British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Living in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/living-america-592952/)

LukeY Feb 21st 2009 10:56 am

Living in America

Is it possible to live in america (rent a place and get a part-time or full-time job) without having to apply for US citizenship?

yorkieuk Feb 21st 2009 11:05 am

Re: Living in America

As was explained in other thread, you need a visa to work and live in the US unless you are a US citizen.

In your other thread you were also given links to the various types of visas to see if any of them are available to you.

Without a visa (or being a US citizen) it is illegal to work and live in the US.

LukeY Feb 21st 2009 11:15 am

Right thanks, but its allowed in Canada isnt it? As you have to have lived there for 2 years to be able to apply for citizenship.

yorkieuk Feb 21st 2009 11:39 am

You also need a visa to go and work in Canada unless you are a Canadian citizen.

Example- my brother is a dual Uk/US citizen so he is able to go and live and work in Canada freely. His g/f however is just a UK citizen and she needed a visa to be able to do the same.

In many countries visas can lead the way to citizenship.

Example-the US- The key here is to get a visa that leads to a green card. Once you have the green card so long as you meet the residence requirements you can apply for citizenship after 5 years (unless it is a marriage based green card which is 3 years).

Basically there is no quick or easy way to US citizenship (unless of course you may have a parent who is a USC). So before thinking about citizenship in any country, nevermind the US, you should first be looking at visas.

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by yorkieuk (Post 7307490)
You also need a visa to go and work in Canada unless you are a Canadian citizen.

Example- my brother is a dual Uk/US citizen so he is able to go and live and work in Canada freely. His g/f however is just a UK citizen and she needed a visa to be able to do the same.

In many countries visas can lead the way to citizenship.

Example-the US- The key here is to get a visa that leads to a green card. Once you have the green card so long as you meet the residence requirements you can apply for citizenship after 5 years (unless it is a marriage based green card which is 3 years).

Basically there is no quick or easy way to US citizenship (unless of course you may have a parent who is a USC). So before thinking about citizenship in any country, nevermind the US, you should first be looking at visas.

That's strange because my daughter is a UK/US citizen and she needed work visa to work in Canada. She will also need to apply for residency if she wants to live there on a permanent basis. The only reason she was allowed a 3 year work visa is because she attended a Canadian university for 5 years. :confused:

yorkieuk Feb 21st 2009 2:38 pm

Sorry typo! He was born in Canada to british parents! We moved back to UK when he was 3 but now he's moved back over there.

So I meant he's a joint canadian/UK citizen not US/UK!

yorkieuk Feb 21st 2009 2:43 pm

Oh
And his g/f was able to join him bcos she had just graduated uni in the UK and they do some sort of year work visa thing for UK citizens apparently if you are a certain age group.

She is now applying for residency based on being a common law partner of a Canadian citizen.

NC Penguin Feb 21st 2009 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by LukeY (Post 7307401)
Is it possible to live in america (rent a place and get a part-time or full-time job) without having to apply for US citizenship?

Read this BE Wiki article on how to live and work in the USA:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you have any further questions about US immigration issues, please post in the appropriate US immigration forum.

I am closing this thread.