Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Little things that surprised you about America

Little things that surprised you about America

Old Jun 5th 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Little things that surprised you about America

I mean things you didn't know before you got here.

For example, I knew they had upside down light switches, and put cream in their coffee. I knew most of their spelling (except driver's "license" for licence) and lots of their vocabulary.

But I didn't know they called main courses "entrees"!! We were astounded the first time we went into a supermarket at the rows and rows of freezers full of frozen entrees, but strangely no frozen main courses.

I didn't know until recently that they didn't cross cheques. I kept crossing mine and writing "not negotiable" on them for 3 years, until one day our landlord told us the bank wouldn't let him deposit our rent cheque because of it. Confusion all round..

I didn't know that apple sauce was so popular here. Still don't know what they do with it all.

I also didn't know they don't (at least in New England) ever say the phone's engaged, just that the line is busy.

And I didn't know they drove on the right, until we had a few near misses on the highway (just kidding )

Oh... and I didn't know you had to say "just kidding" after every smart remark.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

What suprised me the most was how different the real US is to the hollywood/tv version.

Food portions seem to be 5 times the size of the UK.

For her part, my fiancée found the most surprising things in the UK were the concessions made for animals. In public transport, all the walking areas, bins especially for dog waste and how people walked so much and you were expected to have your dog with you.

Just how walker and pet friendly the country is and how many people really do walk a lot.

The fact that you can go just about anywhere on public transportation
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little things that surprised you about America

Originally posted by chch

<<snip>>
How about this l'il list?

Legally being able to turn right on a red light (at least where I live in NC)
Unlimited refills on soft drinks (I think this is prevalent in the South). Doesn't make any difference to me 'cos I can't even finish a glass of soda anyway.
Lack of sidewalks in my area but then I saw the size of many people round here
Pork barbecue is more than just ribs (anyone else like NC BBQ?)
Very odd grills in cookers (can't adjust the intensity of heat, just the shelf)
No run resistant tights/pantyhose
the lack of public conveniences (usually found in department stores and eateries) but no freestanding loos
the use of manufacturer coupons when grocery shopping and taking advantage of double and triple coupon days

Anyone else care to add to the list?

NC Penguin
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That "all you can eat" buffet restaurants really do exist; and not only that, people do go there and really do stay until they have eaten all that they can.

I was also surprised by the right-on-red thing when I first came here, and it is pretty much universal across the US now (BTW NC is one of only eight states that doesn't allow left-on-red into a one way street), and also by the almost universal use of STOP signs at intersections. Even if I can see both ways for several hundred yards, or more, legally I must come to a stop before proceding. Why???

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 5th 2003 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:29 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by Pulaski
That "all you can eat" buffet restaurants really do exist; and not only that, people do go there and really do stay until they have eaten all that they can.

I was also surprised by the right-on-red thing when I first came here, and it is pretty much universal across the US now (BTW NC is one of only eight states that doesn't allow left-on-red into a one way street), and also by the almost universal use of STOP signs at intersections. Even if I can see both ways for several hundred yards, or more, legally I must come to a stop before proceding. Why???
That right-on-red thing gets my goat. There are hardly any pedestrians here in Dallas - seriously.. I walk down street after street and meet no-one - and they don't expect them. So they flash round the corner having done a quick check for SUV obstructions and have nearly killed me and my daughters more than once. That's probably my biggest pet-hate. And now I said it - AGAIN! - I feel better... till the next time someone tries to make mincemeat of my family!

:scared:

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Jun 5th 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Flyscreens on all the windows. (And we live in Boston!)

Allergy medication ads on TV all the time. EVERYONE suffers from allergies.

All the drug ads in general on TV actually.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

aramintaalice is an unknown quantity at this point

For example, I knew they had upside down light switches, and put cream in their coffee. I knew most of their spelling (except driver's "license" for licence) and lots of their vocabulary.

But I didn't know they called main courses "entrees"!! We were astounded the first time we went into a supermarket at the rows and rows of freezers full of frozen entrees, but strangely no frozen main courses.

I didn't know until recently that they didn't cross cheques. I kept crossing mine and writing "not negotiable" on them for 3 years, until one day our landlord told us the bank wouldn't let him deposit our rent cheque because of it. Confusion all round..

