Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in California, is it expensive?

Living in California, is it expensive?

Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:54 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in California, is it expensive?

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
LA is a great big freeway

Put a hundred down and buy a car
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sambuc
Put a hundred down and buy a car
In a week, maybe 2 they'll make you a star
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

Everybody comes to Hollywood
They wanna make it in the neighborhood
They like the smell of it in Hollywood
How could it hurt you when it looks so good

Thought that song was stupid till I came here.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

even rents arent exactly cheap. I was paying $1500/month for a one bedroom place. It was what I would call minimum standard (which is pretty high cos I am a snob ) I woudl say it just about compared with what I was used to in London. It was cheaper but in a cappy ghetto area.. and not that much cheaper.
Rental properties here are generally horrible. Whereas in London whilst expensive, now everyone has ripped out the crappy carpet, put in a modern ikea type kitchen and painted everything neutral fresh colours, here its still nasty carpet, crappy construction, those nasty bobbly ceilings, and frankly hideous kitchens. I really felt the level of decoration to be far lower here than in London. Though its partly a taste thing, LA is still very very seventies.
I guess nobody ever cooks here because the kitchens are invariably awful with some ancient rickety old stove tucked away in a corner, the sink and chopping areas on the other side of the room.. likewise bathrooms are nasty nasty nasty!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by angelman
even rents arent exactly cheap. I was paying $1500/month for a one bedroom place. It was what I would call minimum standard (which is pretty high cos I am a snob ) I woudl say it just about compared with what I was used to in London. It was cheaper but in a cappy ghetto area.. and not that much cheaper.
Rental properties here are generally horrible. Whereas in London whilst expensive, now everyone has ripped out the crappy carpet, put in a modern ikea type kitchen and painted everything neutral fresh colours, here its still nasty carpet, crappy construction, those nasty bobbly ceilings, and frankly hideous kitchens. I really felt the level of decoration to be far lower here than in London. Though its partly a taste thing, LA is still very very seventies.
I guess nobody ever cooks here because the kitchens are invariably awful with some ancient rickety old stove tucked away in a corner, the sink and chopping areas on the other side of the room.. likewise bathrooms are nasty nasty nasty!
There are plenty of 50's cookers around!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
Rental properties here are generally horrible.
Lots of rental complexes are horrible.A preferable option is to rent an apartment that's not in a rental complex, or a single family house. No guarantee of niceness, of course, but the odds of finding something reasonable are higher.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shock, but in fairness bricks and mortar would be no good for earthquakes.

The prices in LA are incredible, and in the LA school district you have to go through an exhaustive process for Magnet schools or pay privately - approx $15,000 PA although I believe it is tax-deductible. We are further out, still in LA County but a separate school district. Prices for a very ordinary "tract" house start at about $800,000 around here.
Private school fees are not tax deductible...neither are college fees. $15K per yr may get your child through kindergarten but you'll need to double that figure for high school. Also add to that several $K's for extras....and those charitable donations....would you believe they post a list of all the students on the school wall stating how much each family has given. Then they make a big fancy brochure listing all donations and mail it out.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 25th 2006 at 5:14 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think with all the encouraging information about LA the OP has been scared off! :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Private school fees are not tax deductible...neither are college fees. $15K per yr may get your child through kindergarten but you'll need to double that figure for high school. Also add to that several $K's for extras....and those charitable donations....would you believe they post a list of all the students on the school wall stating how much each family has given. Then they make a big fancy brochure listing all donations and mail it out.
Actually, depending on your income, you can get a tax credit for some college fees. Additionally, there are tax-advantaged savings plans (529 plans, Education IRAs) that can be used for college fees (and in the case of the former, I believe, private school fees?).
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Actually, depending on your income, you can get a tax credit for some college fees. Additionally, there are tax-advantaged savings plans (529 plans, Education IRAs) that can be used for college fees (and in the case of the former, I believe, private school fees?).
The income limit is probably less than the fees.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The income limit is probably less than the fees.
Hehe. With three in college this fall, I see your point
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:13 pm

Esquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond repute

yes it is, don't come the bathrooms are shit
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Esquimaux
yes it is, don't come the bathrooms are shit
and there's no NHS
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:16 am

Esquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond repute

and there's no NHS
thats what flights home are for
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Esquimaux
thats what flights home are for
I want me pension - I fought in 2 world wars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.