Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in California

Living in California

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Suzanne46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in California

Hi, my husband and I are thinking about moving to California with our 18 month old son. We both have a good education (he is the one with the masters although I earn a lot more!) Just wanted some feedback on brits that have moved there and their experiences and any advice, good places to live, education, cost of living etc.....

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in California

Originally Posted by Suzanne46
thinking about moving to California
Pie in the sky till you do your research.

Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

After you've worked out the way you're coming, you can worry about where to find a good curry.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Suzanne46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the URL - had already seen it - my post was a bit of research in a way!
Anyone else?

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the URL - had already seen it - my post was a bit of research in a way!
Anyone else?

Thanks
Well if you'd seen the post, you'd have given us a clue to how you were coming. For example, if your husband has his masters in marine biology and is applying to work at Sea World, then folks would tell you about San Diego. If he's an IT person, then we're in Silicon Valley. But if there really isn't a hope in hell of either of you coming and it's something you dreamed up reading the colour supplements in the Sunday papers over eggs and beans and reminiscing over a US fly-drive holiday, then it's a fantasy journey to nowhere.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:13 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my husband and I are thinking about moving to California with our 18 month old son. We both have a good education (he is the one with the masters although I earn a lot more!) Just wanted some feedback on brits that have moved there and their experiences and any advice, good places to live, education, cost of living etc.....

Thanks
Don't bother unless you will be making about $120K - $150K minimum combined income.
Northern or Southern California?
Southern California stay close to the coast for good areas and schools.
i.e Beverley Hills, Santa Monica, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Torrance etc. The drawback is houses in these neighborhoods start at around $1M .
Vacation time: 1 week a year after completion of first year of service, plus bank holidays. Maybe you'll get lucky and negotiate 2 weeks.
Experiences, definitely up and down over the last 20 years, but that's life. Don't even mention high fructose corn syrup & healthcare.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Aug 3rd 2008 at 5:17 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

If you let us know what job you may be pursuing, and what locations you may be considering, that would help, as fatbrit said. It is a BIG place!

The three big major metropolitan areas - San Diego, LA, and Bay Area - each have their attractions and issues, and there's not much point telling you why San Diego is best if the job is likely to be in SF (and vice-versa).
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:29 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else?

Thanks
Like everyone else, I'll ask you - what visa do you think you'll be eligible for? Once you've sorted out the visa, the rest will follow. Until you do that, it's pointless discussing other aspects of the move.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else?

Thanks
Don't take it personally it's just we get asked these questions nearly every day and after spending time writing about where to live, schools, jobs, etc then the original poster often says 'oh yea, I don't have a visa, is that a problem?' It gets a bit old which is why people are asking (telling) you that if you haven't figured out a visa on that link then there really isn't much more worth saying.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:54 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well if you'd seen the post, you'd have given us a clue to how you were coming. For example, if your husband has his masters in marine biology and is applying to work at Sea World, then folks would tell you about San Diego. If he's an IT person, then we're in Silicon Valley. But if there really isn't a hope in hell of either of you coming and it's something you dreamed up reading the colour supplements in the Sunday papers over eggs and beans and reminiscing over a US fly-drive holiday, then it's a fantasy journey to nowhere.
Hmmmm...... eggs and beans.....

Is there proper toast too?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So what visa is it? Or one of you a USC already?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:14 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I moved there...spent 20 years there..then left to raise a family in Maine. In my opinion SoCal was not the place for them. Takes all sorts though.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Well said!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

pippermint is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
I live in CA and I do not agree at all that you need to make a ton of money to live here. As I see it England is WAY more expensive. Ive seen my house value drop $120,000 in 2 years. You can buy a 2000 square foot home in my area for around $350,000 now. I think CA is a very easy place to live. At least in Central or Northern CA. Just don't live in So Cal or San Francisco and youd be fine.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippermint
I live in CA and I do not agree at all that you need to make a ton of money to live here. As I see it England is WAY more expensive. Ive seen my house value drop $120,000 in 2 years. You can buy a 2000 square foot home in my area for around $350,000 now. I think CA is a very easy place to live. At least in Central or Northern CA. Just don't live in So Cal or San Francisco and youd be fine.
So do you live in Fresno........... or Bakersfield?

I suppose there's always Stockton or Yuba City...

Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:02 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippermint
Just curious where you are and what you do for a living? Most people moving would be looking for work in the major metro areas of SF & LA. That's where the jobs are for the majority, which go hand in hand with high real estate, traffic etc. etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.