Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in UK, want to close 401(k)

Living in UK, want to close 401(k)

Old Feb 6th 2015, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

NOLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in UK, want to close 401(k)

Hi there,

My wife is a US citizen but has been living in the UK for the past 8 years. She also recently became a UK citizen.

She would like to close her $20k 401(k) and move the funds over to the UK. From a UK tax perspective it's a good time to move the money as she isn't currently working and therefore would have to pay very minimal, if any, UK income tax.

My question is about what the penalty would be to withdrawing funds from her 401(k). I understand that there would be a 10% early withdrawal penalty but would there be any additional with withholding tax levied? She is not currently paying any tax in the US as her earnings are nil.

I'm sorry if this has been covered in earlier posts. I couldn't find a response to this specific question.

Many thanks, ben
Old Feb 6th 2015, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in UK, want to close 401(k)

I think you'll owe 10% plus the tax that would have been paid on 20k. So a significant hit perhaps?

Is she younger than 70.5?
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I think you'll owe 10% plus the tax that would have been paid on 20k. So a significant hit perhaps?

Is she younger than 70.5?
That would be my understanding as well assuming she is under age 59.5. (no 10% penalty after that)

Once she gets to age 70.5 she is required to start withdrawals and there are tax penalties for failing to do so.

PS
Although she is now a UK citizen she is still required to file a US tax return each year as a US citizen.

Last edited by durham_lad; Feb 6th 2015 at 3:05 pm. Reason: added PS
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

NOLA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much. She is 37 years old, so it looks as though she would pay 10% penalty plus 20% US tax.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd just stick it in an index fund inside the 401k and leave it there, unless you're desperate for the money.

UK tax reporting of foreign assets is much less onerous than that for the US, so it shouldn't be a big hassle for you.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Personally, I'd just stick it in an index fund inside the 401k and leave it there.
Agreed.
Nice nest egg for later.

(You can Google for 401k hardship withdrawals but I would not recommend unless it's an emergency.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 6th 2015 at 3:16 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NOLA
Thank you very much. She is 37 years old, so it looks as though she would pay 10% penalty plus 20% US tax.
I think it is more complicated than that. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along but as a US Citizen she is liable on her worldwide income and still has to file US taxes as well as UK taxes.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Owen778
Personally, I'd just stick it in an index fund inside the 401k and leave it there, unless you're desperate for the money.

UK tax reporting of foreign assets is much less onerous than that for the US, so it shouldn't be a big hassle for you.
Good idea, the UK won't tax anything inside a 401k or IRA until it is withdrawn.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I think it is more complicated than that. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along but as a US Citizen she is liable on her worldwide income and still has to file US taxes as well as UK taxes.

Complicated in what way?

She may, or may not, be required to submit a US tax return.

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 6th 2015 at 3:26 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

In what way?
She is a US citizen living (and working?) in the UK so she should be filing US tax returns each year as well as paying UK taxes. Distributions from US retirement plans, such as an IRA or 401k have to be reported and taxed as income in the UK as well as reported and taxed in the US. The double taxation agreement means that she can claim a tax credit on her US taxes for taxes paid in the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

She may, or may not, be required to submit a US tax return.
If she withdraws $20k from her 401k then that is above the threshold for reporting for a US tax return is it not?
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She is a US citizen living (and working?) in the UK so she should be filing US tax returns each year
I thought it depended on income.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought it depended on income.
Withdrawing $20k from a 401k is taxable income.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Withdrawing $20k from a 401k is taxable income.
On this specific occasion yes but does she still need to submit returns every year, as you said, if she's below the income limit? Just clarifying.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

On this specific occasion yes but does she still need to submit returns every year, as you said, if she's below the income limit? Just clarifying.
If her income is below the IRS limit then I believe she won't have to file taxes in the US, but she is still subject to FBAR, and file to the US Treasury through FINCEN if her foreign accounts exceed the $10k threshold at any point in a year.

ETA
If she cashes out the 401k and transferred it to a bank account of hers in the UK then she would need an FBAR filing as well.

Last edited by durham_lad; Feb 6th 2015 at 3:51 pm. Reason: added ETA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.