Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Little things that surprised you about America

Little things that surprised you about America

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski
I have difficulty getting my wife to park just once when we go shopping and then walk to each store. We usually seem to drive around the parking lot parking near each store in turn.
You won't catch me doing this. My step dad wanted to drive me to Albertsons from TGI Fridays in Fort Worth. Its at the other end of the ROW of cars! I said "I'll be OK" LOL. That said, though, parking lots are dangerous places for cars and even worse for pedestrians!
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
In last weeks Sunday Paper, the extra magazine had a National Geographical Geography Quiz. They are trying to promote a greater knowledge of the rest of the world.
With questions like.....
Which country is the Taj Mahal in? it's hardly surprising that I came out as a Geographical Genius!! I'm curious as to how the rest of the country did.
Why don't you post the questions, I'd love to try them out on a certain 21 year old ......and my beloved, and Granny for that matter!
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

catswhiskers is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there'd be a lot of Brits unable to answer those questions - you only have to watch game shows to see how thick the average Brit is.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Are we who choose to go through the immigration process THICK??
I think NOT!!

Let's have the questions please!!
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

catswhiskers is an unknown quantity at this point

I never said that but judging by some of the questions some could be. However, I was talking about the average British person compared to the average American when asked where the Taj Mahal was.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:12 am
Just Joined

shakermaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: List

"3) 'Proud to be an American' stickers on Toyota's."

That is really funny. Not to mention the "America stay alert - Remember Pearl Harbor" stickers on Subarus.

Originally posted by Dara
The following observations spring to mind:

1) Obsession with white teeth.

2) The standard of driving.

3) 'Proud to be an American' stickers on Toyota's.

4) News coverage - don't blink.

5) T.V censorship. Ok to show animals getting mutilated or the 'Exorcist' during the day, but one may not curse. Well, not unless you have a machine gun.

6) Every other word is 'like'. For example, he is 'like' 7 or 'like' 8 years old!! How can one be 'like' 7 or 8????

7) Employees at supermarkets counting thousands of dollars in front of you while they cash up. Top security!!!

8) Criticism of English food when your contribution is the hamburger!

9) Cars that have seatbelts that automatically come to life. Look, no hands.

10) God squad.

Another ten to follow...
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:58 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool, cool air

Originally posted by Peter Newton
<<snip>>

Talking of gas I have never seen so many different heartburn and indigestion remedies on the pharmacy shelves - must be all that rich food!

Naah! The heartburn and indigestion remedies abound 'cos so many American eat too much at one sitting. e.g. portion sizes are enormous, all you can eat buffets. Moderation is not a word understood by many Americans in my opinion.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 4th 2003, 2:27 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Naah! The heartburn and indigestion remedies abound 'cos so many American eat too much at one sitting. e.g. portion sizes are enormous, all you can eat buffets. Moderation is not a word understood by many Americans in my opinion.

NC Penguin
Very strange really since on a recent visit to 'Chick Fill-A' (what is wrong with their spelling in the US?) they gave the kids a tape on 'Moderation' in their kids meals. They obviously know what it means, they are just not very good at practising it. But one good thing for fast food places over here is that you can actually get a salad instead of the really fattening stuff and, as long as you don't put on the croutons and honey roasted pine kernels along with the two sachets of salad dressing, it's really quite healthy!

Emm.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

NC Penguin
It's interesting I reckon a lot of stomach upsets are actually food allergies - my wife suffers from all sorts of allergies - especially food allergies.

When we lived in the UK, she hardly ever had problems. Now we're back here she has an allergic reaction at least once a month. It just shows you the crap they put in the food over here.

I also have a thorn in my side about the supermarkets in New York. They are filthy, disgusting places (even 'high end' places like Food Emporium and Da'gostino).

Sainsbury's would do really well over here...

"This feta cheese was made from the milk of Ewes, which feed on fresh herbs and bask in the midday sun on a Greek island, whilst having their wool teased by naked 16 year-old virgins..."
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Emm
...on a recent visit to 'Chick Fill-A' (what is wrong with their spelling in the US?)
Do I take it to mean that the British spelling would be "Chick-Fill-It"?
<g>
All in good fun, you know
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Peter Newton
It's interesting I reckon a lot of stomach upsets are actually food allergies - my wife suffers from all sorts of allergies - especially food allergies.

