Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in Boston for 4 months - where to go?

Living in Boston for 4 months - where to go?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough
Default Living in Boston for 4 months - where to go?

Hi all,

My partner and I will be moving to the US early next year and reading the posts on this forum has been a really useful source of advice and info, so thank you!

I'm hoping that you might be able to help me out with a more specific question. Although we will be settling in Seattle long-term, for the first 4 months we will be based in Boston, due to my partner's work.

I will probably still be spending extended periods of time (4-6 weeks at a stretch) in the UK tying up lose ends, so my partner will be alone in the city quite a lot. Unfortunately his employer doesn't have an office on the East coast so he'll be working from home without much face-to-face interaction with colleagues.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good neighbourhoods for us to rent in? I have looked through some of the previous posts but the advice seems to be geared around where there are good schools, etc. We are in our v. early 30's with no kids and currently live in a reasonably central part of London. I think we'll probably be able to spend between $2,000 - $2,500 a month on rent, but I doubt we'll get a car until we get to Seattle, so would need to have good transport links and ideally be within an hour of the airport.

Most importantly, I don't want my partner to be stuck out in the sticks somewhere getting bored when I'm not around to keep him company.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be v. gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

BostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living in Boston for 4 months - where to go?

You should be able to find a decent 1 bedroom apartment for 2-2.5K down town, Boston is a great city and due to the transit system everything is close, I live 20 miles west in the "burbs" having looked at places in the city, but then saw the horrendous traffic(I left the UK in 03, having lived in Montreal and Ft lauderdale), Boston is a great city so try looking behing the Newbury Street area, or near the SeaPort district (although these could be pricey) but there could be some nice condos a few blocks back. Craigslist has alot of good choices so check that out.........I have a few freinds in Seattle so maybe able to offer some insight there....I do know it rains alot due to the pacific.....but its a very happening city.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Within an hour of Logan and public transport would put you in the whole gamut out as far as Newton on the Greenline with the Riverside T stop, but ideally, you'd want to avoid the greenline, it's a bit pants.

Jamaica Plains is a fun area and with that kind of cash you'll be in the nice part, it's on the Orange line, also has the commuter rail as well as the T and it's within minutes of downtown.

Brookline is also quite fun and a nice place to get around for young folks, same with Cambridge.

Your real problem though, most places will want a 12 month contract, at the very minimum a 6 month lease to see them through the winter, so you are going to have to either be very lucky and finding one without a lease, find a sub let, or pay way through the nose and ultimately not have such a nicer gaff. The winter months also make it harder to find a place, but you don't say how early in the new year you plan to be over.

Definitely don't buy a car though if you do live down town, it'll be a money pit, you'll get something shite or something that'll get shite pretty quick and parking downtown is horridly expensive, easily running you a couple hundred or more a month if the place doesn't have its own parking, so zipcar will probably do.

Most malls have papers full of rentals as well, but craigslist is probably your best bet, especially if you want to find a place that doesn't have a realtor fee, because downtown, that's going to be expensive.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fashionista
Hi all,

My partner and I will be moving to the US early next year and reading the posts on this forum has been a really useful source of advice and info, so thank you!

I'm hoping that you might be able to help me out with a more specific question. Although we will be settling in Seattle long-term, for the first 4 months we will be based in Boston, due to my partner's work.

I will probably still be spending extended periods of time (4-6 weeks at a stretch) in the UK tying up lose ends, so my partner will be alone in the city quite a lot. Unfortunately his employer doesn't have an office on the East coast so he'll be working from home without much face-to-face interaction with colleagues.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good neighbourhoods for us to rent in? I have looked through some of the previous posts but the advice seems to be geared around where there are good schools, etc. We are in our v. early 30's with no kids and currently live in a reasonably central part of London. I think we'll probably be able to spend between $2,000 - $2,500 a month on rent, but I doubt we'll get a car until we get to Seattle, so would need to have good transport links and ideally be within an hour of the airport.

Most importantly, I don't want my partner to be stuck out in the sticks somewhere getting bored when I'm not around to keep him company.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be v. gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!!
You keep mentioning partner...I presume you will be getting married before you move here so you can obtain a spousal visa.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to be in Boston for only 4 months, then don't rent an apartment with a lease. You will have to buy yourself out of the lease when you move to Seattle.

Look for an extended stay hotel or a furnished corporate apartment for your four month stay.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice! Jamaica Plains looks nice - I like all the parks.

Yes - we'll definitely be looking for a short-term let where all the amenities are included so we don't have to worry about buying out of a lease / contracts. And yes - I'll be on an L2 visa by the time we come to move across.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:47 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob's advice is pretty good. I would avoid Back Bay as it's pretty touristy, expensive and not as good a place to live as other areas. In addition to Bob's suggestions, I'd also look at the North End (more neighborhoody, historically Italian), Kenmore Square / Fens (slightly more arty / bohemian), and Charlestown which is a brief hop across the river and filled with character (cobblestone streets, gaslamps etc). Then of course there's Cambridge...

Boston's a great place to live, I lived there for years.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

dvalentine is an unknown quantity at this point

I was stuck in Woburn when I first came over (10 years ago) - I got my arse moved in to Boston as soon as I could - the suburbs are no good without a car. Anywhere in the BackBay, Southend or Northend would be great - Cambridge is pretty good too - but be careful since some bits are pretty difficult with out a car - Porter Sq/Harvard Sq/Central Sq are fine since they are on the Red line subway. Somerville works also - in the Davis Sq area - on the Red Line so easy to get into Boston but with its own restaurants/bars. I'm not sure which places would have short term leases - they are not too common in the 'nice' places.
I live in Malden now, affordable housing and walking distance to the Orange line subway but for a short term I would prefer to be in town.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fashionista
Thanks for the advice! Jamaica Plains looks nice - I like all the parks.

Yes - we'll definitely be looking for a short-term let where all the amenities are included so we don't have to worry about buying out of a lease / contracts. And yes - I'll be on an L2 visa by the time we come to move across.
Getting the utilities chucked in won't happen unless it's a flat share or corporate housing, or you getting a sub let off someone. Of which, you'll probably find more of those in the student areas, but personally, I'd not live in a student area, but Allston/Brighton area are pretty busy but have some nice places.

Fenway is a fun area for a short stay, lot of stuff going on, but it's a mare during game day and parking isn't going to happen, but you might be able to find a sub let out there, especially as Northeastern Uni is around the corner. Have cousins living in a nice apartment out there, near the ball park, but they're paying $3.5K a month and I've taken shits bigger than their apartment and the building gets broken into all the time.

Basically, have a look at google maps street view, around the T stop areas from the MBTA website to get an idea of places to check out, redline is personally the most convenient, but orange is great too, avoid the green line and you'll be all set.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the advice all! I've managed to find a few agencies that do corporate rentals which include utilities, etc. They're a bit more expensive than standard rentals, so we're seeing if we can persuade the company to contribute as it's their fault that we're going to have to take a short-term let.

Avoiding the green line - which, amusingly, is also the rubbish tube line in London!