Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Live Brit Radio - driving to work

Wikiposts

Live Brit Radio - driving to work

Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:33 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Live Brit Radio - driving to work

I have finally cracked it. For 2 weeks now I have had one of the new Verizon / Audiovox xv6600 cell phones with unlimited internet. It ain't cheap but then it's a PDA (virtually a PC) and lots of other things to.

ANywhere I go, including the car, I can listen to any radio station from the UK that broadcasts live over the internet. (Heart, Chiltern, LBC, Capital). Since I amin the area of Atanta, I get full bandwidth (you only need 20-50k anyway).

I have done this at home like many for some time now but I left my house this morning playing London's heart radio, it worked the entire 14 miles, worked in the elevator and is working now sitting at my desk.

I drove from Atlanta to Florida for SPring break and it worked 85% of the way (500+ miles)

I have satellite radio as well but UK radio is better than that mostly too.....

Thought I'd keep you informed.....
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:21 am

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Live Brit Radio - driving to work

Bump - anyone else tried this ?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:26 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
I personally cannot think of any reason I would want to hear
those channels...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a pricey option isn't it? But at least you have the option, big city and all that...bugger all out there in the boonies up here....
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry -- I'm too cheap! When I need the net away from home, I usually steal somebody else's WiFi signal. It's not much good for streaming media on the move, but I've watched TV while eating my sarnies in the parking lot before now. It's incredible how many there are these days, and also how many are not locked or secured. In a built up area, never takes more than 10 minutes or so to locate a suitable donor -- I find apartment complexes are the best hunting grounds.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:20 am

Very pricey I agree but I have this for work anyway so to me it's free
Old Apr 16th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually prefer the US channels - you get the genre you want to listen to all on a dedicated channel. I hate all those idiots in the UK like Mark and Lard who just jabber nonsense all day (I swear they must be the number one casue of road rage in the UK!), play popular chart music and cut in on songs with "witty" (shite) comments. I guess the Chiltern sort of channels are a bit of an improvement over R1 but I always found it difficult to find one with what you wanted to listen to, just the same repeats of the top 20 over and over again.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 10:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I actually prefer the US channels - you get the genre you want to listen to all on a dedicated channel. I hate all those idiots in the UK like Mark and Lard who just jabber nonsense all day (I swear they must be the number one casue of road rage in the UK!), play popular chart music and cut in on songs with "witty" (shite) comments. I guess the Chiltern sort of channels are a bit of an improvement over R1 but I always found it difficult to find one with what you wanted to listen to, just the same repeats of the top 20 over and over again.
play lists are pretty shite over here too...and there all nearly owned by clearwater, which is shite...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
play lists are pretty shite over here too...and there all nearly owned by clearwater, which is shite...
Isn't it Clear channel?.

There are plenty of good stations here I've found. But as usual Bob, its all shite right.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Isn't it Clear channel?.

There are plenty of good stations here I've found. But as usual Bob, its all shite right.
could be clear channel...well being shite, they are, but then there's only a handful of channels in maine, and you can only really get them in the cities, they fade out pretty quick otherwise...and there mostly country, or golden oldies....there's only one channel with modern stuff and that playlist repeats after about 15 songs and they repeat them day in for a month before replacing them....so yeah....really shite.

Lot of the loggers have to get saterlite radio because there isn't any reception in the counties, but I don't have saterlite radio.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... but UK radio is better than that mostly too .....
UK radio was cr@p - I rarely found anything worth listening to, which is mostly why I had over 600 CDs when I left Britain, most of which I rarely listen to now that I have access to US radio stations!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:05 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I personally cannot think of any reason I would want to hear
those channels...
Obviously you dont have the crap we have in Atlanta then. I think 96 rock owns only 3 CD's , or is it 4?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 3:27 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Obviously you dont have the crap we have in Atlanta then. I think 96 rock owns only 3 CD's , or is it 4?
No sh*t! We used to have some great radio stations; now we're down to about two. Radio Free Santa Fe was great until they decided to 'go back to their roots', clearly forgetting there was a reason they had moved on from that. Then there was Albuquerque's 104.1 "World Class Rock". Lame title, but great station that you could get all the way from ABQ to southern Colorado - about 3.5 hours of driving. Then one morning it mutated into "Mega 104.1 Latino and Proud".
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I recently read an article in Rolling Stone that said that rock radio is dead on its ass in America, because the stations are all switching to Hip Hop and Latino music. I think the article said that there are now no rock stations in Philly.

I personally listen to a bit of everything, but I have the radio set to the Zone in the mornings because they have Howard Stern on and on the way home, they play a good mix of rock and alternative stuff.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:52 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I recently read an article in Rolling Stone that said that rock radio is dead on its ass in America, because the stations are all switching to Hip Hop and Latino music.
The official line from Clear Channel was that although World Class Rock was profitable, there was more potential in the 'hurban' format.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.