Reload this Page >

Living Costs in Oklahoma City

Living Costs in Oklahoma City

Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

AFK_Matrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living Costs in Oklahoma City

Hi,

I am hoping to move to Oklahoma City in the future and am just wondering if anyone on here knows or could point me to a website where I can find out the living costs of Oklahoma city compared to living here in Surrey UK.

If possible I would like to know what kind of salary you think would be needed to be able to live comfortably, pay the bills etc? Am I looking at $15,000, $20000, $30000 or more?

Thanks
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs in Oklahoma City

Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix
Hi,

I am hoping to move to Oklahoma City in the future and am just wondering if anyone on here knows or could point me to a website where I can find out the living costs of Oklahoma city compared to living here in Surrey UK.

If possible I would like to know what kind of salary you think would be needed to be able to live comfortably, pay the bills etc? Am I looking at $15,000, $20000, $30000 or more?

Thanks
$15000 is virtually poverty ...
Some people manage on $25k other struggle on $500K

Are you going to work or what ....
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Are you going to work or what ....
and are you a US citizen? Or what visa had the OP in mind? Bit pointless if they can't make it in...
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Sorry should have put more info. I am currently talking to a company in Oklahoma City who are willing to go through the H1B process with me. I am just wondering whether the salary they have offered will be good enough to live on as its around $30,000 odd.

Just wondering how it compares as in the UK i used to be on £30,000 so what with the currency that $30,000 is around half my UK salary. But I know its not as simple as that as US living costs are different.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry should have put more info. I am currently talking to a company in Oklahoma City who are willing to go through the H1B process with me. I am just wondering whether the salary they have offered will be good enough to live on as its around $30,000 odd.

Just wondering how it compares as in the UK i used to be on £30,000 so what with the currency that $30,000 is around half my UK salary. But I know its not as simple as that as US living costs are different.
Be a long wait, they couldn't apply till next April for an Oct start, that's if you won the lottery for the visa as they are gone within a day and there were loads of applications for the small number of slots...so good luck with it

Oh, you didn't say if you were married or had kids...that'll affect things a fair chunk...that and spouse wouldn't be allowed to work on the spouse H4 visa.

$30K is pretty crap tbh...but then cost of living down there is a fair bit less than in other parts of the city, but I can't imagine you'd have much left over if you bought a house and had car with medical insurance and other insurance and costs etc.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Your kidding ...you want double that at least ...
and full medical insurance
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Yeah I know about applying in April then having to wait till October if I am lucky enough to get a H1B. The company is working with an attorney and I am in contact with him also.

I am single so it will just be me and I am going to rent for probably a year just to get a feel for the place etc. I belive I do get medical Insurance but will look into that closely. I should after working for them for a while and getting proficient be on $40,000 but I also will get 10% of the projects I work on also so there is scope for earning more. I was just curious is all, thanks for all your help.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:34 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Living costs can be lower, but unlike in (much of) Surrey, you are really going to want private medical insurance and (I would imagine in OKC) a car, both of which can firking expensive. Car insurance alone could be a couple of grand - check recent posts on that for more info.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:53 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know about applying in April then having to wait till October if I am lucky enough to get a H1B. The company is working with an attorney and I am in contact with him also.

I am single so it will just be me and I am going to rent for probably a year just to get a feel for the place etc. I belive I do get medical Insurance but will look into that closely. I should after working for them for a while and getting proficient be on $40,000 but I also will get 10% of the projects I work on also so there is scope for earning more. I was just curious is all, thanks for all your help.
As an H1B you are totally at the mercy of your sponsoring employer. Any employer offering such a crappy salary for a "highly skilled worker" would ring alarm bells for me.

Also, an H1B employer has to show that they are paying at least the national average salary for the role in which you would be employed (or is it the state average? I forget).

What kind of skilled job requires an H1B employee, but only pays $30k?

Bear in mind that in bad cases, an employer who habitually uses H1B workers is actually doing so to pay lower wages than they would need to pay for an equivalent US employee. While I think this isn't nearly as common as the anti-immigration crowd would have us believe, I do know that it used to be relatively common to hire Indian computer programmers at low salaries relative to US programmers, back in the days before companies simply outsourced the programming jobs direct to India!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:55 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and you need to look at the whole package. You'd need a generous relocation package/starting bonus, written assurance that the company will sponsor you for a Green Card at some stage, "affordable" healthcare coverage...

None of which sounds likely in this case.

Just for reference, as a highly skilled H1B visa holder when I arrived 5 years ago, I took a 30% pay raise to move over, plus an additional 20% bonus to cover my relocation.

Last edited by dbj1000; Jan 9th 2008 at 12:57 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your input dbj1000. It is only a small 4 man company so I don't know if that makes a difference. So you would say I need to be looking at around $60,000 + the 10% of projects?

I do appreciate the advice and will also bring up the Green card issue with them.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:31 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input dbj1000. It is only a small 4 man company so I don't know if that makes a difference. So you would say I need to be looking at around $60,000 + the 10% of projects?

I do appreciate the advice and will also bring up the Green card issue with them.
Abso-bloody-lutley you need atleast $60 k a year, I agree with dbj. $30k a year is chicken scratch even if its Oklahomo. You would be thoughly miserable on that.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can ague about the cost of living, but if you do just a straight conversion of your UK requirements for such a position, you will not be far of.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

...I belive I do get medical Insurance but will look into that closely...
look very closely, see what is covered, what your premiums will be, what the deductibles are, the co-pays, what prescriptions are covered and the rates, if it's an HMO or PPO and see about dental coverage as that'll be expensive without it.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bob I will do that, is there a website or something that details what would be a good health plan would be? I have obviously not experience with this being from the UK so some of it I don't understand.

Well I have also asked about the average salary for my kind of work on a forum dedicated to 3D modeling work and it seems the US average is around $50,000.

Well i am having a chat with them tonight so will bring up some of what you have mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.