Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in Sarasota - looking for advice!

Living in Sarasota - looking for advice!

Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:11 am
NRW
Just Joined

NRW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Sarasota - looking for advice!

I have a visa and am looking to relocate from the UK to Sarasota. I have school age children and am really looking for a safe area in Sarasota where I can rent initially with a view to buy. I keep hearing about the crime rate in Sarasota so am wondering whether anyone has any advice on which areas to look at. I would ideally like to be near the beach.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Sarasota - looking for advice!

you might like to try posting/having a look at :

www.city-data.com

Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a couple of people over there on here, or were at least so there are a couple of threads on the place if you search, probably a little old mind, but a good place to start I guess
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:25 am
Just Joined

yorkshiregirl1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living in Sarasota - looking for advice!

Originally Posted by NRW
I have a visa and am looking to relocate from the UK to Sarasota. I have school age children and am really looking for a safe area in Sarasota where I can rent initially with a view to buy. I keep hearing about the crime rate in Sarasota so am wondering whether anyone has any advice on which areas to look at. I would ideally like to be near the beach.

I live in the Sarasota area, I have lived here for 15 years. Like anywhere there are bad areas and good areas. You do not say how old your children are as to know the best elementary, middle or high schools. Sarasota/Bradenton is a beautiful place to live. You say you want to live near the beach how close? After being here 15 years I moved away from the beach to what is considered out east. Close to the beaches yet you can hope on the highway in all different directions. Private community, rentals available. check out www.lakewoodranch.com great neighbourhood masterplanned community, great schools, ex-pat club here too. Beaches close in all directions and far enough out to avoid hurricane evacuations.
Also another neighbourhood Bradenton www.heritageharbour.com.
If you need more info let me know when you are looking to move etc. I could perhaps send you more websites to check out.
Good luck
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:46 am
NRW
Just Joined

Hi, my children are 3 and 5 and we were thinking of west of the trail and walking distance to at least a couple of shops etc. Southside school is apparently really good as I have heard. We have previously stayed a 10/15 min drive to everything which is a bit of a nightmare if you need a pint of milk! I looked at LR on the internet and note that there appears to be a lot going on. Are there a lot of families there? Thanks

Last edited by NRW; Jun 9th 2009 at 6:38 am.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:47 am
NRW
Just Joined

P.S. am looking to move in 8 weeks
Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

im9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really niceim9907620 is just really nice
Wink Re: Living in Sarasota - looking for advice!

Its what ticks most boxes. Schools will be a major consideration and there are good ones dotted around but bear in mind when your children will start school as opposed to nursery/kindergarten. It has been suggested that the US curriculum is not as advanced as the UK. We have a place not far fron LWR. You need a car to get milk in most places but LWR does have a fairly active selection of shops, restaurantants, sports etc.

The nearer the beach you go the more costly it becomes but the next 6 months could be the (last) time to pick up a bargain. I don't know Osprey or Venice that well but they may be worth considering. A good realtor is essential of course. Stay clear of West Bradenton, west of the 64, as some areas are synonomous with increasing crime.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:55 am
Just Joined

SarasotaChad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NRW
Hi, my children are 3 and 5 and we were thinking of west of the trail and walking distance to at least a couple of shops etc. Southside school is apparently really good as I have heard. We have previously stayed a 10/15 min drive to everything which is a bit of a nightmare if you need a pint of milk! I looked at LR on the internet and note that there appears to be a lot going on. Are there a lot of families there? Thanks
Hi NRW,

Hopefully I can be of some assistance. I have children ages 9/14/16 and also live "West of the Trail" just a couple of streets away from Morton's Market, Sam Sneads and all the other shops. Southside Elementary IS a great school. Many people move to this general area just so they are zoned for that school. As for being close to the shops and restaurants. My wife, myself and the kids all LOVE it. Just last week there was a big chili cook off down in front of Morton's. They shut down all the streets and had live music, tons of food and drink, it was a great time! While "walking" back to our house my wife and I both talked about how glad we are to be living in such a great neighborhood.

As for Lakewood Ranch, that is a great place to live too. Although it is not nearly as close to the beaches it does have things that make it stand out as well... such as a Polo Fields, downtown main street with shopping and restaurants and many communities with golf courses, trails, lakes, etc..and yes there are lots of families out there.

Let me know if you need any other info & Congrats on your decision to move to Beautiful Sarasota!

Chad
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NRW

Hi there,

I can't offer you advice on specific areas to move unfortunately, but for what it's worth one of my best friends moved to Sarasota in July and she's loving it. She's finding all sorts of quirky things to do and is in love with the consignment shops in the area.

Best of luck with your move!!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

NOTE: The realtor has pulled up old outdated posts to reply to. Please do not continue to breathe life into them. Let me remain dead.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
NOTE: The realtor
Ray will be happy And one from his neck of the woods, too.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
NOTE: The realtor has pulled up old outdated posts to reply to. Please do not continue to breathe life into them. Let me remain dead.
Could be looking for 'new' clients? Or am I just a cynic
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Ray will be happy And one from his neck of the woods, too.
Bleedin parasites