Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:56 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

I don't know if most of you fellow expats regularly check the UK media online to see what's happening in the UK (eg. newspapers, internet radio, satellite radio for the BBC World Service, BBC/Sky/ITN websites etc.) but there is a huge amount of coverage for Bob Geldof's latest event, the 'Live 8' concerts taking place around the world this coming weekend.

I've barely heard a thing about it in the media over here. The US 'Live 8' concert is taking place in Philadelphia (approx 2 hrs driving distance from NYC) but press coverage seems to be extremely muted.

Is anyone going?

I've seen the list of performers for Philly but they seem to mostly be 'middle of the road' acts....no-one really exciting:

http://www.live8live.com/theconcerts/index.shtml

Most of the performers in London seem to be old-timers who had their heyday 20 years ago...there is a lot of criticism that they're all 'Bob's mates'.

It's such a pity that most of the African countries are run by despots and dictators....and that nut Robert Mugabe has destroyed once self-sufficient Zimbabwe and now the people there are starving. Africa's problems will never be solved whilst there is so much corruption there....to be honest I don't know what will be achieved by the G8 Summit in Edinburgh...
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:23 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live 8 (or Live Aid 2005)

Live 8 will be worth seeing, if only for the Pink Floyd reunion. There are a few good acts playing it though, and VH1 is showing it over here so it should be interesting to see. I can tell you right now though that VH1's coverage of the event won't be a patch on the BBC's.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Living in the Philadelphia news area there is a lot of media coverage about Live8. No doubt the coverage will get unbearable by the end of the week and then it will be mentioned constantly for the following 2 weeks. The local news presenters all seem overly excited by the whole thing.

I can't understand why it's being held on the Ben Franklin Parkway and not in one of the big stadiums in the area. It's going to be absolute chaos on Saturday for the residents of Philly and surrounding areas.

My husband did mention that he wouldn't mind going but being July 4th weekend too we decided to give it a miss.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandpete
Living in the Philadelphia news area there is a lot of media coverage about Live8. No doubt the coverage will get unbearable by the end of the week and then it will be mentioned constantly for the following 2 weeks. The local news presenters all seem overly excited by the whole thing.

I can't understand why it's being held on the Ben Franklin Parkway and not in one of the big stadiums in the area. It's going to be absolute chaos on Saturday for the residents of Philly and surrounding areas.

My husband did mention that he wouldn't mind going but being July 4th weekend too we decided to give it a miss.
I know what you mean about the local news getting over excited about the concert. I live in the same news area and cannot understand why anyone would get that excited over the prospect of seeing Will Smith or the Dave Matthews Band perform.

Just goes to show that not much happens here. They are now saying that over a million are expected to show up, but that there is only room for about 400,000 on the parkway.

Think we will just watch the European concerts from home with a few beers instead.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:40 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Live 8 will be worth seeing, if only for the Pink Floyd reunion. There are a few good acts playing it though, and VH1 is showing it over here so it should be interesting to see. I can tell you right now though that VH1's coverage of the event won't be a patch on the BBC's.
I agree, I have been hoping and praying that Pink Floyd would tour just one more time. I have looked on the web and can't see if anyone is televizing the London show, Are VH1 covering it live?? If so what time does it start? I was hoping that the BBC would cover it and show it over here. My guess unless VH1 show the whole thing they will single out the US groups.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

The AOL music site is going to be covering the concert live apparently. I'll watch it online if it's not available on the telly, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Scissor Sisters, The Killers and U2. I was so in love with Bono back in 1985 when he performed at the first live aid.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:49 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
I agree, I have been hoping and praying that Pink Floyd would tour just one more time. I have looked on the web and can't see if anyone is televizing the London show, Are VH1 covering it live?? If so what time does it start? I was hoping that the BBC would cover it and show it over here. My guess unless VH1 show the whole thing they will single out the US groups.
Judging from when VH1's coverage starts, it looks like they'll be concentrating on the US show (big surprise!!!).
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:18 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

To me it seems wrong that Status Quo havnt been invited to start the show again!!
Classic moment in 1985 IMOP
Rob
Old Jun 29th 2005, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point

VH1 and MTV are starting their coverage at noon eastern until 8pm and are supposed to be showing highlights of all the other concerts excluding Philly. Then ABC are supposed to be showing the Philly show live from 8pm alongside AOL's coverage.

Of course that still means they can just show all the shite they want out of the acts performing.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Any bets we end up seeing the same performances repeated over and over
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:18 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Crap!!!! I was hoping that the London event would be televized in it's entirety in high def. lololol I guess we will have to put up with selected groups and the US ones shown over and over again. Looking at the Philly line up it didn't strike me as all that good. Maybe I am just too old to know who some of these bands are. lolol
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who is up already (8am central) Live 8 London is just starting and is available online from AOL I'm getting it from the UK site but I believe it is available from the American site as well.

Paul McCartney is kicking things off with a rendition of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - U2 are performing with him.

Watch Online Now

Running Order

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Jul 2nd 2005 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Hands up those who are only watching to see the bands and don't really care for the message Geldof and friends are trying to send?. Virtual hand up here.

After reading how most of the original live aid money actually ended up prolonging the troubles in that area, I doubt this is going to have much of an effect either with all the corrupt governments in Africa. I work with someone from Ethiopia, and he didn't even know that people were starving 20 minutes down the road until he left the country, because the state run news services kept all that information from them.

Last edited by Pimpbot; Jul 2nd 2005 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 2:51 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Hands up those who are only watching to see the bands and don't really care for the message Geldof and friends are trying to send?. Virtual hand up here.

After reading how most of the original live aid money actually ended up prolonging the troubles in that area, I doubt this is going to have much of an effect either with all the corrupt governments in Africa. I work with someone from Ethiopia, and he didn't even know that people were staving 20 minutes down the road until he left the country, because the state run news services kept all that information from them.
My hands up!! and so far watching it on AOL, it really is a self indulgent pile of shite.
Rob
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 3:03 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
My hands up!! and so far watching it on AOL, it really is a self indulgent pile of shite.
Rob

Yeah I know what you mean but I think its better than doing nothing at all isn't it?Africa is in a total mess and if the money they raise from this goes to buy just medicine and schoolbooks then I'll be happy that it happened. I live in PA and someone from my gym is driving the 4 hours down to Philly to watch it - she told me it was free! How can that be? How can you put on a free concert to raise money? It would be nice to see Stevie Wonder though - that guys a legend. I bet the atmosphere is London is mega.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.