Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Logistics of moving from the UK to the USA

Logistics of moving from the UK to the USA

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Logistics of moving from the UK to the USA

Salary seems a little low for Seattle but you're young and single and wiling to flat-share so you shouldn't have too many problems. You might want to wait with buying a car for a bit and suss out the scene. Used cars and insurance are way more expensive than in the UK (e.g. decent 10 year old car with no major problems and 100k - yes 100k - on the clock will set you back about 8k.). For insurance purposes you'll be classed as a new driver and so your premiums will be sky high. Also need to factor in the cost of parking which will be around 150-200/month. I suggest you rent a car for your weekend trips to begin with!

Last edited by sherbert; Aug 23rd 2017 at 9:13 pm. Reason: adding parking info
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
Started at 48K in what field though? I mean I started at 48K at a Big 4 accounting firm in 2004 in Boston. It means nothing. The current starting salaries are somewhere around 45K - 60K depending on location.
Software engineer H1b
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ph2020
I'm actually eligible for both but my attorney decided we should give the H1 a go...
Well then, I think the attorney is an idiot.

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well then, I think the attorney is an idiot.

Ian
Agreed.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BE!

Long story short, I'm 24 and will soon be relocating (alone) from London to Seattle (still waiting for my H1 to be approved). Same job, different office and it was my request to move. 3 years of work exp come October. Job = S/ware Support Engineer. Current salary is £26.8k, US one will be $55k. Will be taking with me about £10k's worth of $ (savings) to buy a car over there and cover the house rent deposit. I'll be sharing with others thanks to Seattle prices, but I'd rather not be alone so this is a good thing. Here are my questions:

1) Is $55k enough to live and play in Seattle for a single 24 y/o?
2) What unforeseen costs should I plan for? My company will cover my flight and 2 weeks of accommodation while I search for a house.
3) How easy is it to switch Student Finance loan repayments from UK to USA?
4) Do I have to hire an accountant for tax purposes? Surely it can't be that much of a kerfuffle?
5) Is car insurance as expensive there as it is here? Here I'm paying £120 a month now.. but over there I'll be a foreigner with no credit history.
6) Is there such thing as 'car tax', 'MOT', etc? Basically what's the running cost of a standard sedan compared to the UK?

I'll add more questions as I think of them

Thanks a lot in advance!

OK what you need to do, it come over to the USA accept the offer. Once you are over here you need to a H1B transfer to a company that pays the market rate for Seattle.

It will be easier to find a job as a transferee than from the UK. Trust me.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
OK what you need to do, it come over to the USA accept the offer. Once you are over here you need to a H1B transfer to a company that pays the market rate for Seattle.

It will be easier to find a job as a transferee than from the UK. Trust me.
That's one advantage of the H1, and is a possibility. :-)
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

That's one advantage of the H1, and is a possibility. :-)
You are making a good decision, Seattle is probably the best location for a Software Developer in the world.

No state income tax and salaries higher than London or NYC!
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
You are making a good decision, Seattle is probably the best location for a Software Developer in the world.

No state income tax and salaries higher than London or NYC!
Agreed! They make up for the lack of income tax through sales tax though :-P
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:07 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably remembering this incorrectly, but I thought to do an H1b transfer, you had to be 6 months+ along in the I-485 adjustment of status process.
There was a bill passed that enabled people to switch employers if you'd reached that marker.

Maybe it's simpler. I don't know.

God, I sound like Donald Trump.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Agreed! They make up for the lack of income tax through sales tax though :-P
Not really LOL! you get an absolutely amazing deal in Seattle! Well maybe somebody in Alaska or Texas would disagree but here is a comparison against NYC!

Seattle
9.6% sales tax (only on what you buy, not on pension or savings)
0% income tax

NYC
8.875% sales tax
6.65% NY state income tax (on your entire gross income)
3.65% NYC local income tax (on your entire gross income)
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm probably remembering this incorrectly, but I thought to do an H1b transfer, you had to be 6 months+ along in the I-485 adjustment of status process.
There was a bill passed that enabled people to switch employers if you'd reached that marker.

Maybe it's simpler. I don't know.

God, I sound like Donald Trump.
Anyone on an H1B visa can transfer employers provided the new employer is prepared to sponsor them for a new H1B and the new job is similar to the current job.

The scenario you speak of (during I-485 process) does not require a new H1B visa.

I did this in 2006 when my original sponsor lost a contract and wanted me to relocate. I found another company locally prepared to sponsor me.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:39 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

$55k is ok for someone single.
Buses and Lyft work for travel around town
Cars need an emissions test every second year.
There is a yearly car tax, known as tabs, as it is a sticker you attach to your car plate.
WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: How to renew your tabs

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 24th 2017 at 5:42 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone on H1 can transfer to a new employer, as long as the new employer is willing to file a new petition (not subject to the cap again, unless your 6 years is up and you haven't left the country for at least a year) for them. One can even start working at the new job once the receipt notice for the new H1 is received. The new job is typically similar but doesn't have to be. It's a brand new petition and stands on its own.

The bill that was referenced has to do with someone whose I-485 filing is already in line and wants to switch jobs. The person can only do so if their I-485 has been pending for at least 6 months and the new jobs is the same or similar to the current job. This is so the I-140/485 process doesn't have to start from the beginning. The main reason for the bill has to do with Indians who have had their I-485 pending for many years now.

Last edited by fbf2006; Aug 24th 2017 at 5:48 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is I plan to travel every other weekend. I'd like to drive to Portland, Vancouver and other nearby cities.
Portland and Vancouver (get used to adding BC on, to avoid confusion) are doable on the train, but better to have a car. There are no other nearby cities worth going to without good reason (Victoria maybe).

If you want to travel West or East to coast or mountains (and you should) you really need a car.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 24th 2017 at 5:48 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

H-1B Sponsors HAVE to pay the prevailing rate for the job/area. It's not discretionary, it is a requirement. So if the prevailing rate for the job in that area is $67k as suggested earlier, that is what they are obligated to pay you if it can be demonstrated.
I know this is the case, because it applied to me and got me a quite substantial salary hike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.