Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's cool. Much easier if they are not too far away.
Yes, I'd like him to live away from home for the character-buildingness, but without the expense of flights.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Yes, I'd like him to live away from home for the character-buildingness, but without the expense of flights.
Yes, that's ideal.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I think Spanish is pretty useful here, and will become ever more so.
Undoubtedly so, it's by far the most useful second language, but my son's going to do French as his HS language credit requirement. We established in Switzerland that he's NOT a natural linguist, and he has no interest in doing anything other than the two years box ticking required. Two years of beginner Spanish aged 14-16 wouldn't get him past ordering coffee and talking about his hobbies, whereas the school is jumping him up a year in French, so he'll do French 2 and 3 - the hope is that taking the higher classes and the layering effect of dredging up his previous, now-departed fluency, will at least leave him with a functional second language!

If he needs Spanish in future, it's quite an easy skip from French; I find with fluent French that I can read Spanish and get 70% of it despite not knowing any Spanish whatsoever. If I actually learned the conjugation endings, the pronouns and the prepositions - you know, all the little high-frequency words - I could probably get it even higher for very little study.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think Spanish is pretty useful here, and will become ever more so.
That or Portuguese....very handy on the east coast at least.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Undoubtedly so, it's by far the most useful second language, but my son's going to do French as his HS language credit requirement. We established in Switzerland that he's NOT a natural linguist, and he has no interest in doing anything other than the two years box ticking required. Two years of beginner Spanish aged 14-16 wouldn't get him past ordering coffee and talking about his hobbies, whereas the school is jumping him up a year in French, so he'll do French 2 and 3 - the hope is that taking the higher classes and the layering effect of dredging up his previous, now-departed fluency, will at least leave him with a functional second language!

If he needs Spanish in future, it's quite an easy skip from French; I find with fluent French that I can read Spanish and get 70% of it despite not knowing any Spanish whatsoever. If I actually learned the conjugation endings, the pronouns and the prepositions - you know, all the little high-frequency words - I could probably get it even higher for very little study.
Mine both took French in high school. To say they are not natural linguists would be something of an understatement. Despite getting good grades they consistently get the simplest French words that come up in everyday life totally wrong, and consider having an authentic accent "showing off".

I have a bit of rusty Spanish but not good enough to talk to the tradesmen, which would be a major plus. Just laziness I suppose that I didn't work on it while here.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
That or Portuguese....very handy on the east coast at least.
Doesn't seem to be common "westside".
Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Marry an American girl.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:28 pm
Banned

Golden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
Marry an American girl.
I concur, get on social media and look for a vulnerable 18 year old girl who's rebelling against her parents..Be truthful with her and she'll marry you for a few years just to get out of her house.

Thanks for getting us back on topic Judes
Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
I concur, get on social media and look for a vulnerable 18 year old girl who's rebelling against her parents..Be truthful with her and she'll marry you for a few years just to get out of her house.
And I'm sure she would be in a perfect position to fulfill the financial support requirements necessary to import an overseas fiance . . . .
Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that much actually. Shame her Parents to co sponsor?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

, get on social media and look for a vulnerable 18 year old girl who's rebelling against her parents..Be truthful with her and she'll marry you for a few years just to get out of her house.
....or why wait...once she's served your purpose "eat her liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti"...., why not?

Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

You are constantly reminded of your status in the U.K.. Everyday in every way. People around you will let you know right away, and in no uncertain terms when they think they are on a higher level than you..
How so? Can you give examples please?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:43 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon

You all were outraged that Caino thought America was a better place to live- If an American said "I want to live in the U.K. because its so much better!" 99.99% of Americans would reply "Thats great have fun!"

They wouldn't try to talk him out of it, tell him to try Spain instead, or look for deep psychological disorders to explain his insanity...They just wouldn't

Lets look in the mirror here friends
Just curious, how long have you lived in the USA?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, Here are two articles on (different aspects of) living here, they're old, but I still like them.

NY and the twang of knicker elastic:
I ♥ NY but will a New Yorker fall in love with me? | Travel | The Observer

How Americans would like to live
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/op...ooks.html?_r=0
Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
How so? Can you give examples please?
I can give you one example. When I lived in Geneva, the group I hung around with were the British, Australians, Americans, and Irish with an occasional Swiss and French. The group was really great and it was the best time of my life but there was one British girl named "Annie" that was a problem.

Annie lived with Devi who was an Irish girl in a 300 sq foot apartment in the hooker district of Geneva. Annie was a secretary and Devi was a beautician but Annie was born and bred in Wimbledon and she made sure everyone knew that. When I met Annie, she had a long distance relationship with a Dutch guy who had the class that she was looking for but whenever he came to Geneva to see her, she couldn't wait for him to leave.

To Annie, Americans were the same class as southern Europeans but she gave the British girls the hardest time constantly putting them down.

Eventually Annie started dating an Australian guy called Sab who was an executive and I started dating an English girl called Eve. Eve knew how to play the role of the upper English class even though her father was a milkman and her mother lived in council housing. Eve was a real nice person and didn't put anyone down but Annie once said "Eve scares me" and I suspect that was because Annie perceived Eve to be a better class than her.

Everybody liked Sab and we hung around with Sab and Annie with mostly just tolerating Annie. We all got engaged about the same time and planned our weddings in England. However Annie had a problem since Sab had to ask her father for her hand in marriage and the Australians weren't highly regarded in her household. So Annie trained Sab what to say when they went to England and when Sab asked her father for her hand in marriage, all there was only silence in return.

One night we had Sab and Annie over for dinner and at the end of the evening, Annie went into a rant accusing Eve of something. Eve remained calm and tried to find out what she was talking about but Annie just kept ranting and her and Sab left. When Sab and Annie got married in England, we weren't invited but since were didn't know what the rant was about, we invited them but they didn't come to our wedding. Eventually we socialized again but never with Sab and Annie only and Annie's rant was never brought up.

I suspect Annie is an exception especially for expatriates since all the others tried to fit in and nobody else put anyone down or created issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.