Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Little things that surprised you about America

Little things that surprised you about America

Old Jul 27th 2003, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this before, ( ie could not be arsed checking) But why does nobody walk anywhere in the USA ? I noticed that in VA & DC area anyway, nobody was walking anywhere, even my fiancee commented on how strange it was to see everybody walking places in the UK compared to the US.
Come visit NYC, a lot of walking going on. Especially in Manhattan. Checked out Brooklyn Bridge, thousands of people walking, bike riding, roller blades from Brooklyn to Manhattan & back. Daily exercise to & from work for a lot of people.

I agree most Yanks, take the car to get a newspaper, 100yds away.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TimEh?
That one gets me an' all. Canadians make the same mistake. And then there's "Oh do the Hokey Pokey" instead of Hokey Kokey. Hokey Pokey is really an old English term for ice cream.

Have I mentioned the use of Sow-thern instead of Southern before? (I know I have.)
In New Zealand, hokey pokey is a type of ice cream which is vanilla with chunks of butterscotch through it.

The yanks also say "I could give a crap". Oh, so you do care then?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kaleb777
In New Zealand, hokey pokey is a type of ice cream which is vanilla with chunks of butterscotch through it.

The yanks also say "I could give a crap". Oh, so you do care then?
Since we're now off on irritations, I could never understand in car ads why they say things like "with available V8" when I think they mean its an option.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 9:19 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by TimEh?
That one gets me an' all. Canadians make the same mistake. And then there's "Oh do the Hokey Pokey" instead of Hokey Kokey. Hokey Pokey is really an old English term for ice cream.
But then, Hokey-kokey is a corruption anyway of (IIRC), hoc est corpus . Apologies to those who already knew this, but it originally started out as a Protestant parody of the Catholic mass. Who said Puritans have no sense of humour?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 10:47 am
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Is it really? I thought it was something I got on my birthday (if the wife hasn't got a headache..!)

Nursery Rhymes get changed as well - the grand old duke of york becomes the noble duke of york. 'Atishoo atishoo' in ring a ring a roses becomes 'ashes ashes', which both really bug me. Kinda sad that a grown man is complaining about the bastardisation of nursery rhymes on a website at 10.30 on a saturday night....I'd never hasve thought it possible a few years ago (ie pre-kids!)

Pimpbot- try 'fortnight' on them. Total blank.
And to bring it up to date - Harry Potter and the Philosphers Stone was renamed to Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone for the US buying public. What's next? Harry Potter and the Small Room of Secrets?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:15 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by tbiller
And to bring it up to date - Harry Potter and the Philosphers Stone was renamed to Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone for the US buying public. What's next? Harry Potter and the Small Room of Secrets?
I've never been able to figure out why they renamed books for the US market. A British friend told me about the newest book by Marcia Willett called "Forgotten Laughter" which I wasn't able to find anywhere, until she herself discovered that it had been renamed "A Summer in the Country", when she ordered it on Amazon thinking it was a new book. Go figure
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this before, ( ie could not be arsed checking) But why does nobody walk anywhere in the USA ? I noticed that in VA & DC area anyway, nobody was walking anywhere, even my fiancee commented on how strange it was to see everybody walking places in the UK compared to the US.
I agree for the most part. Much of the US isn't pedestrian friendly. Though the distance may be short from one shopping center to another (even across the street from each other), it can be very unsafe to attempt to walk across the road (even if it's two lanes altogether).

Bigger and more established cities have sidewalks in the downtown area and beyond (the suburbs) e.g. NYC as Frank R mentioned.

However, such places are the exception and not the norm as in the UK and much of Europe (if I'm not mistaken).

Can you imagine if Americans walked as much as other nations how the health of the US would improve?

NC Penguin
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:22 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
I've never been able to figure out why they renamed books for the US market. A British friend told me about the newest book by Marcia Willett called "Forgotten Laughter" which I wasn't able to find anywhere, until she herself discovered that it had been renamed "A Summer in the Country", when she ordered it on Amazon thinking it was a new book. Go figure
My understanding was that in the case of Master Potter the American market would more easily understand/identify the use of the word "Sorcerer" over "Philosopher". What that says about the US publishers opinion of the intellect of the target buyer escapes me. Pretty damn insulting IMHO.

Stuff is renamed all the time - especially in the movies.

Last edited by tbiller; Jul 28th 2003 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I agree for the most part. Much of the US isn't pedestrian friendly. Though the distance may be short from one shopping center to another (even across the street from each other), it can be very unsafe to attempt to walk across the road (even if it's two lanes altogether).

