Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Local tragedy

Local tragedy

Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:51 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by Ray
Very selective
Likewise with the stats in your link - that was my point.

Originally Posted by Ray
With only one of those having guns available to the public its hardy surprising...
Is that an admission that if you make guns available to the public more people will get killed? Shocker.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:52 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

For an international comparison of homicides (murders), please see this report , page 32 of 58. It's a report published by the Home Office in January 2005.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Please elaborate. Here is where exactly? The US as a whole?

I'm sure we could spend all evening comparing the most dangerous neighborhoods in cities in the US versus the same in UK cities...

NC Penguin
Well if you want me to be specific, car park under my flat in Bermondsey.

Wanted my car keys....

Threw them away and did a runner, stupid, should have handed them over.

Yet to see a gun here, Boulder County, Colorado.

Well you can get a gun in Wal Mart, but banned from there. Missus has a big downer.

Bad area of Denver no doubt another issue.

I used to live near Hungerford, two of the people that died in the tradegy were buried in the Churchyard 100 yds away.

Now the logic of allowing people to have AK47's etc escapes me but so does the concentration on legal firearms, when nobody gives a damm on the illegal ones.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:01 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well if you want me to be specific, car park under my flat in Bermondsey.

Wanted my car keys....

Threw them away and did a runner, stupid, should have handed them over.

Yet to see a gun here, Boulder County, Colorado.
So you lived in Bermondsey. I've lived in many parts of London in my lifetime and I've lived in the less some less genteel parts of the city (e.g., within half a mile of Holloway Prison) it would be ridiculous to label the whole of London (pop. 7.172 million according to the 2001 census) as dangerous and compare it to Boulder County, CO which no doubt has a far, far smaller population...

<<snip>>

NC Penguin
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:02 am
Account Closed

For an international comparison of homicides (murders), please see this report , page 32 of 58. It's a report published by the Home Office in January 2005.

NC Penguin
Perhaps I should add that I do not have a gun, I have never fired a pistol, 22's at School, that may suggest how long ago it was, and 303's, bruised shoulder stuff and the odd clay pigeon shoot shotgun.

I do not feel the need, also small children present that would worry me.

In London I could feel the need. But I could not satisfy the need, legally.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:03 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Well you can get a gun in Wal Mart, but banned from there. Missus has a big downer.
Are you saying you got banned from Wal Mart? What happened?
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

NC Penguin
In 2003/04, 858 deaths were initially recorded as homicide, a decrease of 18 per cent on 2002/03. After accounting for Shipman, the fall is 2 per cent and is the first annual fall since 1996. The 2003/04 total is still 15 per cent or 113 offences higher than five years previously.

A bit different to previous figures given...
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elfman
Are you saying you got banned from Wal Mart? What happened?
Local joke, shop in Wally world and you will be socially ostracised, very un Boulder.

Troble is there is something I want to buy for Xmas at Sams Club....
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:08 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Local joke, shop in Wally world and you will be socially ostracised, very un Boulder.

Let me guess. They sell AK47s?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:09 am
A lion in your lap

Oh right - at first it sounded like you might have committed some kind of indiscretion in there and were asked not to come back.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:11 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Does your social circle post surveillance to watch for social outcasts who shop at Wally World then?

Personally, I hate the place, and would never shop there out of choice, but if I did I'm at a loss to know how my friends and neighbors would know!
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:14 am
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Ray
In 2003/04, 858 deaths were initially recorded as homicide, a decrease of 18 per cent on 2002/03.
A bit different to previous figures given...
The report says that of those 858, 9% were due to shootings - ie 77 in total for 2003/04, as compared to 62 annual firearms homicides in my earlier link.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:15 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
The report says that of those 858, 9% were due to shootings - ie 77 in total for 2003/04, as compared to 62 annual firearms homicides in my earlier link.
Murder is murder ... how its done ..does not really matter ...
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Does your social circle post surveillance to watch for social outcasts who shop at Wally World then?

Personally, I hate the place, and would never shop there out of choice, but if I did I'm at a loss to know how my friends and neighbors would know!
Well how would they explain why they were there?

American version of 'just not the done thing'.

Like cuting the nose of the cheese.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Very selective
With only one of those having guns available to the public
its hardy surprising...
Per capita should be the figures
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur
only one having guns to the public? I thought gets were pretty easy to get hold of in Canada as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.