Reload this Page >

A little help please ...

A little help please ...

Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:32 am
Cause WHATEVER was taken

EVERWHAT will become famous soon enoughEVERWHAT will become famous soon enough
Default A little help please ...

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forum here on and off for the past few months. However I have only now registered. Thanks for all the good info and posts from everyone ... I really have learnt a lot.

Although I am truly a British Expat, having been born in the UK and now living in South Africa, I consider myself more African than English. I have lived in Africa most of my life. I hope that means I am still permitted here!

Where do I start ... For personal reasons, my wife and I decided to leave South Africa about a year ago. We were (are) looking at going to Australia, and actually have an application in at the moment. The problem with that is they have such a backlog we will be lucky if the application is looked at within 3 to 5 years!!

So what I really need to know is how does one get into USA? What are the visas that one can look at and how difficult is it?

I gather that these are not simple questions, and that it is REALLY hard to get into the US. However any info will help!!

Thanks everyone!!

Regards,
Mike
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little help please ...

Originally Posted by EVERWHAT
Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forum here on and off for the past few months. However I have only now registered. Thanks for all the good info and posts from everyone ... I really have learnt a lot.

Although I am truly a British Expat, having been born in the UK and now living in South Africa, I consider myself more African than English. I have lived in Africa most of my life. I hope that means I am still permitted here!

Where do I start ... For personal reasons, my wife and I decided to leave South Africa about a year ago. We were (are) looking at going to Australia, and actually have an application in at the moment. The problem with that is they have such a backlog we will be lucky if the application is looked at within 3 to 5 years!!

So what I really need to know is how does one get into USA? What are the visas that one can look at and how difficult is it?

I gather that these are not simple questions, and that it is REALLY hard to get into the US. However any info will help!!

Thanks everyone!!

Regards,
Mike
Hi and welcome!

I'm sure you're allowed here - heck, they even tolerate us (damn) yankees

Here's a wiki link that shows the various visas to come to the US. I'd suggest you have a read through, and see if you qualify for any.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!!

Regards,
Mike
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA_Immigration
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:19 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you are applying to Australia under any visa class with the exception of Parent class, your expected wait is less than 12 months. I have no idea why you think it will be 3 - 5 years?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:09 am
Cause WHATEVER was taken

Originally Posted by tking
Assuming you are applying to Australia under any visa class with the exception of Parent class, your expected wait is less than 12 months. I have no idea why you think it will be 3 - 5 years?
Just basic maths from my side. One can send a blank e-mail to receive updates on the time frame. I did send an e-mail on 15/05/08 and the processing date was 10th November 2008. Now we see today the processing date is [still] the 25th November. That means since we lodged on the 23rd May they have managed to process 15 days worth of applications (and they have been processing the 25th November 2007 from about the 4th August!!). Therefor 15 days worth of applications have taken 4 months and 10 days. There are another 6 months from the 25th Nov to the 23rd May (my application date), and at the rate of 15 days processed every 6 months, I am being kind when I say 3 to 5 years!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Just basic maths from my side. One can send a blank e-mail to receive updates on the time frame. I did send an e-mail on 15/05/08 and the processing date was 10th November 2008. Now we see today the processing date is [still] the 25th November. That means since we lodged on the 23rd May they have managed to process 15 days worth of applications (and they have been processing the 25th November 2007 from about the 4th August!!). Therefor 15 days worth of applications have taken 4 months and 10 days. There are another 6 months from the 25th Nov to the 23rd May (my application date), and at the rate of 15 days processed every 6 months, I am being kind when I say 3 to 5 years!
Your reasoning is flawed. The average wait time for a skilled visa to Australia is less than 12 months. The processing times given by DIAC on their automated updates are "worst case scenario" type and certainly not the norm. Take a look at www.austimeline.com for a real-life view of what's going on for timelines.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:49 am
Cause WHATEVER was taken

WOW ... thanks for all that info ... now I just have more questions!! hehehe

I dont suppose there is anyone I can "chat to" about my options, is there?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:51 am
Cause WHATEVER was taken

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Your reasoning is flawed...
That is the best news I have heard in a long tome ...

Thank-you ... I will go right away and take a look at the site you sugest ... thank-you again!!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:52 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

If you post on the Aus immigration forum there are a lot of people who can offer you advice.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:55 am
Cause WHATEVER was taken

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Dosent seem to be working ... "Connection Failure" ...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:19 am
Addicted to browsing BE

Do a google search for BE Update and Austimeline - but your wait is likely to be under 12 months - which visa have you applied for?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:24 am
Cause WHATEVER was taken

Do a google search for BE Update and Austimeline ...
Will do ... thanks very much!!

...which visa have you applied for?
It is a State Sponcership - 475 Visa.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:23 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

move up the forum levels (ie out of the US one) and post your questions in the Australia one. They will have hundreds of threads on this thing and lots of people going through the same thing. they will know far more about oz visas than we will.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:22 pm
Cause WHATEVER was taken

Originally Posted by MsElui
move up the forum levels (ie out of the US one) and post your questions in the Australia one. They will have hundreds of threads on this thing and lots of people going through the same thing. they will know far more about oz visas than we will.
Thanks ... but this was orginally a US question ... hehehe

I am also reading and finding out in the Aus side.

Thanks all the same!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Read the wiki link you have been given, but do rememeber that if your wife is South Africa born she is eligible to apply for the visa lottery. And you can also apply in your own right claiming chargeability to South Africa.

(visa lottery is based on birthplace - not citizenship).

But as others have said, Australian visas don't take anything like 3-5 years to process.