
then my
    > fiances number. I tried that, but it did not work. ANy help would be
    > appreciated....

the important bits are:

011 - tells the US system you want to make an international call 44 - tells the US
system you want to call the UK then all you need to do is take the phone number as
printed and remove the first 0

the number you have there is the first two parts and the beginning of your fiancé's
area code, which unless she lives anywhere near the london embassy, is not the
correct one.

so to dial the unlisted number you need to enter - 011 44 207 355 3335

--
Stimpy - http://www.wgt.org.uk 'I can resist anything but temptation.'

Old Feb 23rd 2002, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Hello again Harry!

Glad to hear you've received Packet 3. Did you have any better luck than I did calling the Embassy? Since you've already sent in the Packet 3 forms, are you expected to fill them out again, or will you simply send them a letter explaining that you've already sent them?

Thanks for any info you can give....

Best wishes,

B
Old Feb 23rd 2002, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Barry!
That's exactly what I would like to know. I'm going to call them again on Monday and find out. I'm definately going to have to send something in, because there are a couple of things I hadn't done when I sent them in the first time, namely you're meant to pay your £32 before sending them in, and have the bank put a stamp showing payment on the DS-156, and also you're meant to staple a passport photo to one of the forms (can't remember which). I'm also going to ask them if I can send it special delivery - i.e. that there will be someone there to sign for it. I'll let you know. It's just a massive relief knowing the paperwork has made it from Texas ok.

Cheers,

-Harry
Old Feb 23rd 2002, 3:05 pm
Shar

Hi all,

We just got approved too (feb 11) and I mailed my forms to London on the 19th. I
didn't sent the check list back yet though. I hope that all goes quickly. We've
waited long enough, esp those going through Texas. I envy you people who were able to
go through VSC lol. I put that I wanted to travel on April 24. We're planning to have
our wedding July 19. Hopefully everything will be done in time for that.

Good luck to you all, maybe see some of you at the interview.

Thurms

Old Feb 24th 2002, 2:50 am
Synchro1212

Harry, thanks so much for all the help....Dave got his Packet 3 from them in November
after I got the first NOA. They told him they would open a provisional file for him.
Then 2 weeks ago, he sent them the receipt number and his change of address. Then I
sent them a letter on friday requesting them to do Daves interview while I am in
England if at all possible. We will see. They probably wont do, but it is worth a
try. I will over there inWoodley Reading March 8-17th. So, maybe they can arrange it.
Thanks for the info..

Holly

Old Feb 25th 2002, 3:01 pm
Mit

Harry <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey Barry! That's exactly what I would like to know. I'm going to call them again
    > on Monday and find out. I'm definately going to have to send something in, because
    > there are a couple of things I hadn't done when I sent them in the first time,
    > namely you're meant to pay your £32 before sending them in, and have the bank put a
    > stamp showing payment on the DS-156, and also you're meant to staple a passport
    > photo to one of the forms (can't remember which). I'm also going to ask them if I
    > can send it special delivery - i.e. that there will be someone there to sign for
    > it. I'll let you know. It's just a massive relief knowing the paperwork has made it
    > from Texas ok.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Harry

Hi Harry! I'm sorry if I sound confused. I posted my checklist and forms last week
(12th Feb). But I can't remember anything about £32 being mentioned. Where or what
is that for?

Cheers Cubendri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.