Reload this Page >

LLC with one partner being a non US resident

LLC with one partner being a non US resident

Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

ShelleyMan will become famous soon enough
Default LLC with one partner being a non US resident

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can open up an LLC in the US with one partner as a legal alien and the other based in Australia.

Also I understand the partner living in Australia could not claim a salary as he does not have a SSN, would he be able to take a dividend - or how else could he get his profit?

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LLC with one partner being a non US resident

Originally Posted by ShelleyMan View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can open up an LLC in the US with one partner as a legal alien and the other based in Australia.

Also I understand the partner living in Australia could not claim a salary as he does not have a SSN, would he be able to take a dividend - or how else could he get his profit?

Thanks
Why would the Australian not be able to be compensated for being a partner and working in the LLC? They are working in Oz, not the US, even though it is a US limited liability company.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
From a tax perspective there's no issue with a partnership having a non-resident alien partner. The NRA partner will file a nonresident US tax return to report his/her share of the partnership profits. Check with an attorney in your state to make sure there's no issue in having a foreign owner of a LLC.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

I agree, I was not sure why we were told the Australian would not be able to get a salary and they were not sure about the dividends, they said the rule is you have to have a visa and SSN to draw a salary in the US. We've put a call into someone else to see what they say.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter Newton View Post
From a tax perspective there's no issue with a partnership having a non-resident alien partner. The NRA partner will file a nonresident US tax return to report his/her share of the partnership profits. Check with an attorney in your state to make sure there's no issue in having a foreign owner of a LLC.
Thanks for the info - so the Australian would say take his profit of $1000 and would then file a nonresident tax return (assume annually) and be told what to pay, it would not be the company who would have to pay the tax on his behalf.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info - so the Australian would say take his profit of $1000 and would then file a nonresident tax return (assume annually) and be told what to pay, it would not be the company who would have to pay the tax on his behalf.
Right- the partnership itself does not pay income tax. The individual partners have the liability.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I was not sure why we were told the Australian would not be able to get a salary and they were not sure about the dividends, they said the rule is you have to have a visa and SSN to draw a salary in the US. We've put a call into someone else to see what they say.
Who told you that in the first place and who is the 'else' are you calling?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
Who told you that in the first place and who is the 'else' are you calling?
A lawyer and accountant, we have found a corporate lawyer who does international businesses now, so we will be meeting with him.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:12 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There may also be some reporting requirement if your company is more than 25% owned by a foreign national. The LLC has to report this I think. Form 5472 I believe.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies and helpful information, it's much appreciated.