British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   A little tip when looking for domestic flights. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/little-tip-when-looking-domestic-flights-431849/)

Patrick Hasler Mar 3rd 2007 3:54 am

A little tip when looking for domestic flights.

When we flew back from the UK in Jan I had to fly the very next day to Atlanta from Albany NY. Kate searched through various sites and airlines for direct flights but the few there were ranged in the $700-$900 one way ! One for $750 invoved changing planes in NYC before flying on to Atlanta. The only direct flight that next day was nearly $800 on Delta. The guy who owns the truck sugested a flight to Charlotte NC and he would drive up and collect me. Kate got me booked on the only flight to Charlotte and low and behold I had to change planes in Atlanta leaving Albany on the very same flight that was $800 direct, we got the Charlotte flight for $215 !!!!... I just took a carry on and when we landed at Atlanta I just walked out and cancelled the onward leg............... What a rip off :mad:

SHOP AROUND !

Bob Mar 3rd 2007 9:25 pm

Re: A little tip when looking for domestic flights.

Jet Blue, Spirit Airlines and kayak.com are great for finding deals....Spirit is very a no thrills, but for short hops, there really good, but tend to not be in the big airports...

Deedee13 Mar 3rd 2007 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4478659)
Jet Blue, Spirit Airlines and kayak.com are great for finding deals....Spirit is very a no thrills, but for short hops, there really good, but tend to not be in the big airports...

Jet Blue? Is that the airline where u see a lot of the TARMAC? Just asking? oops.

Bob Mar 3rd 2007 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4478723)
Jet Blue? Is that the airline where u see a lot of the TARMAC? Just asking? oops.

Depends on where your flying to...and there getting a lot of slack, but there the only one's compensating anyone about the bad weather, hardly their fault really.

UKgirl Mar 4th 2007 1:36 pm

You can also buy a round trip and not use the return. Make sure you use the first segment or the other one will not be valid.
Usually a round trip will be cheaper than a one way. There is always room for creativity. That was my job for 10 years and I never got bored of it.

Rete Mar 4th 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4478659)

I got a great deal on Orbitz this week. I wanted to fly to New Orleans the 2nd of April for a week. Jetblue wanted $299 for the 1/2 half and $149 for the second. Got round trip on Delta at $192 with taxes came to $223. Not the first time that JB has pulled the much higher price and it is my airline of choice. They do have some travel promo deals that aren't bad.

Patrick have you thought of leaving from the airport in Burlington, VT? My in-laws drive in from Canada and fly out from there. They usually get good flights and you are not that far from Burlington.

Bob Mar 4th 2007 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 4480660)
I got a great deal on Orbitz this week. I wanted to fly to New Orleans the 2nd of April for a week. Jetblue wanted $299 for the 1/2 half and $149 for the second. Got round trip on Delta at $192 with taxes came to $223. Not the first time that JB has pulled the much higher price and it is my airline of choice. They do have some travel promo deals that aren't bad.

Aye, have to shop around....I'm just use to the blinkered view, because there was sod all choice of air lines when up in Maine :lol: