British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lololita's questions on scholorships in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lololitas-questions-scholorships-usa-891166/)

Lololita Feb 5th 2017 7:11 pm

Lololita's questions on scholorships in the USA

My niece is studying Chemistry at university. She will need a student visa to come to the USA. She wants to apply for a scholarship to get a graduate degree in USA.

What is the process for applying for a scholarship? What university are easy at giving scholarship? How can I get a list of universities that offer scholarship?

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Pulaski Feb 5th 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Getting Green Card for a relative

Originally Posted by Lololita (Post 12171729)
My niece is studying Chemistry at university. She will need a student visa to come to the USA. She wants to apply for a scholarship to get a graduate degree in USA.

What is the process for applying for a scholarship? What university are easy at giving scholarship? How can I get a list of universities that offer scholarship?

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

On what basis is she expecting to get a scholarship? Excellence in a sport is a common reason; academic scholarships are often a thousand or a couple of thousand dollars.

ian-mstm Feb 5th 2017 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Lololita (Post 12171729)

With respect, none of these questions are related to immigration. Hopefully a moderator will move this to a more appropriate forum.

Ian

Lololita Feb 5th 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12171732)
On what basis is she expecting to get a scholarship? Excellence in a sport is a common reason; academic scholarships are often a thousand or a couple of thousand dollars.

She would like the scholarship to cover all her fees. Is this possible? Her basis will be good grades in the degree she is doing at the moment.

Pulaski Feb 5th 2017 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lololita (Post 12171739)
She would like the scholarship to cover all her fees. ....

:rofl: Wouldn't everbody.

..... Is this possible? .....
In my opinion, it's extremely unlikely unless she has Olympic potential in a sport that the university "has a program in".

.... Her basis will be good grades in the degree she is doing at the moment.
If she's lucky that might qualify her for a couple of thousand dollars. Some charitable foundations might also chip in if she meets their criteria, say "poverty", "ethnic minority", "new immigrant", or a specific arts, science, or technology goal. I am not sure if the military would be able to help as she isn't a US Citizen.

AdobePinon Feb 5th 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lololita (Post 12171739)
She would like the scholarship to cover all her fees. Is this possible? Her basis will be good grades in the degree she is doing at the moment.

Yes, if she's going to study chemistry. Maybe for other sciences. It'll probably also cover living expenses up to a point. She won't live like a princess, but she should be able to come out free of debt.

The exact process will depend on the university.

I know this because it is what I did.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 5th 2017 8:29 pm

Depends on her nationality, she would apply more logically for a source in her own country, that is the country that will benefit from her education.

petitefrancaise Feb 5th 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Lololita's questions on scholorships in the USA

She should find out if her university has an exchange with an American one. Quite a lot do based on academic performance and it would mean incurring hardly any extra costs. She would pay for her tuition at her UK university, there may well be a bursary available for travel costs, worst case she has to pay accomodation fees but there may be a bursary available for that too.

Most students who come to study in the USA have to pay international student rates, there are few who manage to get a scholarship since the scholarships are aimed at low income/high achievers US residents and citizens.
There is an organisation that offers information
https://www.facebook.com/EducationUSA/?fref=ts

AdobePinon Feb 5th 2017 10:05 pm

To quote the UCLA Chemistry Dept, for example (which is not where I went):

"The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry fully supports all graduate students with appointments as teaching assistants or graduate student researchers. The Department funds tuition, student fees, health insurance, and an annual stipend for living expenses for students enrolled in the program. As a part of the doctoral program, graduate students are required to serve as a Teaching Assistant for a minimum of three academic quarters."

Awards and Fellowships | UCLA Chemistry and Biochemistry

That is typical language for a US chemistry graduate degree program. You'll need to look at the individual websites and talk to the schools to determine the details, differences, and dollars involved.

Twinkle0927 Feb 6th 2017 1:29 am

Does it have to be the USA? I was fortunate enough to be awarded a scholarship for a university in another EU country. It covered all my tuition and some living costs. The university in question also had an exchange programme with the university of Iceland and I was selected for that too. I wouldn't have changed the experience for the world. My scholarship was awarded on the basis of being a very high achiever in my field of study. There are various EU programmes like that.

petitefrancaise Feb 6th 2017 2:10 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12171791)
She should find out if her university has an exchange with an American one. Quite a lot do based on academic performance and it would mean incurring hardly any extra costs. She would pay for her tuition at her UK university, there may well be a bursary available for travel costs, worst case she has to pay accomodation fees but there may be a bursary available for that too.

Most students who come to study in the USA have to pay international student rates, there are few who manage to get a scholarship since the scholarships are aimed at low income/high achievers US residents and citizens.
There is an organisation that offers information
https://www.facebook.com/EducationUSA/?fref=ts

sorry, missed the 'graduate' bit. :o

md95065 Feb 6th 2017 4:28 am

Sounds like the OP's daughter hasn't graduated yet, so an undergraduate exchange might still be possible. That could be helpful in gaining a better understanding of what the U.S. system is like and, perhaps, finding scholarship opportunities for post graduate courses.

Lololita Feb 6th 2017 5:38 am

Thank you everyone for your replies.

jkeller Feb 6th 2017 9:48 pm

Since she's a chem major how about getting a summer internship with an oil company? Exxon/Mobil, Shell, or an oil services company like Baker Hughes, Schlumberger? All of those companies have a huge presence in Houston, and might be willing to offer her financial assistance for graduate studies like at U. of Houston or Rice U. With a chem degree opportunities abound, pharmaceutical, food manufacturing... Eli Lilly in drugs and Heinz for food come to mind right off. Good luck.