Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living and working in US

Living and working in US

Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Edwards-family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and working in US

Myself, my wife and our 4 children want to live and work in the US, can any ex-pats offer advice, after looking at various websites, we are more confused than ever advice received includes, go to US and never come home and hope for an amnesty (not really an option for a family) find a job first( hard from UK) so any advice gratfully received
Thanks)
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working in US

Originally posted by Edwards-family
Myself, my wife and our 4 children want to live and work in the US, .....
There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative that can sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

Given that (i) isn't an option for you, by far the easiest, if you can position yourself in the right job with the right employer (which is extremely tricky, to say the least) and lowest rick option is (iii). Which ever way you try to do it, it is difficult, and much more so if you have a family to consider.

Unless you, or your wife, has a skill that is in demand and acceptable for visa purposes to immigrate to the US, there is very little room for optimisim that you'll be able to acheive what you want.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 20th 2003 at 9:59 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:52 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Re: Living and working in US

Originally posted by Edwards-family
Myself, my wife and our 4 children want to live and work in the US, can any ex-pats offer advice, after looking at various websites, we are more confused than ever advice received includes, go to US and never come home and hope for an amnesty (not really an option for a family) find a job first( hard from UK) so any advice gratfully received
Thanks)
It's a difficult one. There's no easy route for you. Go to US and hope for an amnesty is stupid advice. The diversity visa lottery isn't open to you if you're English. Find a job is probably the only one you have going for you unless you're loaded cash-wise - and even a work-based visa is frought with difficulties and uncertainties. A German family I know came here on a work-based visa. He thought he'd get a green card within a year - that's what he was told. He's now on his fourth year of waiting. He has a very high level job in the money business but if he loses his job at any time - and that can happen easily here with a downturned economy and generally much less in the way of workers' rights - he has ten days to drag his kids out of school, pack up and move out. His wife has had to cope with living under that shadow for years and there's no end in sight yet. This guy is highly qualiied but knows his right to be here always hangs by a thread. They've decided to give it one more year - again - in the hopes the green card is forthcoming but who knows.

Are you aware of employment conditions here? A lot of jobs will only offer you one week's vacation in the first year - two for long-serving employees. Many jobs never offer more than that. Health care is very expensive - though also very good.

To get a visa that's work based you need to be sponsored by a US employer - then you'll have to go through criminal and security checks as well as medicals where they'll test you for AIDS, TB etc.

I'm not trying to put you off - I wouldn't be anywhere else right now despite the homesickness that strikes from time to time - just wanted you to be aware of some of the lesser known facts.

If you don't come on an employer-sponsored visa you can invest a whole lot of money in a buiness here but that doesn't give you residency rights and when your business folds you have to pack up and go.

Ask any immigrant - work is hard to find here right now, even if you're well qualified in your field and here on the spot. English qualifications - no matter that the English think they're better - don't always translate well. There's pressure, with the economy the way it is, for people to hire US citizens before us aliens. Nurses seem to be in demand, though. Any chance you're all nurses?

Wishing you luck but you might need to rethink...

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
(Late of English Lake District, now Dallas)

Last edited by ScarlettHill; Aug 20th 2003 at 9:54 pm.

Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:01 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask any immigrant - work is hard to find here right now, even if you're well qualified in your field and here on the spot. English qualifications - no matter that the English think they're better - don't always translate well. There's pressure, with the economy the way it is, for people to hire US citizens before us aliens.
Scarlett made a lot of great points, it is damn hard to find work in the US right now, I've been through unemployment here (I was on a visa at the time and luckily rehired by the same company within 3 months). Trying to target companies who may have an international HR team who at least have some incling of how to handle visa petitions is extremely tough, the hiring manager may want you but the HR department can always do without the hassle and hire a US citizen in the blink of an eye.

There is no hiding your status either since it is a required field on Internet job sites.

Even with a green card it is tough to find work in an environment when you are literally competing with hundreds of applicants.

And when things get tough, all I ever want to do is go home, I miss the rain and green hedgerows, believe it or not!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:06 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
Scarlett made a lot of great points, it is damn hard to find work in the US right now, I've been through unemployment here (I was on a visa at the time and luckily rehired by the same company within 3 months). Trying to target companies who may have an international HR team who at least have some incling of how to handle visa petitions is extremely tough, the hiring manager may want you but the HR department can always do without the hassle and hire a US citizen in the blink of an eye.

There is no hiding your status either since it is a required field on Internet job sites.

Even with a green card it is tough to find work in an environment when you are literally competing with hundreds of applicants.

And when things get tough, all I ever want to do is go home, I miss the rain and green hedgerows, believe it or not!
I believe it - yesterday all I wanted to do was huddle on a bench in an anorak and eat soggy fish 'n' chips in the rain. ANd I never OWNED an anorak when I was in England!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: missing strange things

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
I believe it - yesterday all I wanted to do was huddle on a bench in an anorak and eat soggy fish 'n' chips in the rain. ANd I never OWNED an anorak when I was in England!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Waiting in the rain at a bus stop, under an umbrella, it's dark, and it's only 4.30 in the afternoon!

Wellington boots and crumpets for tea.

Annoying little village shops with a selection of survival gear like Jaffa Cakes, ancient apples, sweets, all hideously overpriced.

Milkmen (no jokes please!)
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:19 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Re: missing strange things

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Waiting in the rain at a bus stop, under an umbrella, it's dark, and it's only 4.30 in the afternoon!

Wellington boots and crumpets for tea.

Annoying little village shops with a selection of survival gear like Jaffa Cakes, ancient apples, sweets, all hideously overpriced.

Milkmen (no jokes please!)
Ohhhhhh...... milkmen..... I'd forgotten milkmen. How could I do that?

Want one!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:21 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

oh no, now that's done it, now I am homesick...

While outside the sky is blue, the humidity is rising, (as it does around about this time every week for 5 months of the year), the 2 new mosquito bites on my forehead (of all places) are swelling nicely...and all I wanna be doing is eating a jacket potato (no sour cream please I'm British), snuggled in front of EastEnders, waiting for the Nine O'Clock News (the BBC still has that slot for news right, or is it 10.00).

oh no I've been away too long, I've even forgotten how bad the Tube really is!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
oh no, now that's done it, now I am homesick...

While outside the sky is blue, the humidity is rising, (as it does around about this time every week for 5 months of the year), the 2 new mosquito bites on my forehead (of all places) are swelling nicely...and all I wanna be doing is eating a jacket potato (no sour cream please I'm British), snuggled in front of EastEnders, waiting for the Nine O'Clock News (the BBC still has that slot for news right, or is it 10.00).

oh no I've been away too long, I've even forgotten how bad the Tube really is!

You think that's bad. I get homesick watching the Teletubbies with my son! The heat must be getting to me.