Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in the US, giving birth in the UK.

Living in the US, giving birth in the UK.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Jilly69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in the US, giving birth in the UK.

I'm a British Citizen (US resident alien) who has lived in the US for about 9 years, I am married to an American. We're thinking about having children and wondered how it worked if we had a baby in the UK, my sister is a midwife (still living there) so I have always said I'd like her to look after me.

Does anybody know if this baby will be classed as a UK Citizen (I'm presuming so), also what steps would I need to take to bring it back to the US?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:35 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as you give birth you can register it with both embassies and it will be dual citizenship, no matter where it was born. The problem is residency. You can't just jump on a plane, push out the sprog on the NHS then jump back on the plane. You are only entitled to free NHS care if you are a resident in the UK (which you are not).

This gives you three options

1. When you get pregnant, go home and become a UK resident again.

2. Go home and buy health insurance that would cover your birth in the UK

3. Stay in the US

I don't think jumping on a plane in month 8 and all of a sudden claiming residency will cut it as you have not paid taxes.

Patrick
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:01 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

But you could jump on a plane at 8 months and go private in the UK, n'est-ce-pas? One would hope sis would charge a discount rate for families?

You should have no problem registering baby as a US citizen and getting an American passport for it.

That said, why not fly your sister over to be a birthing partner in the US?
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, I had considered flying my sis over here instead but I'm not sure how that would go down with the US doctors/hospitals. I guess she could provide the in-home care which, from what I've heard, isn't really supplied here. Does anybody have any clue how much it costs to give birth privately in the UK?

I think my main concern about giving birth in the UK is how long it would take to get all the necessary paperwork done (ie, registering the baby, getting a passport etc) after having it.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jilly69
Thanks for the replies, I had considered flying my sis over here instead but I'm not sure how that would go down with the US doctors/hospitals. I guess she could provide the in-home care which, from what I've heard, isn't really supplied here. Does anybody have any clue how much it costs to give birth privately in the UK?

I think my main concern about giving birth in the UK is how long it would take to get all the necessary paperwork done (ie, registering the baby, getting a passport etc) after having it.
From what i understand (my mum is midwife trained in the UK) you could contact your local NHS hospital and ask to give birth there and how much it would cost. I know NHS hospitals do this all the time as my mum would deliver loads of middle eastern babies. About 10 years ago the whole thing cost a few hundred quid, now i would estimate about 400 quid. The advantage of this is it is 'all in', so no funny expenses incase you need any extra medicine like they bill you here. Although, from what she said, Brits were never billed, even those expats. She said loads of mums came from the US as it was loads cheaper, well, free, and they felt more comfortable giving birth in a familiar system. Even now, with all the hot air spouted by the government on NHS tourists, i think most NHS hospitals wouldn't bill any expat. The NHS doesn't have the fees mentality of the US, infact most Dr friends of my mum hate the private model and on principal wouldn't charge for treatment upon delivery.

From personal experience, getting a birth certificate and british passport (not sure on the time length for a US one) can be done in a day, but you have to go to London and pay loads for the day processing.

Hope that helps....just my 2 penneth.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I have heard tales of men flying pregnant wives back to Yorkshire so that any male offspring would be eligible to play for the county. Invariably the child turns out to be a daughter though lol.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jilly69

Aside from the fact your sister, despite her medical training/qualifications, could not legitimately assist with your delivery in a US hospital, your sister could neither legitimately come to the US on the Visa Waiver as a tourist.

If she's visiting you in the US to give you post-delivery care, that would definitely not be "kosher" as an activity for a visitor as far as US Immigration officials are concerned.

However, your sister may be able to be present at birth (purely as a family member and not in her professional capacity) in the delivery room with you, should you decide to give birth in the US. I would check with the hospittal you wish to give birth. They may only allow one family member in the delivery room with you (which means choosing between your husband or perhaps your sister).
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the info, I guess I should wait until I'm actually pregnant until I start worrying. I'm heading back in June for 5 weeks so I'll maybe do some studying up then.

By the way, I am from Yorkshire so maybe my yank husband would be interested in his 'son' playing for the county, I'll have to ask him! Of course he thinks his manliness would only produce sons.

Jill
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:59 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Aside from the fact your sister, despite her medical training/qualifications, could not legitimately assist with your delivery in a US hospital, your sister could neither legitimately come to the US on the Visa Waiver as a tourist. If she's visiting you in the US to give you post-delivery care, that would definitely not be "kosher" as an activity for a visitor as far as US Immigration officials are concerned.
How could anyone stop her giving her opinion to the woman in labour if the opinion is solicited? Just because she can't physically get stuck in, doesn't mean her experience cannot be made use of. And she's still a visitor if she's not getting paid and intends to leave, surely?

However, your sister may be able to be present at birth (purely as a family member and not in her professional capacity) in the delivery room with you, should you decide to give birth in the US. I would check with the hospittal you wish to give birth. They may only allow one family member in the delivery room with you (which means choosing between your husband or perhaps your sister).
If the hospital only allows one companion (which I find hard to believe), you could probably find another hospital. This is supposed to be the land of free choice. And yes, I have had a baby here.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

lau3rie is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by monster
But you could jump on a plane at 8 months and go private in the UK, n'est-ce-pas?
Not to be pedantic, but surely you wouldn't by flying anywhere in the third trimester?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:00 am
Winter hyphenator

I did. Last three weeks are usually a no-no. Are American doctors more cautious by any chance?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I did. Last three weeks are usually a no-no. Are American doctors more cautious by any chance?
It's not only the docs that may be cautious. If you want to fly, if you're honest about how far along you are, a lot of airlines won't let you fly after like 7 1/2 months I believe. Guess they're too afraid you'll go into labor on the flight.

"Stewardess!! My water just broke!!"
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:17 pm
Winter hyphenator

Yeah, admittedly it was just within Europe for me. But the 8 month was more a figure of speech in the original point which was that you could go private in the -the fact that you are not entitled to NHS care does not mean you cannot fly over to give birth in the UK then return home.

Besides, airline crews are trained in first aid, including emergency deliveries
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Now that'd be one to write home about, join the mile-high club on the first trip back over to England with the husband, then give birth on the third! I did pay taxes in England though for about 10 years before moving over here, surely that's worth something in NHS care? The most I ever did was visit the doctor when I had tonsilitis once or twice.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

lau3rie is on a distinguished road

aww...now let me be pedantic!
to be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure of the requirements and restrictions, but I had a romantic notion (from films etc) that you weren't supposed to fly during the third trimester...I'm just hoping it's never something I have to worry about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.