Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Old Mar 24th 2012, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living half here, half in the UK .. does anyone do this?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The system doesn't work that way... the US doesn't "take away" your status as you suggest. You, personally, either abandon your status or you don't. All the US does, is confirm whether or not you've abandoned your status... and in order to do that, you need to demonstrate that you have not, in fact, abandoned your status.

Everything to do with abandoning (or not) your status as a PR is something you, personally, have control over. If you chose to reside elsewhere, then you take the risk that you will be unable to demonstrate that you have not, in fact, abandoned your status should there ever be a question about it.

Ian
You can certainly be resident in more than one Country
Old Mar 24th 2012, 12:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can certainly be resident in more than one Country
Not if you've only got a greencard for the US though :/
Old Mar 24th 2012, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Exactly
Old Mar 24th 2012, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Verbascum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Exactly
Sorry you've lost me.

So:
One can be a resident of two countries
But not if one has only got a Green Card

"only"?

I have a UK passport and a US green card

What factor here might prevent me from being accepted as a UK resident eg for tax purposes?

I can't believe that obtaining US citizenship and a US passport would increase my chances of being allowed to claim UK residency - rather the opposite surely.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Verbascum
Sorry you've lost me.

So:
One can be a resident of two countries
But not if one has only got a Green Card

"only"?

I have a UK passport and a US green card

What factor here might prevent me from being accepted as a UK resident eg for tax purposes?

I can't believe that obtaining US citizenship and a US passport would increase my chances of being allowed to claim UK residency - rather the opposite surely.
Having a GC means you are a permanent resident of the US...not a part time resident.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

IanR is an unknown quantity at this point

Some thoughts.
If you have GC your are considered a US resident.
All the while you hold a GC you owe US Federal Taxes on your worldwide Income.
If you are not resident in a US State for more than 180 days you don't have to pay (usually) State Income taxes.
When entering the US you sometime will be asked "Where are you resident?" If you answer anything other than a US address you stand a significant chance of losing your GC.
If you are hoping for eventual US citizenship your excessive time outside of the US MUST be listed on your application and may invalidate your qualification for citizenship.
Re Medicare: You need 40 Quarters of payments to qualify.
Re US Social Security you also need minimun of 40 Quarters of payments to qualify.
I believe that there is a tenuos possibility to count certain UK SS payments to offset for a shortfall in the 40 Quaters in the USA> But this may change at any time.
As a GC holder if you skip on SS and Medicare payment this also may not be helpful to retaining the GC if your residency comes into question.

Last edited by IanR; Mar 24th 2012 at 9:24 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

IanR is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are getting a GC and are worried that you might not complete the full 5 years to become a citizen there is a way. When/if you go back to the UK apply for a formal period of abscence from the US. In other words you are saying that the USA will be your "home" long term and that your job requires a period overseas. Then return to the US and apply for citizenship as soon as your 5 years GC status is completed. Making sure that you spent MOST of those 5 years in the USA. Get the US citizenship and then you are free to live anywhere in the world. You will be liable for US Federal taxes always, but you will have free movement in and out of the USA and can return to retire at will.
As above you will need those 40 Quarters for Medicare and SS.

Then you could be tax resident in the UK (and still owe US taxes/offsets) get UK NH and SS and also get the US equivalent if you have those 40 Quarters. For US purposes you will be considered a US citizen living abroad. Several million US citizens do indeed retire overseas for family and other reasons.

I believe that UK "residency" is merely calculated on 2 things.
1) Are you legally allowed to live in the UK (iIf you have a full UK passport that answer is always Yes).
2) How many days in the year are you resident? (If you live more than 6 months a year in the UK I think you are then a "resident" and presumably you will have a UK adress and be making a UK tax return etc to prove it.

Last edited by IanR; Mar 24th 2012 at 9:44 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanR
If you answer anything other than a US address you stand a significant chance of losing your GC.
To clarify: "... of losing your PR status." The GC is merely proof of the status; it isn't the status itself.

When/if you go back to the UK apply for a formal period of abscence from the US. In other words you are saying that the USA will be your "home" long term and that your job requires a period overseas.
I suggest they do this only if the job actually requires a period of time overseas.

Ian
Old Mar 25th 2012, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
I disagree, so does Her Majesty's Revenue.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I disagree, so does Her Majesty's Revenue.
You're being pedantic.

If someone has a greencard and wishes to maintain US residency, they can only be resident in the US or risk losing the status.

Once they have US citizenship, they can bugger off to their hearts content and take up residence in as many places as they wish.

The UK obviously wouldn't give a toss either way if you meet the UK requirements for residency there, but I'm sure the OP does if they wish to maintain US residency too.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You're being pedantic.
Not really. He's pointing out that residency for US permanent residence purposes can be a very different beast from residency for tax purposes. One can be resident for tax purposes in the UK with very little actual residency - a pattern of "residency" of more than 90 days a year over a period of years iirc. Such a small amount of residency in UK would be unlikely to call one's residency in the US for permanent residency status to be called into question.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

How many definitions of residency are there in the US?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

wuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nice

So, I've read this whole thread, my UKC husband is freaking out about working in the US, healthcare in the US and we still want to know where we live when we do come back to the UK - holiday lets?

I became dual national in UK/US and had to jump through a lot of hoops, but I did it by following the rules and reading carefully, and paying a ****load of money to the UK government. Someone earlier asked is it just not possible to live in 2 countries - I go further and ask, in all seriousness, has no-one ever actually done this? It seems from here that lots of people want to, but are daunted by the tax, health, residency - anything. Does this mean that we're forging some kind of new living policy?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wuthering
So, I've read this whole thread, my UKC husband is freaking out about working in the US, healthcare in the US and we still want to know where we live when we do come back to the UK - holiday lets?

I became dual national in UK/US and had to jump through a lot of hoops, but I did it by following the rules and reading carefully, and paying a ****load of money to the UK government. Someone earlier asked is it just not possible to live in 2 countries - I go further and ask, in all seriousness, has no-one ever actually done this? It seems from here that lots of people want to, but are daunted by the tax, health, residency - anything. Does this mean that we're forging some kind of new living policy?
I am quite sure people have done this. Especially couples who are either both dual citizens (so they have the flexibility to travel back and forth at will) or couples who are old enough to get B-2 tourist visas, allowing them to spend up to 6 months a year in the USA. My guess is that if they can afford to do this, they have the funds to either own two properties (or they stay with relatives in one country or the other), and that they spend enough time in the UK to be on NHS, and can afford US healthcare for the time they spend in the USA.

If they are going on the B-2 visa, they have to have enough money so that not-working in the USA won't be a problem. If they are dual citizens, they can both work in either country with no problem (but I can't think of any employer who will let their employee have 6 months a year off every year!)

Rene