British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Lloyds account suspended!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/lloyds-account-suspended-802983/)

boruchn Jul 15th 2013 8:28 pm

Lloyds account suspended!!

Hi all,

So my Lloyds regular bank account was suspended while I was in the USA and now they want me to show up in a local branch. I have spent three days on the phone explaining to them that I cannot because I am in the USA at the moment.

They insist that I do and until then all my funds are frozen! Nightmare!

It looks like I will have to fly home just to show my face at the branch so I can access my funds. Anyone had anything like this? Do I really have to fly back to the UK just to ID myself?

Thank you!

Giantaxe Jul 15th 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Lloyds account suspended!!

Originally Posted by boruchn (Post 10801660)
Hi all,

So my Lloyds regular bank account was suspended while I was in the USA and now they want me to show up in a local branch. I have spent three days on the phone explaining to them that I cannot because I am in the USA at the moment.

They insist that I do and until then all my funds are frozen! Nightmare!

It looks like I will have to fly home just to show my face at the branch so I can access my funds. Anyone had anything like this? Do I really have to fly back to the UK just to ID myself?

Thank you!

What was the reason for the suspension? Many people have a UK bank account and live in the US.

boruchn Jul 15th 2013 8:33 pm

they wont say.

however, i did change my regular behavior: i was using hifx for the longest time without any issue. last week i wanted to wire directly from my UK account to a US account and the sum was fairly large (more than $10k).

my online account was suspended at that point and then they told me on the phone that the whole account is suspended until i show up in person at a branch.

sir_eccles Jul 15th 2013 8:44 pm

What is your status in the US.

Many foreign banks no longer want to deal with US tax residents due to the increased burden of FACTA etc. Check the t&c for Lloyds, they may only accept accounts for British residents and the need to show your face would be their way of checking you are a resident.

civilservant Jul 15th 2013 8:52 pm

I have zero intention of telling them I have moved to the US - I shall have my mothers address as mine. I'm sure that's violating some bank t&c, but honestly I'm not that bothered.

Pulaski Jul 15th 2013 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10801698)
I have zero intention of telling them I have moved to the US - I shall have my mothers address as mine. I'm sure that's violating some bank t&c, but honestly I'm not that bothered.

Likewise! .... And another good reason to use xe.com or a similar web-based intermediary remitter as opposed to wiring funds directly to or from your account in the US. :)

boruchn Jul 15th 2013 9:05 pm

i am also wondering how they would determine where you are 'residing'. and if i was residing in the us and flew home for a day to show my face at a local branch, how would that show them that i am back in the uk?

boruchn Jul 15th 2013 9:08 pm

i was using hifx. i mentioned to them (silly me!) that i am calling from the US. they instantly suspended my account. something related to the FACTA law (or something similar) that they claim requires that all account holders be in the UK when transferring money.

i am opening an account with world first now. hopefully they are not so troublesome.

Pulaski Jul 15th 2013 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by boruchn (Post 10801719)
I mentioned to them (silly me!) that i am calling from the US. .....

That wuz a mistake! :rolleyes:

Giantaxe Jul 15th 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10801733)
That wuz a mistake! :rolleyes:

Hmm, Lloyds know full well I live in the US. In fact, they have called me here. So I doubt it was merely that that caused the account to be suspended. The transfer/FATCA angle sounds rather ominous though.

Giantaxe Jul 15th 2013 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10801738)
Hmm, Lloyds know full well I live in the US. In fact, they have called me here. So I doubt it was merely that that caused the account to be suspended. The transfer/FATCA angle sounds rather ominous though.

Oh wait, is your account still registered with a UK address? I can well see that trying to do a transfer from the US if that's the case would give Lloyds pause for FATCA concern.

boruchn Jul 15th 2013 10:18 pm

my account is still registered with a UK address. for a long time i had them mail my statements to my US address without a problem but at some point i switched it back to the UK (can't recall why).

RICH Jul 15th 2013 11:51 pm

Just a guess, but probably fraud prevention, due to the unusual activity. A face to face is a bit different though. I don't have Lloyds (TSB) current account, but have had a credit card for years. They send statements to my US address, and accept US$ checks for payment with no issues.

MsElui Jul 16th 2013 12:15 am

I have a Lloyd's account too and have been getting statements addressed to my us house for 6 plus years without issue. I've also mentioned to Them on the phone tht I'm calling from America and never been questioned.

boruchn Jul 16th 2013 12:38 am

yes, it is fraud prevention. i have tried talking sense to them but it is to no avail. i have offered to go into the uk consulate to ID myself but they are not having it. even hung the phone up on me when i insisted they find another way to ID me!