When we lived in the UK, she hardly ever had problems. Now we're back here she has an allergic reaction at least once a month. It just shows you the crap they put in the food over here.

<<snip>>
Goes back to what I wrote earlier (or maybe in another thread on BritishExpats) about the US having poor food labelling compared to the EU.

Consumers are in the dark about what is in the food and in what kind of quantity and percentage.

e.g. artificial caramel color, food colorings in a much wider range of foods (and medicines!) than in the UK, MSG...

NC Penguin
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is, I've gained 6 pounds in weight in just 3 weeks! and I've only eaten in one fast food restuarant:scared:
Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing Greg is really apalled with is the attitude to alcohol here... he can't believe how people don't drink veyr often and that he gets carded every single time he goes to buy a beer. He didn't belive me once when we went into a shop to buy alcohol that if I was with him, they would card both of us (I didn't have my ID on me) and when they did, he stormed out of the store screaming about how backward America was! It makes me laugh... I have to interpret things he says to our friends sometimes and when he's on the phone and says "who's that?" instead "may I ask who's calling?", he ALWAYS has to repeat himself... There's so much more, but I don't have the time
Old Aug 4th 2003, 9:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Goes back to what I wrote earlier (or maybe in another thread on BritishExpats) about the US having poor food labelling compared to the EU.

Consumers are in the dark about what is in the food and in what kind of quantity and percentage.

e.g. artificial caramel color, food colorings in a much wider range of foods (and medicines!) than in the UK, MSG...
That's definitely swings and roundabouts as US expats in the UK complain that food in the UK is badly marked and contains all sorts of cr@p. There are several food additives and colors that are legal in the UK and Europe, but not in the US, it's just a matter of what you are used to.

..... And Americans will ask with great glee about mad cow disease if you try and tell them how good British food is! So we (Brits) find ourselves in a nasty "people in glass houses ...." situation.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

ALKYHOL...

Don't get me started on alcohol!!

*Eeeps, no voddy in the supermarkets! I have yet to make it to a liquor store to pick some up.

*Having to show ID on purchase.
On my first trip to a bar no one warned me I needed photo-id and we didn't even make it into the building. Had to turn right round, go home and dig out my UK driving license which I had luckily a)brought with me at all, and b)exchanged from my original paper copy to the new format photo one on a whim. (didn't want to risk losing my passport carrying it around, cos I would)

*Alcopops - Smirnoff Ices are called beers and have no Smirnoff in them!! Huh?!!

*I was also told that carrying an open bottle of beer in a car, even if the driver was not drinking, was illegal and could result in DUI charges. ??? Crazy.

BATHROOMS...

Yup, that gap around public cubicles REALLY bothers me. As do those automatic loos that either flush too soon and I have to try to retrigger them, or don't trigger at all and I just end up standing there confused willing them to work. Gah. Every time I visit the ladies it's a scary experience at the moment.

And how on earth is that flat pancake of plastic in the bath a plug?!! That is supposed to stop the water draining?!! No way?! Every bath I've attempted so far I'm continually having to top it up to stay submerged. And while we're in the bath, where is it anyhow? That's what we'd call a shower tray!

FOOD...

I always check the best before dates on food items and take the one with the longest shelf life. Seem to be having difficulty finding this marker on many items in the States though. Maybe it's well hidden? Or maybe US food has so many preservatives in it things do last forever?!!

Wasn't too happy about having an allergic reaction to some "nut-free" biscuits either.

ACCENT...

We speak the same language, so I was not prepared for the number of times I would have to repeat myself before being understood (or not), and get my bloke to translate for me to shop assistants. (How can I possibly be saying "coleslaw/slaw" wrong?!) And how many times can I say "huh, you what?" to him in one day?! Though sometimes I admit it's fun to play dumb too! *giggles* ssshhhH!

Okay, think that's enough for one post.

K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.