Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Live in US, need a UK phone number for family members to call?

Live in US, need a UK phone number for family members to call?

Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

fishyfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live in US, need a UK phone number for family members to call?

A recent family illness for a family member in the UK means I'll need to receive calls on a regular basis from the UK and I'm finding my relatives caregivers, therapists, doctors ect are reluctant to call me overseas as I only have a US phone number. I need a UK number as it is very important that I make it as easy as possible on them to contact me.

I use OOMA (internet VOIP) for my phone system in the US. Is there anything similar I can buy in the UK and bring back with me here in the US?

Alternatively, can I buy a pay as you go mobile when I'm in the UK and bring it back with me to the US - if so, any advice on the cheapest mobile /network to use for incoming calls as I would use my normal phone service to return the call back to the UK.

Whatever service, equipment I get, it will need to have a voice mail capability as I find that due to the time difference, I'll be getting calls in the middle of the night / when I'm teaching, and other times when I'm not available.

Thanks for any advice...

Last edited by fishyfish; Nov 26th 2012 at 12:23 am. Reason: correction
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live in US, need a UK phone number for family members to call?

I use Skype for that purpose. You can get a UK number which automatically calls me on Skype, which then redirects to my cellphone if I'm not near a computer.
I also have all my UK relations on a local US number, also arranged through Skype. Means I can call them from a cell or land line using a US number which goes straight to their number in the UK. Works beautifully.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hardware: obi110
Service provider: Callcentric

Problem solved.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Vonage will sell you a VOIP adapter with two numbers for incoming calls, one UK one US. The VOIP adapter can travel with you. But there is still only one outgoing number (i.e. caller ID at the other end will show USA even if you are physically in England) unless you pay for two full lines at considerable extra cost.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread/sticky on here about five years ago, where you could get an individual 0845 type of number. The UK caller phoned your 0845 (cost approx 2-5p a minute) and the call automatically went through to the one number set to receive it. eg US cell phone
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:10 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Skype in number is easy enough. Run Skype on your smartphone or forward the uk number to a us number. Quite easy
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

wilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nicewilba1234 is just really nice

If you and your family members have Iphone or android phones you can use viber its free you can also send free texts
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I've use Skype for the "reverse" process for the last few years before moving to the US and I wouldn't hesitate do use it to get a UK number if I needed one.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fishyfish
A recent family illness for a family member in the UK means I'll need to receive calls on a regular basis from the UK and I'm finding my relatives caregivers, therapists, doctors ect are reluctant to call me overseas as I only have a US phone number. I need a UK number as it is very important that I make it as easy as possible on them to contact me.

I use OOMA (internet VOIP) for my phone system in the US. Is there anything similar I can buy in the UK and bring back with me here in the US?

Alternatively, can I buy a pay as you go mobile when I'm in the UK and bring it back with me to the US - if so, any advice on the cheapest mobile /network to use for incoming calls as I would use my normal phone service to return the call back to the UK.

Whatever service, equipment I get, it will need to have a voice mail capability as I find that due to the time difference, I'll be getting calls in the middle of the night / when I'm teaching, and other times when I'm not available.

Thanks for any advice...
Tell your relatives to get an account with www.18185.co.uk Cheap calling to the US from UK: think it's 1p per minute to landlines and 0.5 p per minute to mobiles (check the latest rates).
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
Tell your relatives to get an account with www.18185.co.uk Cheap calling to the US from UK: think it's 1p per minute to landlines and 0.5 p per minute to mobiles (check the latest rates).
Which is handy for the relatives, but less so for the doctors etc.

Skype is probably the easiest/cheapest option, with a UK number.

If any other voip is being used like Vonage, spend the bit extra to get a UK number.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If any other voip is being used like Vonage, spend the bit extra to get a UK number.
Vonage is too mainstream to be competitive these days. Plus the hardware is dedicated.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

The other advantage of Skype is that you can put the client on your Smartphone and (depending on the network) get the calls routed to wherever you are in a manner that is transparent for the caller.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:56 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
The other advantage of Skype is that you can put the client on your Smartphone and (depending on the network) get the calls routed to wherever you are in a manner that is transparent for the caller.
Ditto Callcentric and Google Voice.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

http://dmclub.net/

I have used these people for years. I have one of their 07-K number ('world mobile' number).
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
http://dmclub.net/

I have used these people for years. I have one of their 07-K number ('world mobile' number).
+1.

I used to have an 0845 number with dmclub, which forwards to your US number. No extra numbers to dial or additional plans to subscribe to.