Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Logistics of moving from the UK to the USA

Logistics of moving from the UK to the USA

Old Aug 24th 2017, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Logistics of moving from the UK to the USA

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
H-1B Sponsors HAVE to pay the prevailing rate for the job/area. It's not discretionary, it is a requirement. So if the prevailing rate for the job in that area is $67k as suggested earlier, that is what they are obligated to pay you if it can be demonstrated.
I know this is the case, because it applied to me and got me a quite substantial salary hike.
Prevailing wage is not the same as what we come up with on glassdoor. I don't know how the Department of Labor gets their number, but the company would have gotten a prevailing wage before they filed the petition.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 8:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ph2020
Hi BE!
Hi right back at you.

After 6 pages of responses you wished your previous thread to be deleted as you did not wish it found via google search.

That is not usual BE policy, as we do not delete threads and posts unless they contravene our site rules and especially when posters have given their free time and effort to try to help someone.

I just want to be clear for you . This thread will not be deleted.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
H-1B Sponsors HAVE to pay the prevailing rate for the job/area. It's not discretionary, it is a requirement. So if the prevailing rate for the job in that area is $67k as suggested earlier, that is what they are obligated to pay you if it can be demonstrated.
I know this is the case, because it applied to me and got me a quite substantial salary hike.
There are many companies that have an office in say Kentucky and say that you work there 'officially', when in reality you are based in Seattle. Something like this could be going on I guess.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi right back at you.

After 6 pages of responses you wished your previous thread to be deleted as you did not wish it found via google search.

That is not usual BE policy, as we do not delete threads and posts unless they contravene our site rules and especially when posters have given their free time and effort to try to help someone.

I just want to be clear for you . This thread will not be deleted.
Hi there... thank you for your friendly welcome :-). A few questions...

1) Couldn't you have private messaged me that? It seems a bit passive aggressive to post that here and even link to my old thread...
2) There's a good reason why I wanted that thread deleted. Simply put, I don't want anybody in my company to be able to find this sort of info online.
3) All of these responses are tailored to my thread and personal questions, I think it's unfair for my request to delete one to be challenged... but okay, thanks!
Old Aug 25th 2017, 10:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is I plan to travel every other weekend. I'd like to drive to Portland, Vancouver and other nearby cities. Perhaps to commute to work I can do without a car but for everything else I'll need one. ....
If you only need a car at weekends, then you should just rent a car as and when you need one - any weekend you stay at home is then "free". It also opens up the possibility of flying to other destinations and renting a car, which is also "free" if you haven't left a car at home or in the airport car park.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 11:03 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

We are an hour or so from Seattle and I work in Seattle. Agree that you won't need a car full time if you're living anywhere on the Sound Transit network. Seattle is better for bikes and walking. And the public transport is actually very good. When we go into Seattle for anything other than work we use the park and ride. Only someone with no sense at all would drive around Seattle. We have free parking at my work place so we use that as well sometimes.
All in all, it's a good place to live. Find space in your two suitcases for your wellies.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... I'll have to do without one for the first few weeks at least, then I'll see how it goes. If I find I could really do with one (I think there's free parking at work) and that my awkward work hours prevent me from taking the bus or any other form of public transport at a particular time, then I'll have to buy one. In terms of weekend travel, perhaps renting a car is the best option. I can take an Uber/Lyft to a car rental garage. Perhaps Portland and Vancouver, BC are the only main cities nearby. Everywhere else I can fly to. Thanks guys!
Old Aug 25th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

There's Victoria, BC too, which is accessible with a short ferry ride. If you're ever feeling a little homesick, Victoria has a nice British charm to it and has a number of great pubs.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

1) Is $55k enough to live and play in Seattle for a single 24 y/o?
2) What unforeseen costs should I plan for? My company will cover my flight and 2 weeks of accommodation while I search for a house.
3) How easy is it to switch Student Finance loan repayments from UK to USA?
4) Do I have to hire an accountant for tax purposes? Surely it can't be that much of a kerfuffle?
5) Is car insurance as expensive there as it is here? Here I'm paying £120 a month now.. but over there I'll be a foreigner with no credit history.
6) Is there such thing as 'car tax', 'MOT', etc? Basically what's the running cost of a standard sedan compared to the UK?

