British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Living in Michigan. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/living-michigan-214693/)

Guinevere Mar 4th 2004 9:00 am

Living in Michigan.

Hiya. Well I went there on the plane (first time on a plane) and it was nerve wrecking, but had to change to so many airports which nice. I went to Michigan in October and got engaged to my fiance Scott who's 37. I left Birmingham to Newark, New York, then from there to Chicago O'Hare and then from there to Grand Rapids which is a quiet airport. When I arrived in New York, it hadn't struck me at all that I was in the USA, I mean you get some people who will say, ' wow, I'm in America' but somehow, I wasn't like that you know. Anyway, I was shattered when I arrived cause it was like about 3 am our time and 10 am their time as Scott's 5 hours behind us. But I finally got use to their hours etc. I was only there for a week though. Scott came over for three weeks on the 4th of Feb and thought England was different, he seems to like it and found it very unusual that our taps are a different way as in the hot and cold taps and that the toilet flush handle was on the right hand side as they have it on the left I think. Anyway, unfortunately, he went home last Tuesday (24th) and I miss him very much, but I go on the 20th of April for a week, can't wait.:D

The weather back in Michigan in October was beautiful, we had one or two days where it was Indian Summer and it was lovely. It's so full of countryside and lots of trees in their different autumn colours and it looks so peaceful where he actually lives and I just can't wait to live there with him.

Has anyone theirselves is in this same situation as I am, if so please tell me about it.

Guinevere.:)

Manc Mar 4th 2004 12:51 pm

Re: Living in Michigan.

Originally posted by Guinevere
The weather back in Michigan in October was beautiful
Wait til February.

Lion in Winter Mar 4th 2004 12:53 pm

Re: Living in Michigan.

Originally posted by manc1976
Wait til February.
You old cynic. Maybe she likes snow and minus 20 degree temps.

Jan Alaska Mar 4th 2004 1:11 pm

I first visited Michigan just over 3 years ago in March, there was about 6ft of snow on the ground and the evening after I arrived (5 hours late) we had a foot of snow! I was so shocked but I loved it.
Next visit was in May the weather was wonderful, I stayed nearly 6 weeks by the end of June the weather was HOT HOT HOT!!!

When you come over in April you'll get some idea of our winter as there will possibly still be snow on the ground, I'm sure Scott has told you of our winters .... LOL I wish I could tell you to ignore lion in winter laughing about -20 temps ... this year our lowest temp recorded (I'm 200 miles north of GR) was -27C which as my dear hubby says is cold enough to freeze your nose hairs !!!

Hope you enjoy Michigan as much as I do

Jan :)

Manc Mar 4th 2004 1:17 pm

Hey Jan, I want to take the boy camping in the UP this summer, know of any campsites up there or what? pet friendly too if possible as I'd like to take his black lab with us.

Jan Alaska Mar 4th 2004 1:33 pm

manc everywhere in the UP is pet friendly, even the motels let them stay, its a world away from the tightassed attitudes down here I can tell ye.
I'll ask hubby this evening, he has hundreds of great lil spots for camping up there. Are you just going to enjoy the wilderness or fishing or or ??

oh ps ... managed to break 2 ribs so new car a ways off right now, will get back to you when theres a possibility of me getting behind the wheel again

Manc Mar 4th 2004 1:35 pm

Originally posted by jan_michigan
manc everywhere in the UP is pet friendly, even the motels let them stay, its a world away from the tightassed attitudes down here I can tell ye.
I'll ask hubby this evening, he has hundreds of great lil spots for camping up there. Are you just going to enjoy the wilderness or fishing or or ??

oh ps ... managed to break 2 ribs so new car a ways off right now, will get back to you when theres a possibility of me getting behind the wheel again
No worries thanks,

I've pulled my back out and it's giving me some right jip. I hear ya.

Guinevere Mar 4th 2004 1:49 pm

Yes I love snow and yes Scott has told me all about it, where he keeps getting inches of the stuff:D I hear it's all melting now??

Well Scott is coming over in June too and then I'm coming over to be with him for two weeks cause we're going to the Michigan faire where he used to work. He quit his weekend job at the faire for 10 years as he didn't get a chance to see everything. My daughter Claire will also be coming too.

The good thing about where Scott lives (Comstock Park) that is, the country-side is beautiful, so peaceful, everyone is so polite and helpful and loves the British accent, don't know why though:D and it has some great craft stores like Hobby Lobby store and also Michaels where I can get all my craft rings and beads/jewellery pieces fro my dreamcatchers that I make. Alos, I am not going miss one bit of the UK, I am looking forward to living in my new country and have a very happy life. This is the guy I should have found ages ago.

Guinevere.:)

Manc Mar 4th 2004 1:53 pm

Originally posted by Guinevere
The good thing about where Scott lives (Comstock Park) that is, the country-side is beautiful, so peaceful,
You are joking right? My brother in law lives there.
His neighbors are arseholes and crime is pretty rampant for still being a 'decent' suburb of Grand Rapids.
I-96 and US-131 slice right through the place.
The Deltaplex arena is right next door and Alpine Avenue is like Oxford Road on your best Christmas Shopping Saturday. Comstock Park and Grand Rapids in general reminds me of Sheffield.

Oggie Oi! Mar 4th 2004 2:07 pm

I heard that many Cornish emigrated to the UP in the late 1800s and that you can still get decent pasties in the area. Is that true?

Manc Mar 4th 2004 2:07 pm

yes apparently.
was quite a mining community in it's day, that's why the cornish went there.

Oggie Oi! Mar 4th 2004 2:17 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
yes apparently.
was quite a mining community in it's day, that's why the cornish went there.
I had heard the same thing about Tangier Island in Virginia, which was settled by fisherman from Cornwall and Devon. Since it was isolated from the mainland for centuries, many of the people have an accent that is definitely reminiscent of the West Country. Alas, I could not find any pasties, though the crab cakes were incredible!

Guinevere Mar 4th 2004 4:06 pm

Oh manc, by the way, glad to see you like Detroit Red Wings ice hockey team, my fiance supports them too :D

Jan Alaska Mar 4th 2004 10:00 pm

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Guinevere
Reply for Manc on UP camp sites ... we hope you have a 4x4 !

If you want camping that have sites, pit toilets and running water we suggest State Forest Campsites.
If however youre looking for something a little more 'rustic' there are campsites on State Land, you need a permit to stay at one of these sites, theyre available at DNR posts also the visitor centre at St.Ignace just as you cross the Mac has them also.
Specifically we would recommend the mouth of the Huron River, its on Lake Superior NE of Lanse. A friend of ours camped at a site in the Haiwatha State Park, they had a lake to themselves with great fishing and sooo much peace and quiet ! http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/hiaw...ide_detail.jpg

remember sand/stable flies along lake Superior shore end of May thru Aug are vicious !

If you need anymore info .. precise directions ... gimme a shout

monster Mar 5th 2004 1:16 am

Manc, what sort of campsites do you want in the UP -that's what we did after we visited you in August -we prefered the tiny lake edge sites with only hand-pumped water and hole in the ground bogs. If this is what you want, you just drive round 'til you find them -they're State-owned and everywhere and cost around $10 per night. You can pick up maps for them most tourist places. National Forest grounds are free, but bigger and further apart. Commercial sites are more expensive and more packed/less rustic but have all the facilities. There are also bigger and more well furnished sites in most of the State parks. Dogs are fine everywhere (much to my disgust ;))

The pasties are wonderful and I'm just about to have one for my dinner :D