British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Living in Georgia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/living-georgia-470403/)

dh010447 Jul 31st 2007 12:42 pm

Living in Georgia

Hi All,

I am due to be moving to my company's Atlanta office in September. Just wondered if any of you lot live in Georgia, or indeed Atlanta.

Company's office is in Norcross and I have been looking at Roswell and Alpharetta as possible places to live as its close to the office and has MARTA connections - but I have no idea what they are like.

If anyone can recommend these places, or any other places - or can suggest places that I should avoid, I would be greatfull for your thoughts...

rincewind Jul 31st 2007 1:13 pm

Re: Living in Georgia

Before Bob jumps on here and accuses me of living in Atlanta, I'm 2 hours east in Augusta.

There are a number of members in the Atlanta area that will be able to help.

As for Georgia as a State, it's okay. But the further South you go, the further back in time you go too :D

cindyabs Jul 31st 2007 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5129169)
Before Bob jumps on here and accuses me of living in Atlanta, I'm 2 hours east in Augusta.

As for Georgia as a State, it's okay. But the further South you go, the further back in time you go too :D

Well yeah, since "Slowvannah" was the first English settlement. :D

southern comfort Jul 31st 2007 1:33 pm

True ....back to a more gracious time sigh........:)

Mallory Jul 31st 2007 1:55 pm

I lived in Atlanta (Marietta) for 5 years, and really enjoyed it. Roswell and Alpharetta are both nice. Roswell has a little more character, with some older housing. Alpharetta is a little more of a new area, but still nice. If you travel on hwy 400, don't get too far away from it, because the am/pm traffic will be a snarl. A hint for ATL - live as close to work as you can, while living in a nice area. Alpharetta is probably a bit more kid friendly than Roswell. I personally like Roswell though.

miss scouse atl Jul 31st 2007 2:38 pm

Alpharetta and Roswell are both nice. I lived in Roswell before moving to where I am now and always liked it.

Will you be buying or renting?

Mallory Jul 31st 2007 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by southern comfort (Post 5129238)
True ....back to a more gracious time sigh........:)

Mint Juleps on the rocking chair porch!

Bob Jul 31st 2007 3:05 pm

Hey, it's got an A in it :p

rincewind Jul 31st 2007 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5129540)
Hey, it's got an A in it :p

I'll give you that :D

Triumphrob Jul 31st 2007 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by dh010447 (Post 5129060)
Hi All,

I am due to be moving to my company's Atlanta office in September. Just wondered if any of you lot live in Georgia, or indeed Atlanta.

Company's office is in Norcross and I have been looking at Roswell and Alpharetta as possible places to live as its close to the office and has MARTA connections - but I have no idea what they are like.

If anyone can recommend these places, or any other places - or can suggest places that I should avoid, I would be greatfull for your thoughts...

Norcross has a British store called Taste of Britain.
I like Roswell, there is some nice subdivisions near Harrys Market (which also sells British Food) and is near Wills Park which is a nice place to visit.
There is also a great British meet up group who could help you at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/expatbritsinatlanta/

southern comfort Jul 31st 2007 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 5129511)
Mint Juleps on the rocking chair porch!

and not a FFS mentioned:rofl:

Dogbyte Jul 31st 2007 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 5129230)
Well yeah, since "Slowvannah" was the first English settlement. :D

And a lovely place it is too,and the 'people' aren't bad either !!

southern comfort Jul 31st 2007 7:01 pm

Go as far south as you can in Georgia and find the rarified air of "The Cloister" Sea Island http://www.seaisland.com/ Now thats really going backwards if you can afford it:eek::rofl:

rincewind Jul 31st 2007 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by southern comfort (Post 5130384)
Go as far south as you can in Georgia and find the rarified air of "The Cloister" Sea Island http://www.seaisland.com/ Now thats really going backwards if you can afford it:eek::rofl:

Funny, I thought Stokesville was as far south as you could go in Georgia.

southern comfort Jul 31st 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5130482)
Funny, I thought Stokesville was as far south as you could go in Georgia.

depends if its coastal south