Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I mentioned before that the upkeep of more than one home is expensive. You will need transport in both places...you will also have to keep the UK house heated during the winter months unless you turn off the water and drain all pipes and the radiators. You will also need to run the AC in Texas when you are in the UK. If you have a condo you will be paying condo fees for the 6 months of the year you're in the UK. There is also upkeep of the garden/swimming pool etc. Then there is insurance...very difficult to insure empty properties in the UK...don't know about Texas. Getting car insurance in the UK is difficult if you're not a UK resident...remember if you want to live in the US for a big chunk of the year...you are a US resident.

You really need someone who will keep an eye on your property when you are not there...and that can get tiresome for that person very quickly.
You have to pick your places and type of property, imo. For example, I would only consider a unit in an apartment building in the UK, preferably one with some kind of security separate from the unit itself. I live in a condo at this end so upkeep of a garden/swimming pool isn't an issue. I'd also pick a location on one side or other where the public transport meant a car wasn't essential. Insurance is tricky as is NHS eligibility. I wouldn't split time until I was Medicare-eligible, but of course that doesn't cover me in the UK. I have US citizenship so the time split isn't an issue in that regard.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 2nd 2012 at 10:32 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lose the GC.

Sounds like they want to keep that.
OK, I see what you mean. This is probably not something you'd want to attempt unless both of you (as a married couple) were dual citizens.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:13 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Originally Posted by Mandana
Hi all

Remember me?! I'm sorry I've not posted in aaaaaaaaages .. life has sort of got in the way just a little bit, what with weddings and funerals and work and possible redundancy.

So, to fast forward to our current situation. We *may* find ourselves in a situation where we're without work due to my husband's company going through a major restructure, and that means he could potentially find himself out of work through no choice of his own.

If that happens, he may decide to retire, and due to the health insurance situation, we would have to go back home.

The thing is, I don't want to. I love it here, and I've made some very good friends and a happy life.

We've been thrashing out all the scenarios, and one of them that got thrown in the ring (it is almost a boxing ring lol) tonight is living in the UK over the summer, and then spending the "winter" here in Texas.

It's something that only got brought up tonight so we've not investigated the logistics whatsoever, so I wondered if anyone does that, and what are the implications of doing that?

Any help or advice before we delve further or shelve the idea would be most appreciated.

Thank you, and apologies again for the extended absence from the forum
Well you don't necessarily have to return to the UK; if you are both British Citizens then you are able to live and work in any of the EU countries. It sounds as if you enjoy living in a warm/mild climate, so perhaps a nice little place in Provence, France or perhaps Italy, Spain or Cyprus might suit?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

You've made it more than obvious this is a lovely idea, but totally impractical. Only the very rich and famous are able to own and live in more than one country, and we're not in that league at all.

Apart from the property complexities (not forgetting tax implications, empty houses/apartments etc etc), there are two things I temporarily overlooked. Our cats!

I couldn't live without them for any length of time. Even a week away is too long sometimes, so months at a time is out of thr question.

Englishmum, I did put Europe to my OH. We'll have to work on that!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

lucelib is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
Thanks for that! This is what I wanted to hear. I hope Donald Trump hasn't screwed up Saint Andrews. He probably has. He has made waves up there.
I'm currently living in St Andrews and there's no sign of Donald Trump...yet! A few more major hotels moving into the area, however, so who knows what will happen in the next few years!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that! This is what I wanted to hear. I hope Donald Trump hasn't screwed up Saint Andrews. He probably has. He has made waves up there.
Donald Trump's Golf World is up in North Aberdeenshire, not in Fyfe.

Yeah, the Donald said he's going to build in the "Home of Golf" but he's taken that expression as to be 'somewhere in Scotland'.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:52 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Thanks everyone.
You've made it more than obvious this is a lovely idea, but totally impractical. Only the very rich and famous are able to own and live in more than one country, and we're not in that league at all.
So . . . is there NO ONE here in this forum who lives half-time in the US & half in the UK? It just won't work?

DH & I always had that dream, & some other expat couples I know have said they'd love to try it. Has anyone here *really* tried to do it?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
So . . . is there NO ONE here in this forum who lives half-time in the US & half in the UK? It just won't work?

?
May I ask why?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

DH & I always had that dream, & some other expat couples I know have said they'd love to try it. Has anyone here *really* tried to do it?
A friend's parents live 5 months in Malta and 7 months in the Cayman Islands but they are ridiculously wealthy, even so they just keep a small place in Malta due to costs - I tried to wangle a visit a couple of years ago but they said the only available space was in the barn with the horses!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Well...I live here in the US and also in Switzerland as my spouse is on an expat posting there. He was in Singapore before that.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it will work. But, there are certain things you have to put in place, plan ahead for, as several people have mentioned. In practical terms, important ones are that your homes need to be either flats in a development where you pay a monthly fee for common services (condominium or similar) and no garden, no pets, not even any house plants..! Or, you have family members or trusted friends nearby who can check on the property and water the house plants etc.

Then, you need to have a realistic financial plan in place that takes account of the extra cost of living in two countries, including the travel between etc.

There are other hurdles.. not least the tax consequences.. but those are surmountable, if you have the practicalities in place already.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well...I live here in the US and also in Switzerland as my spouse is on an expat posting there. He was in Singapore before that.
Would you say its incredibly beautiful in Switzerland?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:02 am

Smile Re: Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Would you say its incredibly beautiful in Switzerland?
Yes. Well it is where we are.....the flat is across the street from Lake Zug and we see the most incredible sunsets. There is a little park and beach just a 30 second walk from our condo - last Summer I was swimming in the lake and could sense something next to me.....it was one of the swans swimming beside me! There is also a bar/restaurant and the locals sail up in their yachts for a beer and a meal.

If I look out of the bedrooms we are facing a farm, cherry/apple orchards and the Zugerberg...we often see hang-gliders coming in to land on the field. However, if we have the patio doors or windows open in the Summer we can hear the constant sound of bells, either from the cows, goats, sheep or nearby church....I don't know why the farm animals have the desire to go wandering around at 3am but they do!

If we lean out of the bedroom windows and look to the right we can see Mount Rigi (southern Alps, about 30 mins drive away) .....and a few thousand yards away there is the largest psychiatric clinic in Switzerland, which looks like a palace lol!

You can see the local webcams during daylight hours:

http://www.zug-tourismus.ch/en/page.cfm/WebcamsZT

http://www.zug-tourismus.ch/en/welco...h#/welcome.cfm

The only downsides are that it is sooo expensive there, and personally I just can't understand Swiss German.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Your situation is a diferent as I presume your husband's company pick up the tab in Switzerland.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

My long term plan is to try and live part time in both countries. I have a 5 acre parcel in the redwoods which I intend to put a small cabin on , that should keep my expenses to a minimum in the U.S. I also plan to get a narrowboat in the UK , I've found a fairly cheap berth up in Manchester where I can keep it over the winter.

I estimate that my expenses should be under $1,000 dollars a month for both countries.

If I can get it together I would eventually like to get a small flat in the UK, but that takes more $$.

For now I will just keep working and saving.

So although I have yet to do it, I do believe it is possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.