Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living around Houston

Living around Houston

Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

raithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Living around Houston

Anyone have any comments on the Clear Lake City area of Houston. Seems to be quite close to where I have been offered a job and the schools seem OK.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living around Houston

IT IS NOT SHIT.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
IT IS NOT SHIT.
ish

To the OP...start out by doing a search for Houston as there are hundreds of threads on the city, bound to be something relevant in some of them for you.
http://www.greatschools.org/ and city-data.com for a start.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

We've lived in the Clear Lake area of Houston since we moved here - about 5 years ago. We chose the area because it is an easy commute for my husband into work, the school district has an excellent reputation, and we also liked the fact that the residential areas are divided into subdivisions - each with a neighbourhood pool and park which makes it easy to socialize and for the children to make friends. There are a good range of shops and restaurants locally and Galveston Beach is only a 30min drive away. Downtown attractions like the zoo and museum district are 25-30mins away too.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

raithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the rough

Bob - I did do a search and there was absolutely nothing on Clear Lakes that I could find. Plenty on Katy though!

Redglade - Thank you very much for your comments. Sounds like it is a quite good area. Nice to see someone take the time and go into a bit of detail!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:24 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
IT IS NOT SHIT.
Well I thought that your input was the most relevant of the bunch...
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Check City-Data Forum (Houston). It's the best place to check for specific areas.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
We've lived in the Clear Lake area of Houston since we moved here - about 5 years ago. We chose the area because it is an easy commute for my husband into work, the school district has an excellent reputation, and we also liked the fact that the residential areas are divided into subdivisions - each with a neighbourhood pool and park which makes it easy to socialize and for the children to make friends. There are a good range of shops and restaurants locally and Galveston Beach is only a 30min drive away. Downtown attractions like the zoo and museum district are 25-30mins away too.

....and with NASA downsizing there will probably be lots of bargains on houses for sale and also probably a lot up for rent!

I used to go to the Baybrooke area a lot when we first moved here (long time ago) as Baybrooke Mall was THE place to go and shop according to my then young teen kids!

Clear Lake is still a nice area, and far enough out of downtown Houston to make it feel like a fairly small community.

Good luck to the OP!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Well I thought that your input was the most relevant of the bunch...