Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 4:10 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

OMG!!!!

Has anyone else gone on the comments page on the live link on AOL - Someone wrote this

"These niger's murder and butcher our white girls and you want to celebrate it? God created AIDS to get rid of the evildoers! niger's need to hang!! There nothing but animals!!
Comment from cokinny - 7/2/05 11:00 AM"

Do you beleive it? At least the first 3 letters of his name are right, what an ignorant twat, doesn't he know God created AIDS to get rid of puffs!*

http://journals.aol.com/live8london/...n/entries/1125

*For those with an Irony deficiency - that was a joke.

Last edited by Patrick; Jul 2nd 2005 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 4:40 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Most of the performers in London seem to be old-timers who had their heyday 20 years ago...there is a lot of criticism that they're all 'Bob's mates'.
Many of the 'old timers' performing in London performed at Live Aid 20 years ago, and are still making new music and selling records today and touring today and are brilliant live. Who cares how they got on the Live 8 list, they're good performers who are playing for free for a cause they believe in. Tons of younger acts are also performing, some of whom were in nappies when Live Aid happened. There is a broad spectrum of perfomers all over the world, which means there's something there for everyone. If that's what grabs the attention and helps get the message across then how it all comes together is irrelevant.

I'm not being critical of your post, this is probably not your own view and maybe you're referring to criticism you've read somewhere, just saying that the emphasis should be on what is right with the event, not what is wrong with it.

Last edited by bookemjano; Jul 2nd 2005 at 4:44 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Patrick
OMG!!!!

Do you beleive it? At least the first 3 letters of his name are right, what an ignorant twat, doesn't he know God created AIDS to get rid of puffs!*

*For those with an Irony deficiency - that was a joke.
classic!!
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
she told me it was free! How can that be? How can you put on a free concert to raise money? It would be nice to see Stevie Wonder though - that guys a legend. I bet the atmosphere is London is mega.
Unlike Live Aid, this is not to raise money, today they don't want your cash, it's your attention they are after and your signature on one of the petitions going to the G8.

I am not sure if the concert in Philly is being funded in the same way as the London show but in the UK if you wanted to get tickets to the concert you entered a text competition, it was one pound fifty pence per text, you could enter as many times as you liked and the winners were chosen at random, each winner getting two tickets.

The money from the text messages is funding the concert.

You can sign the petitions here:

One

Global Petition

It is more political than Live Aid because they are looking for a political response, a political solution, and yes, many people might just be watching for the bands, and many people might not see the benefit of signing up, but some of the people watching will be moved by the films, and perhaps some of them will get off their arses and get more involved.

It really doesn't take a lot of effort to sign a petition, or wear a wristband, or tell a few friends about the number of children dying every day around the world because of poverty and ask them to sign up too, and really, change has to start somewhere and this is exactly the kind of thing that gets the ball rolling and draws attention to the problems.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Unlike Live Aid, this is not to raise money, today they don't want your cash, it's your attention they are after and your signature on one of the petitions going to the G8.

I am not sure if the concert in Philly is being funded in the same way as the London show but in the UK if you wanted to get tickets to the concert you entered a text competition, it was one pound fifty pence per text, you could enter as many times as you liked and the winners were chosen at random, each winner getting two tickets.

The money from the text messages is funding the concert.

You can sign the petitions here:

One

Global Petition

It is more political than Live Aid because they are looking for a political response, a political solution, and yes, many people might just be watching for the bands, and many people might not see the benefit of signing up, but some of the people watching will be moved by the films, and perhaps some of them will get off their arses and get more involved.

It really doesn't take a lot of effort to sign a petition, or wear a wristband, or tell a few friends about the number of children dying every day around the world because of poverty and ask them to sign up too, and really, change has to start somewhere and this is exactly the kind of thing that gets the ball rolling and draws attention to the problems.

Well said snorkmaiden - karma coming whizzing to ya !
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

I don't know how much of the concert you guys are actually getting over there, but watching here in UK is fantastic. I remember the Live Aid concert so well and it is really good to watch my girls hooked on this one too.
And there is the slightest chance that it may do some good, huh? We can only live in hope! Certainly the young people seem to be well on board.......
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britnyank
I don't know how much of the concert you guys are actually getting over there, but watching here in UK is fantastic. I remember the Live Aid concert so well and it is really good to watch my girls hooked on this one too.
And there is the slightest chance that it may do some good, huh? We can only live in hope! Certainly the young people seem to be well on board.......
Hi britnyank
Here in Oklahoma on-line all is loud and clear from every venue. Cable TV has Philly live too.

I've been mesmerised in front of the computer ever since I got up this morning. LOL! Occasionally it brings a tear to the eye! Soppy, I know
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:10 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Robbie Williams doing "We will Rock You" is a crime, I mean did any of you just see the Pratt?
Rob
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:37 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Robbie Williams doing "We will Rock You" is a crime, I mean did any of you just see the Pratt?
Rob
I was just thinking Robbie injected a bit of life back into things....gotta love the cheeky chappie!

Ok, I confess....I dragged out a Take That Greatest Hits cd the other day so my bad case of nostalgia blocked my ears.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Hands up those who are only watching to see the bands and don't really care for the message Geldof and friends are trying to send?. Virtual hand up here.

After reading how most of the original live aid money actually ended up prolonging the troubles in that area, I doubt this is going to have much of an effect either with all the corrupt governments in Africa. I work with someone from Ethiopia, and he didn't even know that people were starving 20 minutes down the road until he left the country, because the state run news services kept all that information from them.
You have made a notable point here.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Rob

Awww - I thought he did a great job! Livened thing up and got the crowd going better than anyone since Madonna's performance. You've got to admit he's a real showman!
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

Well so far, my vote for the best performances goes to Madonna (swear words again ;-) and Pink Floyd.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who missed the earlier sets AOL have just started streaming the London gig again, U2 on stage at the moment.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Well so far, my vote for the best performances goes to Madonna (swear words again ;-) and Pink Floyd.

For me it was Ricky Gervais being made (by the audience) to do his dance from The Office.......superb!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 1:42 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

The American coverage of Live 8 was beyond embarrassing. How dare we think we are so self important that we show only limited coverage, and that mainly our shows, when the rest of the world shows it all.
And cutting of Pink Floyd and others just to tell us how good it is.
I suggest we sent Emails to VH1 (as many have)
Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.