I didn't know that apple sauce was so popular here. Still don't know what they do with it all.

I also didn't know they don't (at least in New England) ever say the phone's engaged, just that the line is busy.

And I didn't know they drove on the right, until we had a few near misses on the highway (just kidding )

Oh... and I didn't know you had to say "just kidding" after every smart remark.
I read Bill Bryson and was pleasantly surprised to find that they really do say 'You're welcome' after every 'thank-you' no matter how close together the 'thank-you's come or how many times you say it. My husband and I had some quite funny moments seeing just how many times we could make them say it. Quite often it became ridiculous and we'd have to stop because we'd begin to feel sorry for the victim!
Old Jun 8th 2003, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Prudes.
Knew they were, but never realised just how bad. Tiolet Paper, they can't say it. Eau De Toilette, they can't say it. Worse they get embarrassed by the word. Hence Bathroom tissue, I want to blow my nose.

Most ridiculous prudish society
Until quite recently America boasted a Society for Indecency to Naked Animals. As Peter Fryer nicely observes it should have been "against" rather than "for" "but the founder was stricken in years when he drew up his will." What worried the Society was the sight of naked sex organs on animals. In consequence efforts were quickly made to design bikinis for stallions, petticoats for cows, knickers for bulldogs, and boxer shorts for small animals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Illustrated Book of Sexual Records.
© 1974, 1982, 1997-2001 G.L. Simons
Back to Home Page

Walmart sells guns & ammo, but has banned Maxim & Fh mags. I hear now going to cover mags with risky words on the cover. "SEX" "HOT" "HORNY"
Yet happy to blow Bambi's brains out for fun.

Frank R.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 4:34 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Flyscreens on all the windows. (And we live in Boston!)

Allergy medication ads on TV all the time. EVERYONE suffers from allergies.

All the drug ads in general on TV actually.

I never suffered from allergies until coming to this country! The doctor told me (and I am inclined to believe her too) that the north east of the USA is the worst place in the world for allergies! Even all the rapeseed in the UK never bothered me

How backwards the banking system is compared to the UK and that they don't spell Jewellery/jewelry or aeroplane/airplane the same. Never expected these words to be different.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 4:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by frrussre
Prudes.
Knew they were, but never realised just how bad. Tiolet Paper, they can't say it. Eau De Toilette, they can't say it. Worse they get embarrassed by the word. Hence Bathroom tissue, I want to blow my nose.

Most ridiculous prudish society
Until quite recently America boasted a Society for Indecency to Naked Animals. As Peter Fryer nicely observes it should have been "against" rather than "for" "but the founder was stricken in years when he drew up his will." What worried the Society was the sight of naked sex organs on animals. In consequence efforts were quickly made to design bikinis for stallions, petticoats for cows, knickers for bulldogs, and boxer shorts for small animals.

<<snip>>

Frank R.
So what's the American term for Eau de Toilette?

The animals thing is truly bizarre. I don't think the animals mentioned would much enjoy being clothed.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

NC

Eau De Cologne, I guess.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

The funny thing about the different spellings is that as a child in UK, the only words I knew was Colour =color & labour = labor.

I visited here, still never realized just how many words. Not until permanent residency.

Of course the date one still throws me after 17 years. I write it no problem. If some one say’s “What’s your date of birth� on the spot quick answer. Whoops month 1st or day 1st?
Still think that one is back to front. Day-month-year, makes sense. Month-day-year, odd.

UK, would be a buttered roll. Very British
US, Roll with butter. Very Euro

Frank R.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by NC Penguin
So what's the American term for Eau de Toilette?

The animals thing is truly bizarre. I don't think the animals mentioned would much enjoy being clothed.

NC Penguin
NC got the Animal clothing quote from this site, after doing a Google search "Prudish)

http://www.world-sex-records.com/sex-415.htm
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by frrussre
NC got the Animal clothing quote from this site, after doing a Google search "Prudish)

http://www.world-sex-records.com/sex-415.htm
What quote? What I wrote came straight from me. If there's something on the web that's identical, it's a coincidence...

NC Penguin
Old Jun 10th 2003, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Speaking of animals, why do they call budgies parakeets?
Budgie isn't hard to say!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.