Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

living on a boat in Chicagoland

living on a boat in Chicagoland

Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:42 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living on a boat in Chicagoland

I know of someone that does that here in Boston - but only for the summer. In the winter he flies south.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
Aluminum hulls are becoming common in new build narrowboats, google Sea Otter, if you want to find out.
But my understanding is that aluminum does not have the strength to be used in a larger hull, it twists too easily. I think the maximum aluminum boat length is around 50 feet, whereas a typical Dutch barge houseboat is 70 x 12 feet minimum.

Many Dutch boats are old hulls, 100 years or more, but they are so solid that they easily convert into fantastic homes, outliving much younger conventional houses. (I'm thinking of UK council houses from the 1960s that are now being demolished and replaced.) Hulls that have worked their entire life hauling coal and other freight, and even made it through a couple of world wars then leave the Netherlands for conversion into homes. I seriously doubt if fiberglass has that kind of lifespan.
Anyway, I seem to have hijacked my own thread, I guess the answer is no to mooring a 'real' houseboat in the US!
Aluminum hulls have been around for as long as fiberglass in boat building due to it's light weight and durability but normally fiberglass wins out due to it's low cost and normally does not require reinforcement for rough seas. However once a boat gets to a certain size and weight, fiberglass could possibly shatter under it's own weight and a hard hit by another object. Wood can also been used as a building material for fishing boats, tugboats, and houseboats since it is light, flexible, and can take a hard beating without breaking or bending.

Apparently because the Navy does not fear attacks by torpedos and aircraft as much as previous wars, it is now building warships made of aluminum hulls but due to possible cracks that can occur in aluminium, the ships are being built as triple hulls designs instead of the more standard single hull designs in steel hull ships.

Aluminum is often used to build high-speed ferries and similar vessels, but it is a new material for the Navy, which has long relied on steel-hulled ships.

"It's hard to understand how the Navy could consider selecting a design that it says it doesn't understand very well," said defense analyst Loren Thompson of the Virginia-based Lexington Institute.

Austal's three-hulled aluminum warship is competing with Lockheed Martin Corp's (LMT.N) more traditional steel mono-hull ship, for over $5 billion in orders for 10 more additional LCS ships. Bids are due on April 12, and the Navy is expected to pick a single winner by July.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...13314120100316

Last edited by Michael; Sep 21st 2011 at 5:06 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Michael
Aluminum hulls have been around for as long as fiberglass in boat building due to it's light weight and durability but normally fiberglass wins out due to it's low cost and normally does not require reinforcement for rough seas. However once a boat gets to a certain size and weight, fiberglass could possibly shatter under it's own weight and a hard hit by another object.
I still like my steel hull.
People in little fiberglass boats tent to get out of the way when I blast through with 70 foot of steel. Its fun.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:04 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no no no no noooo!! Please don't live on a houseboat here in the Midwest! It's far too cold in our hard winters, and the rivers literally freeze up.

Try somewhere warmer, or compromise and spend only the summer months on the water.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:12 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

As has been stated.

No.

In winter there are really no small craft on the lakes.

This is a picture of the beach in winter, yes, the beach, with 3 feet of solid ice. Imagine what the rivers get like!

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:11 am
Banned

The Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant futureThe Grey Area has a brilliant future

It's an utterly ridiculous idea