Bigger and more established cities have sidewalks in the downtown area and beyond (the suburbs) e.g. NYC as Frank R mentioned.

However, such places are the exception and not the norm as in the UK and much of Europe (if I'm not mistaken).

Can you imagine if Americans walked as much as other nations how the health of the US would improve?

NC Penguin
One major difference between small town USA and small town Canada is that we have sidewalks.

Re the walking thing: When I first visited my sister in the States as a teenager (fresh from the UK) I would almost daily walk about 1/2 a mile along a busy road to get from her trailer park to the motel where she worked so that I could go swimming. The cops would slow down and just stare at me as they drove past. At that time I had no idea what I was doing wrong (walking).
Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Are you sure it was not called Harry Stoned & the Philopspher's Pot in certain corners of the globe ?

Jovially Yours
Old Jul 29th 2003, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how about this

in the US they DO have eau de toilette, eau de cologne and eau de parfum. EDT is quite literally, your bog-standard watery perfume mist. EDP or EDC are the stronger varieties. I dont think there's a great deal of difference between those two but if there is, EDP might be slightly more concentrated or it could just be a cologne/men parfum/women thing depending on the brand name.

BTW I grew up in New England and to this day I still dont have ONE single allergy!!

I'm american and I sure as heck was told what a philosopher and a sorcerer were. Heck, I saw (and Played!) Sorcerer's Aprentice! And a sorcerer and a philosopher are NOT the same thing.... I also had my share of Marx, Kant, and other philosophical types in school too. As an American, I'm quite offended by the changing of that title.

When I have been to DC, I have always seen people walking around. Students, workers, people on the subway, and so on. Maybe it was the off-season (congress out of session) when you went? I lived in Boston and walked or took the bus/T everywhere. I never owned a car until I moved to England! How ironic is that??
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:23 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: how about this

Originally posted by Jo Brayne
I'm american and I sure as heck was told what a philosopher and a sorcerer were. Heck, I saw (and Played!) Sorcerer's Aprentice! And a sorcerer and a philosopher are NOT the same thing.... I also had my share of Marx, Kant, and other philosophical types in school too. As an American, I'm quite offended by the changing of that title.
I think it's the publishers in the US who decide to make these changes, though God knows on what they base their decision
to do so.
Sorcerer probably sounded more "exciting" to whoever made the change I don't think it was meant to be insulting...
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Dara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default List

The following observations spring to mind:

1) Obsession with white teeth.

2) The standard of driving.

3) 'Proud to be an American' stickers on Toyota's.

4) News coverage - don't blink.

5) T.V censorship. Ok to show animals getting mutilated or the 'Exorcist' during the day, but one may not curse. Well, not unless you have a machine gun.

6) Every other word is 'like'. For example, he is 'like' 7 or 'like' 8 years old!! How can one be 'like' 7 or 8????

7) Employees at supermarkets counting thousands of dollars in front of you while they cash up. Top security!!!

8) Criticism of English food when your contribution is the hamburger!

9) Cars that have seatbelts that automatically come to life. Look, no hands.

10) God squad.

Another ten to follow...

Last edited by Dara; Jul 30th 2003 at 1:56 am.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:59 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: how about this

Originally posted by Ranjini
I think it's the publishers in the US who decide to make these changes, though God knows on what they base their decision
to do so.
Sorcerer probably sounded more "exciting" to whoever made the change I don't think it was meant to be insulting...
I think it's because they thought Americans wouldn't be familiar with the legend of the Philosopher's Stone, rather than because they wouldn't know what a philosopher was. Though as it is explained in the text (well, it was in the film, anyway, haven't read any of the HP books), that explanation doesn't really hold water.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 9:48 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not defending the publishers, but when Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone was first published, it wasn't a world changing event as it is now. It was the first one and they probably weren't sure how the book would fair with the buying public. Also the book was aimed fairly and squarely at children , so maybe they thought it might be a bigger clue as to what the basis of the story is, and more appealing, if Sorcerer was in the title?

Any way, things that surprise me...
People don't seem to know where the indicaters are on their cars.
They always assume you must know where they are going.

People never apologise for bad service. For instance, if in a restuarant I order chicken salad, but get a tuna salad, when I tell them the order is wrong, they say something like " Oh, you want chicken, that's not a problem" as if I've changed my order! Why can't they just say "sorry" once in a while? Has any one else experienced this?

I could go on, but then I'd seem like a real misery!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.