Thanks a lot in advance!
1) I moved to Boston at 25 with a salary of $36k, I found a place with 2 other room mates and lived OK. As a single guy, it was awesome!
3) Student loan company asked me to fill in a one page document to establish payment from abroad, it was easy.
4) No, but wish I did early on, due to my poor effort of understanding USA/UK related taxes! My current guy charges approx. $300, a drop of the total return.
5) and 6) On my starting salary I lived a great 'studenty'/single life, but could not dream of getting a car. 8 years later, my wife and I are much better off, but I still baulk at car running costs (but pay it anyway, like everyone else).

Good luck!
Old Aug 25th 2017, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
1) I moved to Boston at 25 with a salary of $36k, I found a place with 2 other room mates and lived OK. As a single guy, it was awesome!
3) Student loan company asked me to fill in a one page document to establish payment from abroad, it was easy.
4) No, but wish I did early on, due to my poor effort of understanding USA/UK related taxes! My current guy charges approx. $300, a drop of the total return.
5) and 6) On my starting salary I lived a great 'studenty'/single life, but could not dream of getting a car. 8 years later, my wife and I are much better off, but I still baulk at car running costs (but pay it anyway, like everyone else).

Good luck!
You say "return" - does a standard employee need to manually file taxes themselves as if they were self-employed in UK terms? I thought it would be as easy as them taking it from my paycheck every month? (oh and is pay there generally semi-monthly?)
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

You say "return" - does a standard employee need to manually file taxes themselves as if they were self-employed in UK terms? I thought it would be as easy as them taking it from my paycheck every month? (oh and is pay there generally semi-monthly?)
With your salary you will file a return, state (I assume for you) and federal. If you have assets in the UK, it can get tricky. I just prefer someone to do it for me.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
With your salary you will file a return, state (I assume for you) and federal. If you have assets in the UK, it can get tricky. I just prefer someone to do it for me.
Washington state doesn't have income tax so it's just federal tax I'll have to file then. So is this how it works in that case:

1) I get paid twice a week, without any deductions...
2) At the end of the tax year, I file my return which will deduct federal tax from my salary, and then I send them a check to pay the lump sum which'll be something close to $10k?

And that's it? I thought there were other things I had to pay, like 'medicaid' or something - basically our equivalent of national insurance. Sorry I'm completely clueless..

Last edited by ph2020; Aug 25th 2017 at 4:18 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Washington state doesn't have income tax so it's just federal tax I'll have to file then. So is this how it works in that case:

1) I get paid twice a week, without any deductions...
2) At the end of the tax year, I file my return which will deduct federal tax from my salary

And that's it? I thought there were other things I had to pay, like 'medicair' or something - basically our equivalent of national insurance. Sorry I'm completely clueless..
Better people on here will take over and help, I have opinions but someone more knowledgeable will step in.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Er, you have a lot to learn.

Every adult in America, plus most US citizens living overseas are legally required to complete a tax return every year. Due to the numerous complexities, of the US taxation system, such as deductible mortgage interest, healthcare insurance and expenses, 401k (pension) investments, childcare, etc. it is almost impossible to not either get a tax refund or owe taxes at the year end. Bizarrely we have managed to both owe, and still get a refund a couple of years.

On paper the system is almost identical to the UK with NI, PAYE, and private pensions, but the US adds a lot of moving parts that make things much more complicated.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 25th 2017 at 4:33 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

You have to submit an annual return, due by April 15 (it varies slightly due to holidays). The tax year is the calendar year. There are tax deductions from pay, but you set the amount. There is nothing like the (virtually automatic) UK PAYE system.

In addition to tax deductions you have mandatory FICA deductions (for Social Security) and Medicare deductions (for senior health care).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.