Reload this Page >

Living on Jersey Shore and commuting to Lower Manhattan

Living on Jersey Shore and commuting to Lower Manhattan

Old Oct 19th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Perky74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living on Jersey Shore and commuting to Lower Manhattan

Good afternoon

My husband starts a new job in NY in January. We will follow him out from the Uk in April. I had pretty much decided on Summit as the place we want to live but we live in a beach town in the UK and I just wondered whether there were any nice beach towns in Jersey that my husband could commute to lower manhattan from? We have 2 children and a dog so excellent elementary schools and a lovely family community with parks are really important to us.

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on Jersey Shore and commuting to Lower Manhattan

My sister lived in Monmouth County New Jersey but not on the beach. Beach front property is very expensive, not just in terms of real estate, but in terms of insurance due to the high risk of flooding due to hurricanes. My niece went to St. Rose of Lima in Belmar as the public schools for Freehold suck big time.

To commute to NYC would be a long commute either by bus, train (or combination of both) or by car. If it were myself looking, I would consider areas in Monmouth County or the county just above that.

Some of my co-workers lived in Colts Neck, Freehold, Raritan and Manalapan and their commute by bus into Port Authority was an hour + and then your husband would have to take a subway to lower Manhattan.

Here is the wiki for shore towns you might want to look at and then check with NJ transit and Port Authority re the commute.

Since you will be an expat, I would think Spring Lake would be more your style and type of living.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Lake,_New_Jersey

http://www.visitspringlake.com/

http://www.zillow.com/spring-lake-nj/

Last edited by Rete; Oct 19th 2016 at 3:35 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

My in laws live in Monmouth County - I've taken the train in many times to Manhattan. Its about an hour and a half to Penn Station, then you'd need to figure out how to get to wherever you're going in NY, so call it a 2 hour commute each way. I wouldn't recommend it long term, although lots of people do it as the trains are packed during rush hour.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Summit is a good choice.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Perky74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank for this information, that's really useful. I was thinking he could catch a ferry to manhattan from Jersey Shore but it looks like that's not really possible. Think we will stick with Summit or areas nearby and try and do weekend beach visits for our seaside fix.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

If he works on Wall Street, look into the Seastreak ferry from Atlantic Highlands. It's super-pricey, but a friend did it for a couple of years and loved it.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 10:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Living on Jersey Shore and commuting to Lower Manhattan

My spouse works in Times Square, NYC and his Irish colleague lives in Middletown, NJ and commutes mainly by the above mentioned ferry (in bad winters the ferry doesn't run due to the waterways being iced up....you have no idea how cold it gets here in the winter!) Her spouse stays at home to look after their young sons but she tries to work from home a couple of times a week if she can.

She moved to Middletown from Stamford CT because she is obsessed with Bruce Springsteen and wanted to be able to see him when he does appearances from time to time at the "Stone Pony" in Asbury Park (one of the Shore towns) lol! You can see where the town is on google maps.

Btw; I go to Summit nearly every day to go to the Connection (I live in Short Hills). You won't go wrong with towns on the MidTown Direct train line going west from Maplewood/South Orange westbound.

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 22nd 2016 at 10:21 pm. Reason: Added something I'd forgotten.