Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Little things that surprised you about America

Little things that surprised you about America

Old Jul 16th 2003, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsLondon
I was extremely surprised and dismayed by the 'restrooms' in shops, restaurants etc. They have HUGE gaps under the doors so you can see most of your legs as you sit on the throne, and also big gaps at the sides of the door so that from a certain angle, people queuing up to 'go' can have a perfect view of you 'about your business.' Most disconcerting! I wonder why?
I've posted this before (not that that ever stopped me) but I was dismayed upon arrival here for the same reasons (the big gaps). Also, how about half-hight doors on your cubicle (at a drive-in theatre) and no doors at all (at one place I worked). This was many years ago and thankfully it's only the gaps we still have to put up with these days.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:06 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Another thing that surprised me about America was the newspapers. From our respective national stereotypes, you'd expect British papers to be more news-oriented but a little staid, whilst American papers were simplistic, propagandist and obsessed with celebrity trivia. So it came as something of a shock to find that the exact opposite was true.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nxylas
Another thing that surprised me about America was the newspapers. From our respective national stereotypes, you'd expect British papers to be more news-oriented but a little staid, whilst American papers were simplistic, propagandist and obsessed with celebrity trivia. So it came as something of a shock to find that the exact opposite was true.
You obviously haven't seen fox news, fairly unbalanced! It is the sunday sport of TV news, it is too awful to contemplate yet it is the top rated news channel - go figure

Patrick
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:27 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by nxylas

Actually, I find American newspapers quite boring. I much prefer some of the Canadian newspapers. I buy "Hello!" magazine each week. I guess I must miss the celebrity trivia
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:40 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Ranjini
Actually, I find American newspapers quite boring.
That was sort of my point. As for Fox News, that isn't a newspaper. It seems that the positions of print and broadcast media are the opposite in the States to what they are here. Here, broadcasters are expected to maintain a neutral stance whilst newspapers can be as partisan as they like. It seems to be the opposite in the US, at least outside New York, where the liberal New York Times battles for circulation with Murdoch's conservative New York Post. Amazingly, it seems to win, which is a bit like The Guardian outselling The Sun.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Surprised by Kindness

I was surprised by the kindness shown to my family by a stranger:

The first time we ever visited the States from Canada, we drove down into Montana in our newly-acquired, canary-yellow, 1957 Buick. Near the town of Kalispell we lost one of the U-joints on the drive shaft. I took it to a dealer in that town but had no money to pay for the repair. The owner fixed it without hesitation and trusted me to send him the money when I got back to Calgary.

I did have to sign a promissory note, but I had no idea what I was signing. Well I was only 21 and as green as grass.

I like the Western States. I have visited them all except New Mexico and have generally been treated very well.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Surprised by locomotive horns

Boy, the first time you are exposed to those North American locomotives you sure know it.

We moved to a small village south of Calgary (now well within the burbs) a few months after emigrating. This old two-story house was on a crossroads one leg of which immediately crossed a railway track. Several freight trains pulled by anything up to 3 locomotives would trundle by each night, shake the whole house and sound those unmistakable air horns several times as they approached the railway crossing.

I moved in before my wife and family as they were in the UK on a quick visit. First night there, as the first train approached, my wife (fast asleep) jumps out of bed in her black negligee nightie (well, she'd bin away a long time) and tries to open the second story window. Turns out she was sleep-walking and thought one of our kids was on the railway track. If I’d not been there I hate to think what might have happened once she got that window open.

We not only had to put up with the trains but with landlords who partied 'til six in the morning most weekends. How we survived those days I don't know. Ironically, one of my jobs during that time was working on those same types of locos on the CPR.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Patrick_A is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our toilets are bad?

You ought to go to China and try to take a dump. Never had to worry about aiming a dump till i got there!
Patrick_A
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all
Default Our toilets are bad?

Sounds like the French hole in the ground toilets...'Ã la turque'....still to be found and still presenting problems with what to do with pants when squatting, and still giving feet placed in the footprints a good soaking if one doesn't jump out of the way quick enough!
It's easier the real French way.....by the side of the road and no-one cares if you have 'un pipi' there!
Old Jul 26th 2003, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been to the US but I know none of them understand the term is "I couldn't care less" not "I could care less".
Old Jul 26th 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

No one says "Twice" here either. Its always "Two times"

Also on an earlier point, Fox news is the biggest right wing agenda drum beating news service that Bush could possibly hope for. Fair and balanced my ass.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 11:23 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Until I moved here I was completely unaware just how, in the minds of so many people, the American Civil war is still very much an ongoing conflict. I've noticed you even have to even have to be careful what you call the war.

When I first visited the US I was utterly amazed at how inconvenient the whole add-the-tax-on-the-price-only-when-you-get-to-checkout thing was/is. I kept wondering why things were always more expensive than it said on the price tag. It still strikes me as a wierd way of doing things.

10 days holiday a year came also came as a bit of a shock.

Excess packaging - everything is double or triple wrapped. Even when they bag groceries for you they put one bag inside another, no matter the weight/number of items.

And as for the TV News, Fox news is what Josef Goebbels would have come up with if the nazis had had cable TV.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by kaleb777
I've never been to the US but I know none of them understand the term is "I couldn't care less" not "I could care less".
That one gets me an' all. Canadians make the same mistake. And then there's "Oh do the Hokey Pokey" instead of Hokey Kokey. Hokey Pokey is really an old English term for ice cream.

Have I mentioned the use of Sow-thern instead of Southern before? (I know I have.)

Last edited by TimEh?; Jul 27th 2003 at 2:49 am.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 3:31 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TimEh?
Hokey Pokey is really an old English term for ice cream.
Is it really? I thought it was something I got on my birthday (if the wife hasn't got a headache..!)

Nursery Rhymes get changed as well - the grand old duke of york becomes the noble duke of york. 'Atishoo atishoo' in ring a ring a roses becomes 'ashes ashes', which both really bug me. Kinda sad that a grown man is complaining about the bastardisation of nursery rhymes on a website at 10.30 on a saturday night....I'd never hasve thought it possible a few years ago (ie pre-kids!)

Pimpbot- try 'fortnight' on them. Total blank.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Dont know if anyone has mentioned this before, ( ie could not be arsed checking) But why does nobody walk anywhere in the USA ? I noticed that in VA & DC area anyway, nobody was walking anywhere, even my fiancee commented on how strange it was to see everybody walking places in the UK compared to the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.