Reload this Page >

Living in Oklahoma?

Living in Oklahoma?

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:47 pm
mee
Banned

mee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Oklahoma?

after much research i have decided to relocate to Oklahoma, due to a reasonably good economy and low cost of living i.e. housing, land, food etc.

and i right in thinking this?

and what is life like there?

i am looking for a job as either a social worker, sociologist, business administrator/manager, is OK suitable for these careers and how much can i expect to earn approximately?

any other information stated about living in OK will be greatly appreciated
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Oklahoma?

Perhaps you should visit see what it's like, it looks quite big on maps.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

You might need to be more specific. It's a large state and all of your questions will vary depending on which location you choose.

Something else to bear in mind - tornadoes, that might affect your decision.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mee
after much research i have decided to relocate to Oklahoma, due to a reasonably good economy and low cost of living i.e. housing, land, food etc.

i am looking for a job as either a social worker, sociologist, business administrator/manager, is OK suitable for these careers and how much can i expect to earn approximately?

Yesterday you had no idea where you wanted to live, and today you have done 'much research' on OK??

Have you done any research on a visa as yet?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the visa question will be the first thing on everyone's mind, I will say here that the OP will be immigrating to the USA based on marriage to a USC. He'll be getting an immigrant visa so will become a US PR upon entry to the USA. Therefore, all employment paths are open to him. He doesn't need an employer to sponsor his visa.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mee
I agree with others who say it's best to at least come for a VWP visit to Oklahoma to check things out. OK is a big state, and you will want to probably visit several different cities, both large and small, to see what cost of living is like, get a feel for the atmosphere, see what businesses are successful, etc.

I can say that jobs as a business admin/manager can probably be found everywhere across the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since the visa question will be the first thing on everyone's mind, I will say here that the OP will be immigrating to the USA based on marriage to a USC. He'll be getting an immigrant visa so will become a US PR upon entry to the USA. Therefore, all employment paths are open to him. He doesn't need an employer to sponsor his visa.

Rene
Yesterday he did seem rather at sea with the marriage visa. Hopefully that is now sorted out.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yesterday he did seem rather at sea with the marriage visa. Hopefully that is now sorted out.
I hope the fiance is ok with OK. Where is she from originally?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mee

I'm so glad you managed to do the research overnight and narrow down the whole of the USA to Oklahoma. Had you considered a job as a researcher?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I hope the fiance is ok with OK. Where is she from originally?
In yesterday's thread, he stated that she's lived away from the USA for 6 years and does not have family or ties to any particular part of the USA, so is open to living anywhere.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mee

You salary will be dependent upon the number of years of experience you have in the job field and the level of the position you are hired for in the hierarchy of the company. It may also depend upon the size of the market you work in -- i.e. city or small town. For instance, a small local company in a town in OK is probably not going to pay the same salary as a big company in Chicago. There are so many variables at play, but you can google for US salary levels in your chosen field. While you are at it, research how to edit a British CV into a US resume.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mee
I am looking for a job as either a social worker, sociologist, business administrator/manager, is OK suitable for these careers and how much can i expect to earn approximately? ....
Your ease of finding work will depend on your qualifications and experience. The US as a whole is not a major employer of sociologists and social workers, in fact social support is sadly lacking especially in remote, rural, and southern states such as Oklahoma. Your ability to even get an interview for a role may be dependent on you obtaining a local certification, which may mean more training and exams.

Work as an admin manager is going to be much more dependent on experience, and access to the best jobs would be confined to people with good experience, and perhaps diplomas in relevant work and/or membership of trade organizations. Do you have specific experience or would you be looking for an entry level position?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Oklahoma is the heart of tornado alley so you should have fun when one hits. Tulsa and Oklahoma City aren't too bad but there is not much else in the state. Instead you should look at more interesting states that are relatively inexpensive but have better landscapes such as New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, and Montana in the west and many southeastern states.

Although North Dakota is booming and is inexpensive, the winters are brutal and there isn't much of a landscape there either.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:43 pm
mee
Banned

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
thank you, at least there's someone who knows what there talking about
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:44 pm
mee
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your ease of finding work will depend on your qualifications and experience. The US as a whole is not a major employer of sociologists and social workers, in fact social support is sadly lacking especially in remote, rural, and southern states such as Oklahoma. Your ability to even get an interview for a role may be dependent on you obtaining a local certification, which may mean more training and exams.

Work as an admin manager is going to be much more dependent on experience, and access to the best jobs would be confined to people with good experience, and perhaps diplomas in relevant work and/or membership of trade organizations. Do you have specific experience or would you be looking for an entry level position?

i have no previous experience in any work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.