Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in CA, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

Living in CA, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Jakov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in CA, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

Hi All,

A bit of an obscure topic but I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out if it's possible to apply for a business visa to travel to India using the UK Indian consular services while living in the US?

I am currently resident in California on an L1B visa, and need to travel to India for business. I will make this trip via a 2 week visit back home to the UK. Time is a bit tight before I fly to the UK, so it would be great for me if I can book a walk-in appointment at the UK Indian consulate for shortly after I land. Assuming there are no complications this should allow enough time to turn-around the visa in the UK before I need to fly off again directly to India.

I understand for a business visa to India I need to be invited by the company I will be visiting. This should be no problem. I also believe I need to submit a letter from my own company explaining why I am visiting. Again, this isn't a problem although I'm not sure whether I should submit from the US (Inc.) or UK side (Ltd.) of the company I work for (the company is split between the two countries, hence the L1 US visa).

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jakov
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:17 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in CA, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

I'd try reposting this question in the India forum.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in CA, travelling to India, possible to apply for a visa in the UK?

My husband has travelled to India on business several times. His US company applied for his visa within the US.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:49 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
My husband has travelled to India on business several times. His US company applied for his visa within the US.
Right, but the OP's question is "Are you required to apply in the US if you live in the US?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:44 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the answer, but I've heard from a couple of friends recently who were denied visas to India because they applied at the wrong embassy / consulate within the USA. There are rules!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Right, but the OP's question is "Are you required to apply in the US if you live in the US?
My point is...his company should be handling it on his behalf.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is here on L1 and his passport has to go back to the UK to get an Indian visa, but he hasn't gone in person. Maybe if you are LPRs it can be processed here?