Reload this Page >

Living in Seattle

Living in Seattle

Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

ryanmclean97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Seattle

LOL, no post here now. Please, just delete this

Last edited by ryanmclean97; Sep 29th 2015 at 8:44 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Living in Seattle

Currently live in the Seattle area and have done for about 8 years.

Originally Posted by ryanmclean97
1. Can I get a PayAsYouGo sim in the US? (I have a unlocked phone)
Yes. Look for a TMobile or ATT SIMS.

2. What are your opinions on the public transport within the city?
Sucks, Hire a car IF you plan to leave the Seattle metro area.

3. Best places to meet people or other expats?
Wouldn't it be better to meet locals. However there are a lot of overseas/nnoe local people living and working in the seattle area.

4. Some nice restaurants? (open to anything)
Yelp and lots of food guides. However I haven't found any good places that offer best bang for buck. Lots of locals (USA) typically like the chain places.

5. Some of the nicest things to see/do? (I'm open to anything)
Hit up any guidebooks. Seattle and the greater area is all about the outdoors.

6. Is there any other states I should visit whilst over there? I.e: Oregon, Idaho, etc and why?
I love Portland which is about 4 hours drive south

7. Any nice train routes I could take around the state or any other states?
If you are here closer to Christmas they have a steam train ride from Seattle to Leavenworth. With Santa. Well worth it. Leavonworth is a "German" town. Fun thing to do at the weekend and a good place in winter.

8. Has anyone ever withdrawn money over there instead of converting here? Is there a big fee to pay?
USA is all about using the credit/debt cards. I hardly have any cash in my pockets. The fee just depend on the agreement you and the banks have. My debit card gives me free cash withdraw from ATMs worldwide. So you need to check with yourbank and the ATM/bank you plan to withdraw from. Most ATMs here will tell you what the fee is. Typically around $1 to $3
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

This is my first serious forum post.

I am going to be in Seattle next Monday for nearly 2 months doing some social media bits & bobs with a view to a permanent stay regarding my performance. ......
Sounds to me, and probably to CBP that you'll be "working". What sort of visa do you have?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sounds to me, and probably to CBP that you'll be "working". What sort of visa do you have?
Odd how the original post has suddenly been edited...
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

I won't be getting paid, just accommodation provided as I will be travelling around the US too

Last edited by ryanmclean97; Sep 29th 2015 at 8:48 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yeah, illuminati stuff
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

1. Can I get a PayAsYouGo sim in the US? (I have a unlocked phone)
2. Has anyone ever withdrawn money over there instead of converting here? Is there a big fee to pay?

Any other information you have or feel like you would be useful, please let me know!
You do realize that you cannot 'live' in Seattle for 2 months without a visa? You can visit for 2 months but not live.

As others have said...it sounds like you are trying to work. If this is so you really should think very carefully as to how this could impact any future plans you may have about traveling, working or living in the US.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You do realize that you cannot 'live' in Seattle for 2 months without a visa? You can visit for 2 months but not live.

As others have said...it sounds like you are trying to work. If this is so you really should think very carefully as to how this could impact any future plans you may have about traveling, working or living in the US.
Yeah! I will be visiting not working, people have got the wrong end of the stick! totally my fault, but I have found the other information elsewhere now due to being back to my computer.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

QFT, #3.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

QFT, #3.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am actually going to be travelling under VWP. I won't be getting paid, just accommodation provided as I will be travelling around the US too
Yeah doing work someone would normally be paid for and receiving accommodation in lieu...hmmm
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Yeah doing work someone would normally be paid for and receiving accommodation in lieu...hmmm
Can't be bothered with this
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:39 pm

Yeah! I will be visiting not working, people have got the wrong end of the stick! totally my fault, but I have found the other information elsewhere now due to being back to my computer.
Unless your plans have changed in the past few minutes, you WILL be working. As others have said already, you are treading on very dangerous ground. FYI for visa/ immigration purposes, work does not mean "being paid for doing something", it means "doing something for which it is customary to be paid, irrespective of whether you are actually paid for doing it."

If you are turned away at the airport you may be forced to get a visa before you are allowed to return, even if you were coming for a holiday.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly will you be doing...what do you mean by doing 'social media bits and bobs with a view to a permanent stay'? Best to find out now if what you intend doing is kosher.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:40 pm

Can't be bothered with this
I'm glad you find this funny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.