British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Local tragedy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/local-tragedy-337070/)

Lion in Winter Nov 12th 2005 4:02 pm

Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Probably at the point I saw they had a gun I would get ready for a potential altercation

This is the second person I have know personally in the last 12 months who has been killed in a brutal fashion for no reason.

In the previous incident, the 17 year old kid who killed my friend then proceeded to attempt to carjack someone in a local mall. the father in the car had a CWP and fought back, staging a gun battle in the car park. before he was able to get his gun out his 9 year old was shot in the face (survived). if he was not carrying then I'd warrant the outcome would have been much worse

I have always been antigun, but after this occurring last night and a number of other local armed robberies to the person, I feel I have to perpetuate the problem so I can feel safe at night.

The case of the 17 year old killing the 9 year old is also tragic.

I've seen more guns pulled than I ever thought I would in my life (where I lived in a certain Chicago neighbourhood for about 5 years, gang violence was nightly). I could detect no moment at which I would have shot someone though. Most of the time you don't detect they have a gun. When I was in a paint store that got stuck up, the guy had the gun under his jacket until suddenly it was in the cashier's face. Ditto the two kids who pulled them when I was crossing the street to go the the corner shop. Are there ever cases when someone is saved by having a gun? Probably. Are there ever cases where the carnage is greater, the wrong people are shot, the level of violence escalated by people being armed? Undoubtedly. I see no way to predict which will happen, or even control it. So, then, what sort of society do we attempt to build?

I realise that some people feel differently.

rincewind Nov 12th 2005 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Without added security I reckon I can get in the average house within 2 to 3 minutes..

I can do it in 2 seconds with a brick :D

Ray Nov 12th 2005 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
I can do it in 2 seconds with a brick :D

I have more finesse... and professionalism...

rincewind Nov 12th 2005 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I have more finesse... and professionalism...

I don't have time to woo the ladies ;) :D

BritGuyTN Nov 12th 2005 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
And the point of highlighting that they were black is...? :confused:

:mad:

Please don't give me the rascist crap

Most shootings carried out here are by young black men - FACT

I'm sick of certain elements of the black community killing and robbing people with no remorse.

EVERYBODY starts off at the same level of consideration with me. All you can do is act to make my perception better, or worse

Unfortunately living in the south has made my perception of certain elements of the black community significantly worse. Having 2 friends in less than six months killed by young black men does nothing to improve my perception

Ray Nov 12th 2005 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
(the shotgun for home is a great idea, as opposed to a big handgun)

I would say a few shotguns are suitable ... the majority are not..
Mine shown in the pic post.. is ...

Lion in Winter Nov 12th 2005 4:15 pm

Please don't give me the rascist crap

Most shootings carried out here are by young black men - FACT

I'm sick of certain elements of the black community killing and robbing people with no remorse.

EVERYBODY starts off at the same level of consideration with me. All you can do is act to make my perception better, or worse

Unfortunately living in the south has made my perception of certain elements of the black community significantly worse. Having 2 friends in less than six months killed by young black men does nothing to improve my perception

BritGuy you know it's got nothing to do with skin pigmentation.

There are many causes of crime and violence, and most of them have been discussed on this forum a lot.

Lion in Winter Nov 12th 2005 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

I'd rather see your finesse and professionalism.

Leslie Nov 12th 2005 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
BritGuy you know it's got nothing to do with skin pigmentation.

There are many causes of crime and violence, and most of them have been discussed on this forum a lot.

Education

Poverty

Drugs

Lion in Winter Nov 12th 2005 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Education

Poverty

Drugs

Three of the biggies.

NJ_Dave Nov 12th 2005 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
And the point of highlighting that they were black is...?

He didn't highlight anything, he just stated a fact. You're getting your knickers in a knot over nothing :confused:

BritGuyTN Nov 12th 2005 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

Actually, Ray, one of my redneck friends is a big proponet of the shotgun in the house - any particularly good makes?

Also, there have been carjackings where the driver gets shot just for the hell of it.

The worst thing is, I live in a REASONABLE area. Most properties around me are owned by teachers/attorneys/architects. We can move to a 'better' area, but we would sacrifice postive aspects of our lifestyle like having short walks to bars/restaurants etc.

We will be considering moving, I know this.

The problem I have is that this occurred at a busy 4 way stop sign 50 feet from my front door

if they came and knocked on my doorthere is nothing I could have done to prevent them killing me. The shot guy in the car was extremely non confrontational person who just wanted to live in peace with his partner

BritGuyTN Nov 12th 2005 4:24 pm

If you go through with it, there may come a point where you will have to take someone else's life to defend yourself. Could you do it? What if it's a mistake? Could you live with it?

I would have no problems if it came to my family or my life. In fact, based on the content of this link

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=4095625

I would feel that I would be helping the community. Most of these people cannot be rehabilitated and if the courts cannot keep them locked up...

rincewind Nov 12th 2005 5:29 pm

I would have no problems if it came to my family or my life. In fact, based on the content of this link

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=4095625

I would feel that I would be helping the community. Most of these people cannot be rehabilitated and if the courts cannot keep them locked up...

Credit to you man. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.

On the weapons front, a guy at work (every office has a resident expert :D ) says that shotguns are better for home protection. Your aim doesn't have to be perfect as the spread is larger. With a handgun you would have to be more precise.

Plus, if you have a pump action, the noise of that alone will have them out the door without having to fire it.

BritGuyTN Nov 12th 2005 5:34 pm

Credit to you man. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.

On the weapons front, a guy at work (every office has a resident expert :D ) says that shotguns are better for home protection. Your aim doesn't have to be perfect as the spread is larger. With a handgun you would have to be more precise.

Plus, if you have a pump action, the noise of that alone will have them out the door without having to fire it.

this morning I have been researching shot guns, and the racking sound has both for and against it seems.

1. some intruders may be scared
2. it gives away your position and wastes a shell