Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in California, without Curry Sauce.

Living in California, without Curry Sauce.

Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:14 am
Just Joined

ketm87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in California, without Curry Sauce.

Right, I've been on this board 45mins and I've seen bags of people asking about passports, visas, immigration, jobs, housing, so on and so forth.

But lets get down to brass tacks here.

Where do I get a decent "chinese" curry sauce in California, like the ones in Glasgow? ; -)

Much appreciated. Before I starve to death!! hehe
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in California, without Curry Sauce.

Originally Posted by ketm87
Right, I've been on this board 45mins and I've seen bags of people asking about passports, visas, immigration, jobs, housing, so on and so forth.

Where do I get a decent "chinese" curry sauce in California, like the ones in Glasgow? ; -)

Not looked myself for that particular condiment but I would suspect you need to find an Asian mini mart.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Yeah, I have read many tales of experimentation with various brands. I'm hoping somewhere, somehow someone has worked it out. A good friend of mine found some 'Japanese Curry blocks' at an Asian market close to her, which were very nice, almost the same, but still different enough to force me to continue the search...
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Best I have been able to do was World Market, and have my Mum post packets of the instant stuff.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Closest I've found is "Golden Curry" from Walmart. Comes in mild and medium hot flavours, but it might be the one you've already found, as it too is described as Japanese and comes in a block.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Find an asian grocery store, they'll have them in there. I found some pataks in Target. Or you could make your own which is what we do.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:58 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Find an asian grocery store, they'll have them in there. I found some pataks in Target. Or you could make your own which is what we do.
Yep, I'm another +1 for making it yourself. I've introduced the wife to curry - she hated it before, now if we don't have a balti at least once a week she thinks the world is going to stop!

I now have a craving for the aforementioned Glasgow 'Chinese' curry. Spent 4 very memorable years in Glasgow doing my degree consuming copious amounts of the stuff!!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

PeterWithesShin is an unknown quantity at this point

make your own ! I use this , pretty close too the chip shop stuff.

1 Tablespoon Curry powder
2 TBLs Oil
2 tbls Plain flour
1 pint water
1 Tablespoon Tom purée
Lemon juice
Salt and pepper
honey too taste
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I have read many tales of experimentation with various brands. I'm hoping somewhere, somehow someone has worked it out. A good friend of mine found some 'Japanese Curry blocks' at an Asian market close to her, which were very nice, almost the same, but still different enough to force me to continue the search...
This one is Japanese but allegedly stocks Chinese stuff. If you've never been to such a shop, I recommend giving it a try. There's all sorts of stuff that is often significantly cheaper - and better - than the regular supermarkets. My favorite is the Thai curry paste that comes in small tubs, all natural ingredients, costs about 10c per serving, and lasts for months.

http://menlopark.patch.com/listings/...riental-market

Even if they don't have what you want, if you know the brand name then most places are happy to order it for you. But it might take some time depending where they have to source it from.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your local Brit shop
http://www.yousaytomato.biz/
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Try here:
http://www.99ranch.com/index.php

There is one in Mountain View and at least two in Cupertino near you.
Much of the stuff is not labeled in English and just looks too dodgy for me to know if I should be eating it or wiping my bottom with it but it has a pretty wide selection and I bet you could find Chinese curry.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

S&B curry sauce from Amazon is pretty good. My husband prefers that over takeaway curry.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That Japanese stuff is pretty good....but you can also get Bistro chip shop curry sauce in a few places...

Well worth making it yourself though, think there was a simple recipe in the massive recipe thread, though can't remember, but there's a index of recipes in that thread to look over.

Welcome to BE though, and great first post
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I'm just going to have to try them all! .. I will report back with my findings. cheers
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

jennarandhayes is an unknown quantity at this point

I 2nd Jackattack's recommendations for Ranch 99, it's the only place to get authentic asian food. You can find things there that no one else carries. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.