Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Crikey

You're right, the healthcare here is a nightmare. When it goes right, it's great, but it's a minefield to negotiate, and even half the medical people get unstuck with all the different levels and coverages.

You've definitely given me food for thought - thanks for that.

Will go to sleep now and dream of sheep on rolling green hills, and a free healthcare system!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Is that the COBRA healthcare package? We'd be the same if that's the case, but 18 months later we would then have to pay for our healthcare ... or go home.

If we were on the same page we would make it work somehow, but he doesn't want to retire here.

Tough call eh. I'm glad it's worked out for you
When you leave a job, most people go on COBRA which is the same coverage as you had when he was working but you pay the group rate that the company pays. After 18 months, you lose COBRA and have to find individual plans on the open market. In 2014 the health care reform exchanges start and you then purchase insurance through that exchange and the price will be based on the price for a healthy person of your age and your income but will be subsidized by the government if your family income is less than 400% of the poverty level and will be paid 100% by the government if your family income is below 125% of the poverty level. The health care exchanges will be available to all US citizens and LPR's who do not have employer provided health insurance.

You can use the following calculator to determine the estimated cost of health insurance for you or your family in 2014. Unfortunately it only calculates the cost for an individual or a family of four based on your income and age but you can see what each costs and estimate the cost for a family of two.

http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyC...spx#calcParams
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey

You're right, the healthcare here is a nightmare. When it goes right, it's great, but it's a minefield to negotiate, and even half the medical people get unstuck with all the different levels and coverages.

You've definitely given me food for thought - thanks for that.

Will go to sleep now and dream of sheep on rolling green hills, and a free healthcare system!
I mentioned before that the upkeep of more than one home is expensive. You will need transport in both places...you will also have to keep the UK house heated during the winter months unless you turn off the water and drain all pipes and the radiators. You will also need to run the AC in Texas when you are in the UK. If you have a condo you will be paying condo fees for the 6 months of the year you're in the UK. There is also upkeep of the garden/swimming pool etc. Then there is insurance...very difficult to insure empty properties in the UK...don't know about Texas. Getting car insurance in the UK is difficult if you're not a UK resident...remember if you want to live in the US for a big chunk of the year...you are a US resident.

You really need someone who will keep an eye on your property when you are not there...and that can get tiresome for that person very quickly.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

texasjan is an unknown quantity at this point

How long does it take to become a USC?

There is so much more to this than just having a small property in both countries and popping over the pond once or twice a year

I'm sure there'd be many of us doing this if it were easy! Where in TX are you?
We are in Houston, been here nearly 2 years, like the people, like the climate - never imagined before we came that we would be thinking about staying
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
When you leave a job, most people go on COBRA which is the same coverage as you had when he was working but you pay the group rate that the company pays. After 18 months, you lose COBRA and have to find individual plans on the open market. In 2014 the health care reform exchanges start and you then purchase insurance through that exchange and the price will be based on the price for a healthy person of your age and your income but will be subsidized by the government if your family income is less than 400% of the poverty level and will be paid 100% by the government if your family income is below 125% of the poverty level. The health care exchanges will be available to all US citizens and LPR's who do not have employer provided health insurance.

You can use the following calculator to determine the estimated cost of health insurance for you or your family in 2014. Unfortunately it only calculates the cost for an individual or a family of four based on your income and age but you can see what each costs and estimate the cost for a family of two.

http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyC...spx#calcParams
wow what a neat description of the healthcare reform - never been able to make head or tail of it before. Thanks for that.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I mentioned before that the upkeep of more than one home is expensive. You will need transport in both places...you will also have to keep the UK house heated during the winter months unless you turn off the water and drain all pipes and the radiators. You will also need to run the AC in Texas when you are in the UK. If you have a condo you will be paying condo fees for the 6 months of the year you're in the UK. There is also upkeep of the garden/swimming pool etc. Then there is insurance...very difficult to insure empty properties in the UK...don't know about Texas. Getting car insurance in the UK is difficult if you're not a UK resident...remember if you want to live in the US for a big chunk of the year...you are a US resident.

You really need someone who will keep an eye on your property when you are not there...and that can get tiresome for that person very quickly.
It would work if we could find a house sharer - but they would have to be in the UK in winter and Texas in the summer. Know anyone that mad?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

5 years after you obtained your GC. You can apply 3 months prior to the 5 years.

We always thought we would return to the UK for retirement because of healthcare. Fortunately my husband took early retirement...which includes the same healthcare package as he had when he was working.

Having multiple properties that are empty for months on end is a headache...it is also very expensive.
The property situation is a headache for sure. We have a house in the UK but as I have posted on other sections the concept of going back for few months is great the practicalities are a pain.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 16 years but the UK will always be home. Sure the weather is the down side but it's the familiarity that draws us. When we go back it's as if we've never been away.

The black cloud that's always looming is healthcare costs. Even with good insurance cover a major illness can still cost a lot...and then there's the hassle of the bills. Before Christmas my husband had a nuclear heart test. When he went for the results the doctor had an emergency patient...so the nurse gave him the results. A few weeks later we received a bill for several hundred dollars because the nurse wasn't in network. We are still trying to sort it out. Goodness knows how you cope when you're elderly...have a serious illness and you get dozens and dozens of bills coming (half of which you don't understand).
Well, if you are elderly and you have Medicare Part A & Medicare Part B, and you have chosen wisely in selecting a Medicare Part D policy and a "Medigap" policy, and Medicare Supplemental Coverage, dozens of bills and EOBs etc come in, but they are all basically just statements, all payments will be taken care of by virtue of your various policies.

So the setup & selection of policies is a bit daunting and most seniors would be well advised to take professional advice selecting policies. However, once that is done you are all set. (Till each successive year rolls around, and the goalposts change.)
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I had to head back to the UK. I was miserable for a while, but I ended up living in St Andrews (with Prince Willy) and it was totally fantastic. In the end I was sad to leave when I achieved my goal of returning to the West Coast.

Point of my story is that a return to the UK, while traumatic, can be quite manageable if you are careful to move to a nice part.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Very accurate information on the UK side our place is insured with the Halifax and they must be informed in writing if it is empty for more than 60 days. They denied a claim for a burst pipe as we had not done that. After that the house must be inspected by an adult every two weeks. To keep are car is also a pain as people forget to start it etc so you spend a few days sorting that out.
Same for the garden you are in with a good shot of coming back to a jungle. We would love to spend more time in the UK / Europe the concept is great the execution is the problem.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Years ago I had to head back to the UK. I was miserable for a while, but I ended up living in St Andrews (with Prince Willy) and it was totally fantastic. In the end I was sad to leave when I achieved my goal of returning to the West Coast.

Point of my story is that a return to the UK, while traumatic, can be quite manageable if you are careful to move to a nice part.
Thanks for that! This is what I wanted to hear. I hope Donald Trump hasn't screwed up Saint Andrews. He probably has. He has made waves up there.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750240

That thread might be worth a look, for some of the tax/pension considerations that came up a couple days ago....though it's MA not TX.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You would have to be resident in the US and then visit UK.

Nice idea but a very expensive option.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You would have to be resident in the US and then visit UK.

Nice idea but a very expensive option.
Why couldn't you be resident in the UK?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why couldn't you be resident in the UK?
Lose the GC.

Sounds like they want to keep that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.