British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Little Rock, Arkansas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/little-rock-arkansas-795851/)

Cainess May 2nd 2013 4:07 pm

Little Rock, Arkansas

We 'may' (depending on an upcoming job interview... :fingerscrossed:) be moving up from Houston to Little Rock- does anyone have any info/advice on LR or the surrounding area, in terms of areas to avoid, typical house prices, places to aim for,...etc.

Thanks!

Speedwell May 2nd 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Little Rock, Arkansas

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 10688936)
We 'may' (depending on an upcoming job interview... :fingerscrossed:) be moving up from Houston to Little Rock- does anyone have any info/advice on LR or the surrounding area, in terms of areas to avoid, typical house prices, places to aim for,...etc.

Thanks!

Areas to avoid: Little Rock.

OK, I'm biased. :D I'll shut up now and let other people talk about it.

jeffreyhy May 2nd 2013 7:00 pm

In the "etc." category - don't make fun of or bad-mouth Walmart. Although, fortunately, Arkansas does not have a 'stand-your-ground' law.

Regards, JEff

Regards, JEff

sir_eccles May 2nd 2013 7:20 pm

My wife is from Kansas and apparently you only pronounce it the same as Kansas if you are taking the piss.

lizzyq May 2nd 2013 7:42 pm

Arkansas National Anthem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miLhQCkLczA

Brit3964 May 2nd 2013 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 10689255)

:thumbsup: :rofl: It could apply to GA and WV too!

Manc May 2nd 2013 8:18 pm

northern arkansas is gorgeous.
the area around Ponca and the Buffalo river especially.

Yorkieabroad May 2nd 2013 9:47 pm

West side is pretty nice too. And the kids always want to stop in Hot Springs when we're up that way. I enjoy visiting Little Rock, but don't know it well enough to comment on living there.

pinky79 May 31st 2013 4:25 pm

I've lived close to Little Rock for about a year now. Will your job be based in Little Rock? Housing prices seem to vary depending on how close you are to downtown. There are lots of different things to see and do in the state and Memphis is only about 2/2.5 hours away from Little Rock.

Feel free to Pm me with any questions!

RoadWarriorFromLP May 31st 2013 6:25 pm

I claim no expertise, but I have done some business there, so I have some familiarity with the place.

There are lots of parts of Little Rock to avoid, so choose carefully. But still, there are some decent neighborhoods. Hillcrest is a liberal pocket located short drive west of downtown, with historic houses (relatively speaking - late 19th century through pre-WWII) and a semi-walkable commercial district with nice cafes and restaurants. The neighborhoods just north of it are good, too. This would make for easy commuting from downtown. If I was living there, that would probably be my choice.

http://littlerock.about.com/od/reale.../hillcrest.htm

http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/the...wFullText=true

There's also River Market, which is on the south side of the river near the Clinton library. It has bars and clubs, obviously aspiring to be a tourist area, with relatively-expensive-for-Little-Rock-but-cheap-compared-to-other-places lofts to rent. Personally, I prefer Hillcrest.

You might want to look at this list, and stick to the downtown/ midtown areas on the list: http://littlerock.about.com/cs/reale...ighborhood.htm

If you want more of a suburb, then Conway is a popular bedroom community that thrives in comparison to much of the rest of the state.

Hot Springs is too far of a commute, in my opinion. The traffic on the interstate is as bad as what you could find elsewhere in the country, and there are no alternative routes.

Xebedee May 31st 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks!

Been to Hot Springs and Little Rock.
It was hotter than a monkey's bum.

Scouse Express Jun 1st 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks!

Q: How can you tell a couple are married, in Arkansas?

A: There's Tobacco Spit down both sides of the 20 year old pick up truck.

mwdake Jun 1st 2013 9:08 pm

I moved to Little Rock for what was supposed to be 1 year but ended up there for 14 years.
There are lots of Brits, Irish, Australians and New Zealanders mainly due to Arkansas, at one time, being the only state to allow reciprocity for foreign nurses from these countries.

Like anywhere there are places to avoid but I think you will find Little Rock is quite a nice place to live. It is centrally located, has a smallish town feeling but is big enough to offer most big city amenities.

For somewhere to live there is Hillcrest with historic houses, Leawood is very pretty with big houses and big lots mostly built in the 60's but if you want more modern then you have to go a bit further west, west of I-430.

I can't really comment on current house prices as it has been a long while sine I lived there but use Zillow.com or Trulia.com and you will see maps of the areas with average or sale prices.

If you happen to work in healthcare then Little Rock is ideal as you can't swing a dead cat in Little Rock without hitting a hospital of some kind.

Cainess Jun 3rd 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone- we are now definitely going up to Little Rock, where I start work next month. We got a house not far from Cammack Village, which seems to be a decent area. It's definitely a lot prettier than Houston (not saying much, I guess) but just as hot- it's going to be a long summer.

mwdake Jun 4th 2013 12:42 am

Cammack Village is a nice area.
I used to live just a little south of there.
Little Rock does get very hot in the summer, and in the winter you have the occasional freak ice storm that brings the city to a standstill.