British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Local radio (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/local-radio-319078/)

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 12:51 am

Local radio

Can anyone answer this one? I started listening to a new radio station about 3 weeks ago, namely WOGL Philadelphia, it's an oldies station (what else would it be?) Soul, R&B and of course the inevitable Beatles and 'Brit' Invasion stuff. I've noticed a pattern starting to emerge in their playlist, not only do they play the same songs, but at the same time of the day. What's it all about? Do they have a limited budget for playlists and are all radio stations the same?

Regards
Smashy and Nicey :)

NC Penguin Aug 10th 2005 12:58 am

Re: Local radio

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Can anyone answer this one? I started listening to a new radio station about 3 weeks ago, namely WOGL Philadelphia, it's an oldies station (what else would it be?) Soul, R&B and of course the inevitable Beatles and 'Brit' Invasion stuff. I've noticed a pattern starting to emerge in their playlist, not only do they play the same songs, but at the same time of the day. What's it all about? Do they have a limited budget for playlists and are all radio stations the same?

Regards

You're listening to commercial radio. That's why...

NC Penguin

paddingtongreen Aug 10th 2005 2:17 am

Regards

I haven't listened to OGL in a while, they used to have different DJs on, at one time they had Hy Lit on.

Whats the betting they load a days play onto a hard drive and just start it up and let it run day after day

dbj1000 Aug 10th 2005 2:37 am

We don't have the term "payola" in Britain, do we?

:rolleyes:

ImHere Aug 10th 2005 2:39 am

Regards

Yes. Well nearly. Theres one down here called "Sunny 104 FM" who's tag is that they dont reuse the same records every hour as do other radio stations. They play stuff from trhe 60's 70's 80's and 90's and thats what I tend to listen to. Apart from Kiss Country FM...yeeehaaaa.

The only real answer I can see for the car is to get satellite radio and listen to radio 1 when it starts up soon. Of course in the house its the good ol' internet radio for now.

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 2:40 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We don't have the term "payola" in Britain, do we?

:rolleyes:

No we don't, thanks, that was an eye opener :)

ImHere Aug 10th 2005 2:43 am

No we don't, thanks, that was an eye opener :)

Radio YANK comes as a bit of a shocker after the beeb dont it

Sarah Aug 10th 2005 2:47 am

Regards

I worked with a music TV station in England called The Box - don't know if you're familiar with it, but anyway the public would phone up and if they got through their song choice would be played on air.
I think MTV's TRL programme is similar, anyhoo, upshot of it is, the songs are all pay-to-play - the record companies pay music stations and radio stations to give whatever song/video they're pushing that week lots of airtime. So what looks like a member of the public requesting a song is all a set-up. They just get to a caller who wants to hear/see the next song in their playlist.
All the radio stations in US are owned by a few corporations and they dictate what gets played all over the country. Which is why you hear the same schedule over and over, they are on a loop basically. Its cheap (not much need for proper DJ's or detailed programming) and very profitable.
All the big record companies control the top ten too.
Not like it used to be eh?

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 2:47 am

Originally Posted by ImHere
Radio YANK comes as a bit of a shocker after the beeb dont it

You've got that right, back in Chicago they had a soul station which was great, it disappeared after a month or so and became another durdgy MOR rock station.
What's with the Beatles as well!!! I've never heard them played so much, since I've been here :eek:

ImHere Aug 10th 2005 2:49 am

You've got that right, back in Chicago they had a soul station which was great, it disappeared after a month or so and became another durdgy MOR rock station.
What's with the Beatles as well!!! I've never heard them played so much, since I've been here :eek:

And Elton John and Phil Collins. Must be some kind of conspiracy.

ImHere Aug 10th 2005 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Sarah
I worked with a music TV station in England called The Box - don't know if you're familiar with it, but anyway the public would phone up and if they got through their song choice would be played on air.
I think MTV's TRL programme is similar, anyhoo, upshot of it is, the songs are all pay-to-play - the record companies pay music stations and radio stations to give whatever song/video they're pushing that week lots of airtime. So what looks like a member of the public requesting a song is all a set-up. They just get to a caller who wants to hear/see the next song in their playlist.
All the radio stations in US are owned by a few corporations and they dictate what gets played all over the country. Which is why you hear the same schedule over and over, they are on a loop basically. Its cheap (not much need for proper DJ's or detailed programming) and very profitable.
All the big record companies control the top ten too.
Not like it used to be eh?

What are you some kind of conspiracy theorist pinko commie? Come on, as if it would all be controlled by some big corporates somewhere...surely not. Next you'll be suggestion politics and big corporations have some kind of link too :scared:

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 2:56 am

What are you some kind of conspiracy theorist pinko commie? Come on, as if it would all be controlled by some big corporates somewhere...surely not. Next you'll be suggestion politics and big corporations have some kind of link too :scared:

Dick Cheney and Haliburton.....naaaa

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 2:59 am

Chevron Oils ship Registry :)

Name:Condoleeza Rice
Built:1993
Tonnage:129,915

ImHere Aug 10th 2005 3:04 am

Chevron Oils ship Registry :)

Name:Condoleeza Rice
Built:1993
Tonnage:129,915

Now thats just too much of a coincedence. I guess we'll be having the SS GWB built shortly now the new energy bill has been signed.

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 3:08 am

Now thats just too much of a coincedence. I guess we'll be having the SS GWB built shortly now the new energy bill has been signed.

It'd be a slow ship, which would disappear for a year, at the first sign of it being sent abroad. :rolleyes:

dgsyd1 Aug 10th 2005 3:10 am

Not necessarily a bad thing. ;)
Although I wish the local classic rock station would play something other than the usual 5 or 6 songs by the fabs that seem to be in constant rotation (A Day In The Life, I Am The Walrus, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Get Back, Here Comes The Sun & Back In The USSR). Would the occasional play of "Revolution #9" really hurt ? :D

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 3:12 am

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Would the occasional play of "Revolution #9" really hurt ? :D

Seemingly yes..Maybe Michael Jackson hasn't paid the radio stations enough to play it. :rolleyes:

Sarah Aug 10th 2005 3:22 am

Seemingly yes..Maybe Michael Jackson hasn't paid the radio stations enough to play it. :rolleyes:

I thought it was only little boys that Michael Jackson really paid out to?

gruffbrown Aug 10th 2005 3:33 am

Allegedly.....:p

ImHere Aug 10th 2005 4:09 am

Oooh oooh any lawyers around

AdobePinon Aug 10th 2005 6:33 am

...sucks!

(Now let me go back and read what this thread is about :D )

AdobePinon Aug 10th 2005 6:41 am

It'd be a slow ship, which would disappear for a year, at the first sign of it being sent abroad. :rolleyes:

Slow ship to Mars, with any luck.

OK, having reviewed the thread content, I have decided to stick with my earlier comment. NM's radio stations have been systematically destroyed in the short time I've lived here. Blu 102 (http://www.blu1029.com) is one of the few I still listen to here - shame they subscribe to the 'stream fewer bits to more people' philosophy... :mad: