Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Log Homes (spin off from forclosed thread)

Log Homes (spin off from forclosed thread)

Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Log Homes (spin off from forclosed thread)

Whats the general opinion on Log homes? There are some pretty fab designs available now - not all like 4 walled sheds with a davy crockett hat on the porch!

i.e. www.linwoodhomes.com
We saw these guys at the NEC in Birmingham early this year and took a look at their designs and prices - pretty damn good we thought. They import to UK and naturally, the US.

I should imagine there would be quite a bit of permission needed to drop one of these in a neighbourhood where there may be no other log houses too. Especially if theres not a mountain or lake in sight!

Any experiences/opinions???????

Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hmmmmmmm no TOO popular then - actually these are cedar homes - is that the same sort of thing?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Log Homes (spin off from forclosed thread)

Originally posted by whatever
....... Any experiences/opinions???????
We looked into the pros and cons, briefly, during our "let's build our own home" period, and they cost about 30% more to build than a conventional stick-built house of the same size.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 1st 2003 at 1:28 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Log Homes (spin off from forclosed thread)

Originally posted by Pulaski
We looked into the pros and cons, briefly, during our "let's build our own home" period, and they cost about 30% more to build than a conventional stick-bulit house of the same size.

Really? Oh well ditch that idea then!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:29 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, my girlfriend and I love them and have considered it, but I think we'd only get one if it was in an appropriate area, like Vermont, where there are mountains and forests etc. I think the modern ones are really beautiful and so well built. Idyllic! We even went as far as buying a Log Home magazine, but that's about the extent of our participation.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

We even went as far as buying a Log Home magazine, but that's about the extent of our participation. [/QUOTE]

LOL!!!